First-timers Back from Zui! 11/20-11/27

CatFan00

I wanted to post my thoughts while they were fresh. I rarely post on the board, but so many reviews helped me, and I wanted to give a little back.

Pre- Cruise

We stayed at the Reinassance in Ft. Lauderdale. Received a great rate through Priceline. Absolutely loved the hotel, and had a great dinner at a restaurant just next to the hotel. I cannot remember the name of it so I apologize. It started with a "B" and is right on a small waterway.

Embarkation

We had filled out all of the paperwork ahead of time, and it took less than ten minutes. It was fabulous.

Cabin

We had a Verandah Cat. A. The room was great with plenty of space and we used the balcony all week for breakfast and lots of reading. Flushing the toilet can scare you to death the first time.:D

Food

The Dining Room was very nice. Some of the food was excellent, some just ok, but was worth being waited on. Something we didn't find out until the last couple of nights is that at dinner, the Lido serves basically the same food as the Dining Room. They do not have as many choices, but we found this quite nice as by the end of the week, we were quite tired of dressing up, and it was nice eating when you wanted.

Entertainment

The shows were much better than we expected. We were not very fond of the cruise dancers and their shows, but loved the comedian, majician, and Edge. Also, there is a band in the Ocean Bar that we thought were great.

Service

This was our biggest disappointment by far of the cruise, however service was fantastic. Please let me explain. I do not think there was one staff member, crew member, or waiter that did not do a very good job outside of one particular drink waiter in the Ocean Bar that did not get our order right all week. I mean they were terrific. But by the end of the week, after talking and getting to know so many of them, we left with such an empty feeling. I realize this is simply my opinion and no one else's, but it really bothers me how overworked the crew is. I am certainly not talking about the regular staff. They seem to have it pretty nice. But we thought the regular crew were really being mis-treated. Let me please say, I know it is their choice to work on this cruise. I know it is far better than they have it in Indonesia and the Phillipines. But I think it is wrong, and by the end of the week, it started having an effect on our vacation. We loved most of the cruise, but this became such an overwhelming burden that it seriously will make us consider not going again. I understand other cruise-lines are no different. I know many companies do the same thing. But it does not make it right. I know for many of the crew, it is the only way for them to have a way to make it. But come on, treat them like human beings. Many that we talked to have a family that they will not see for atleast a year. Wives, children. They work 10-14 hours a day, 7 days a week for a year straight. I do not think that is right. This is simply my opinion, and I do not at all want to infringe on anybody else not having a problem with this. But for my wife and I, it bothered us greatly. I know for us, we would be willing to pay more money (sorry, I said it) for their to be more workers so that the crew could have atleast one day off a week. Maybe they could work 3 weeks on, and one week off. Something should be done. SOrry, I am rambling, but it bothered us greatly so I wanted to share it.

HMC

One of the most beautiful places on Earth. Even the raving comments on here cannot do it justice. We had a cabana, but probably would not do that again. No need for it there. Simply wonderful

St. Thomas

We did not like St. Thomas very much, but took a ferry to St. John and loved it. Trunk Bay is magnificent. Very similar to Kauai. We thought quite a difference between St. John's and St. Thomas, although it does take a bit of work to hit Red Hook at the right time, so do your homework. But we are not big shoppers, so if you are, St. Thomas is for you.

Tortola

We were a bit tired on this day, so did not go to the Baths. Therefore, maybe I should not comment on the island. We really didnt think much of what we did see in Road Town.

Nassau

Exiting the ship here is like going through a den of wolves, but we heard not as bad as Jamaica. Couldn't imagine. It was a fun experience though. People were very nice. Took a ferry to Atlantis. It was quite a site and definitely worth it.

Extras

Wanted to say a word about things we read on here and thought were useful or not for others to know. Did not need bungie cords as the doors to the verandah stay open if you want them to. Loved having the shoe organizer and over the door hanger for the bathroom. Never used the highlighters, but not a bad idea. Never used the medical kit, but it was nice to have in case. Ziplock bags work nicely.

Disembarkation

Not too bad, although not nearly as easy as getting on the ship. Thought it horrible walking across the catwalk to the terminal and seeing the workers scramble to call home. Thought the cruise-line made flying out more difficult by traying to "help" by having your baggage tags waiting for you. The line downstairs was much longer than the regular lines for customers. Also, they hand-checked every bag, as they do not have an x-ray machine. You might be able to get around this by not listing that you are flying out on your dis-embarkation sheet. It would be much easier just to check the 'Making my own plans' box.

Overall Negatives

The airport hassle. The before-mentioned floating sweatshop. St. Thomas and Road Town. Also, and this is just part of being on a cruise, but sometimes we felt like we were at an 'adult' summer camp for a week. Long lines, Immigration check-in at St. Thomas, dress code, constantly hearing Dane through the loud-speaker. Reminded me a bit too much of summer camp. But you are on vacation, so some of those things can get annoying. A small price to pay I guess.

Overall Positives

HMC! Trunk Bay. Breakfast on the verandah. Sail-away from the Crow's nest (a must atleast one day). All of the wonderful people we met. The view of endless ocean in front of us.

