Butler requests

av01bps

what advice would you give to a first time with a butler on the Solstice family? We hope he/she will help arrange:

reservations

spa appts

make sure our dinner tables are together (we are 10 all together in three rooms on the same floor, yet not all connecting- 2 suite, on concierge class)

snacks, espresso...

what else?

We promise to be polite and not too demanding!:)

Thanks all!

They can handle all that you listed....but perhaps the dining reservations might be more difficult. Have you linked the reservations together so that they can try to assign them in advance?

For me the butler is all about in room dining....

Love to be able to have breakfast alone in the room while getting ready.. or snacks and wine on the veranda after a long day... And maybe 1x per trip- dinner brough in courses to the room.. when we are too tired (or late) to make it to the MDR.

It is bliss....

I am not a fan of buffet lines.. or searching for open/clean tables... so it is a treat for me.

On the first night of our last cruise, we asked our butler for all of the dinner menus for the main restaurant. We had them the following morning and we used that to decide which nights to go to the Specialty restaurants. Also, he switched the canapes for shrimp cocktails each evenings.

I mentioned that I had really liked a coconut pastry that I had gotten with morning coffee on a previous cruise and he had them baked specially for me. i never saw them on the buffet.

On one cruise, the collar of my husband's tuxedo shirt got bent backwards so the butler took it and pressed it himself.

If there is anything that you think would be nice to have, I would mention it to your butler. They will do everything possible to help you out.

Can you order the capaccino for breakfast? I've had them during the day. Now, I am thinking, what a nice treat to wake up with one.:)

Last time we sailed ( read 2002) we could.. Butler was happy to oblige. I would hope that has not changed!

I've found after more than a few suites with butlers that they will pretty much do anything to please you. (Well, except for the packing & unpacking which is advertised & I would never ask as we do our own. The only time I saw one packing was for a neighbor who had a heart attack; the butler & steward did all the packing for the wife so she could stay with her husband in the medical center before the Coast Guard got there to take them off.)

There are really good ones & some not as good (however we've never had a bad one). Not sure about the dining room arrangements, av, but I bet yours will do what he can. We've have had a couple of butlers who we asked to make last minute reservations on excursions or specialty restaurants which they did gladly. We even had one who somehow snuck a couple of bottles of liquor into our suite after my husband joked about needing a drink while he dressed (and, yes, he got a nice tip & of course, we paid for the bottles). I suspect they make friends with the crews in the shops & restaurants because they tend to get things done.

And I've also gotten the cappacino in the mornings so just ask & I'll bet it'll be there!

Carol (who is also on the same cruise as av01bps)

Can you order the capaccino for breakfast? I've had them during the day. Now, I am thinking, what a nice treat to wake up with one.:)

Actually, since I always have a double cappuccino at home every morning, we always have our butler bring us two (2) cups of cappuccino on board every morning. Just ask. And, the cappuccino is much better than ship's coffee.

I just disembark from Infinity one week ago and I confirm everything above. Butler is there for helping you so you have only to ask him and he will do whatever is possible in order to evade your request.

We had dinner every evening in suite, sometime also with other guest, we have cappuccino and espresso every morning, and also during the day he had always an espresso fo my DW at tea-time, even if not requested, but just because my DW like espresso.

So just ask and he will be pleased to help you during your cruise.

First time I had a butler I most definitely didn't make best use. My advice would be to talk to him when he comes round to introduce himself at the beginning of the cruise. A "Hello. Good to meet you. This is the first time we have had a butler. Could you give us an idea of what you can do for us?" is a good starting place.

I am going to try the unpacking... why not?:D

This is advertised so go for it, but it's not something I'd personally ask the butler to do. Apart from wanting to do unpacking myself so that I know where everything is, the butler always seems busy at the start of a cruise and I don't want to be too immediately demanding.

Phil

...we always have our butler bring us two (2) cups of cappuccino on board every morning.

I should point out that what I meant in the previous post, was that we had our butler bring us two (2) cups of cappuccino EACH (total of 4), every morning. It's what we drink at home, so we just asked our butler and it happened every morning and evening, from then on. Now, when the butler comes by to introduce himself, on the first day, we tell him that we always want two cups of cappuccino each, whenever we ask for coffee.

We certainly had so long as Cova was open at that time; not sure if you would be able to get one at a 6am wake up

I think (not positive) that the buttlers have their own espresso/capuccino machine and don't make make the run down to Cova for it. I'm fairly positive that they have a storage of juices around the suites or we ended up getting someone elses pitcher of tomato juice one afternoon ;).

I think (not positive) that the buttlers have their own espresso/capuccino machine and don't make make the run down to Cova for it. I'm fairly positive that they have a storage of juices around the suites or we ended up getting someone elses pitcher of tomato juice one afternoon ;).

Yes, I believe that you are correct. They don't haul it to the Cova for each cappucino request.

Please would someone be able to help with what l always find is a really difficult question to ask. Do we tip the butler each time they deliver us food, ie coffee, afternoon tea etc.

I also saw some where the prices of the speciality restaurants on Solstice can anyone help.

Many thanks

What we really want the butler for the in-cabin dinners. I know, MDR is what cruising is all about, but not for us.

We will probably be dining each night (except for 1) in our suite. I hate to be a pain, try to make life easy for others. Could we be kind and not have them serve it course by course?

I will probably ask for a double espresso too!:D

I tink there's a "pay at the end" tipping for butlers (a certain amount each day, right/per person?)

That's correct; there is an additional gratuity for butlers added to the autopay tippng that is added to one's account at the end of the cruise. This is the standard tipping amount that goes to the butlers for their day-to-day service. Tipping during the cruise would not be expected, but if your butler does an outstanding job, handing him an additional amount at the end of the cruise would be appropriate.

I believe the automatic tipping amount is $3 per dayper person or $42 for a 7 day cruise; I think that doubling that amount would be more than appropriate for an additional tip.

What we really want the butler for the in-cabin dinners. I know, MDR is what cruising is all about, but not for us.

We will probably be dining each night (except for 1) in our suite. I hate to be a pain, try to make life easy for others. Could we be kind and not have them serve it course by course?

I will probably ask for a double espresso too!:D

That's the primary reason we booked a suite; we are used to open dining and no formal nights, and we have no intention of schlepping formal wear to Alaska, of all places. Our cruise has two ports in which the ship does not leave until evening and we definitely don't want to be tied to a dining schedule on those evenings. It's kind of sad, with open dining we look forward to meeting different folks at each meal; it adds a fascinating dimension to our cruising, but now we're going to be stuck in our cabin.

I have no problem with the normal course-by-course serving, and I believe it's probably easier for the butler to operate in his or her usual manner. We will be asking for a lot of service -- hot breakfasts many mornings, dinner most evenings, shrimp instead of canapes, cappuccinos for DW, etc., and will add to his gratuity at the end of the cruise.

If you are not going to be using the main dining room, it is a courtesy to let the maitre 'd know. It's also a good idea to let the butler know ahead of time, perhaps as much as the day before, when you will be dining in the room. Of course, if you decide to use a specialty dining area (if your ship has them) or the alternative casual dining, you have to make reservations. And, if you use the main dining room, you have to be there at the appointed time. I MUCH prefer open dining; I don't have to let anyone know in advance where and when I want to be.

We will be asking for a lot of service -- hot breakfasts many mornings, dinner most evenings, shrimp instead of canapes, cappuccinos for DW, etc., and will add to his gratuity at the end of the cruise.

When is the butler expected to sleep or have time to himself?

What if every stateroom wants the same amount of service at dinnertime, at the same time?

I'm just curious what you expect to tip the butler for all this service, an extra $100?

We're also bringing our butler a small gift from our home state (a magnet or something small). As far as tipping, I agree- anyone who unpacks and packs my luggage earns their $$!!

:eek:

I like the idea of a small gift. Since we are leaving tomorrow, I can't pick up anything from home. Any suggestions of something to buy while on a Caribbean cruise?

Archived