Well, sorry for the rambling, but those are our assessments. I might have forgotten a few things and will add them later. WOuld be glad to answer any questions. We had a great time, and would consider going again. The vacation would rank very close, but maybe just below a week in Hawaii for us. Thanks for reading!

I believe all were up and running except for one. I did look for that because I had asked the same question. I do not know what color the non-working one was, because none of it was there. If you asked a specific color, I might know if it was working.

Since you offered:p ...how about the green cabana on HMC? Was it there? Was it still in the same position (2nd from the left)?

You mentioned that you would not get the cabana next time...can I ask why not...what didn't you like about it?

Glad you had a good time & thanks for your reply!:cool:

I am almost positive I saw the green cabana. The one that is not up is to the right (if you are facing the cabanas) of the pink one. I don;t know how far over, but it is to the right. There were two, maybe three to the left. Those were all up. And I believe the green was one of those, also the tan and the pink I think. The reason I would not do it again is not because I did not like it. It was great. But it was a luxury, and I do not think it was worth the money. We spent almost all day in the water and on the beach, so I guess I mean we just did not use it worth $200. It should be noted, that it was not terribly hot while we were there. Maybe 80 degrees. If it was very hot, it would have been more worth it. If you have already paid for it, you will have a great time, so please do not let my comment stifle any excitement you have. We enjoyed it. We did not need it. If we went again we would have used sail7seas advice and spent the money towards a suite. Enjoy! You will love it.

Thanks CatFan. I agree it is a luxury...we're sharing it with another couple & my husband (even being italian) has to definitely have shade throughout the day...but I still agree. :rolleyes: Hope we have as nice a day as you did!

By the way...are you from KY?:cool:Just wondering?

I am almost positive I saw the green cabana. The one that is not up is to the right (if you are facing the cabanas) of the pink one. I don;t know how far over, but it is to the right. There were two, maybe three to the left. Those were all up. And I believe the green was one of those, also the tan and the pink I think.

Ok fingers crossed that the green one is indeed up and running. Just wish HAL would take me off the waitlisted list for that one. :(

CatFan00,

Excellent, honest review! I, too, used to feel guilty about the staff conditions and long hours they must endure. Our frame of reference gives us this feeling of guilt and clouds the positive. The staff works long hours, and they are away from their families for long periods of time; however, their standard of living is in great shape. Once you get to know some of the workers, and their stories, you see this is a great opportunity for many of them.

In 1994, we took our first cruise together on Celebrity's Horizon. It was on that cruise that we met Andrew, our first waiter. He was single at the time and was very positive and professional at his job. We got to know him, and later ran into him on the Galaxy, Century and Millennium. He is married now and has two children. He lives in a gated community outside of Manila, sends his kids to private school, communicates with his family via his lap top, and is now an Asst Maitre d'.

Many workers make between $1,200 -- $2,000 a month, which is tax free, and room/board is provided. Most contracts last 6 to 9 months, then they can return home until they want to start a new contract. Many make more money than some of our own Military personnel. Remember, a college grad in India makes about $125 a month, and his cousin working on a cruise ship is making 10 times as much. These workers can save enough money to return home and start a business, buy a home, and provide their families with a good middle class standard of living. Cruise ships are good for the global economy, and you should "tip large", and not feel guilty about your experience.

Enjoy!

Kel

Since1982...having not been to HMC yet this is purely speculative:o . But after doing alot of reading on this board & others I wanted one that was away from the crowds and the further down on the beach would be away from the crowds (I'm hoping:rolleyes: ). Some people though like to be right next to things like the food, restrooms, & bars so they would want to be further up the beach.

Anyway from what Ship Services says, every cabana is the same except for where there located on the beach (which is totally personal preference).

I hope that helps & hope that it made any sense.

Thank you kelmac for responding. I totally understand from talking with the crew why they do what they do. I do not think they would do it if it was not better for them. My main feeling is I just wish there was a cruise line that would go above and beyond. I realize this is a business. But once in a while, you do find businesses that will make a bit more effort to take care of their employees, and sacrifice some of the revenue. I know this will not happen just wishing it would.

It was the Bimini Boat Yard! Thank you. I thought their food was wonderful and would recommend it highly.

As far as cabanas are concerned. I would highly recommend getting one of the three down on the beach (pink, tan, green I believe). Unless you have serious handicap issues, these are the ones. The crowds down here are far less than the rest of the beach, and the walk is still short to everything. The crowds are not small because they are so far away. They are small because just before the pink cabana, the markers for the swimming area end. SO most people feel they cannot swim past that. However, they are simply marked that way as to notify that there will be "water toys" in the water beyond that. You are certainly permitted to swim there, and the toys were never a problem at all.

Congrats on a terrific first cruise CatFan! It is good to see experiences of others on the same cruise. With almost 2100 onboard and 350 in Club Hal, it was quite the crowds (we were on the same cruise). I had noticed you reading the rollcall at times (when it lists names at bottom who reads) - you missed a great CruiseCritic group - the best I've experienced on five cruises!:D We met before dinner nightly and it was a fantastic group.

The Zui was enjoyable for us, but didn't quite seem like the same awesome Holland America experience we had last Thanksgiving on Maasdam. Not a bad experience, but nothing that really stood out like last year except for our maginicifent waiter, Nana (table 77). Too bad you missed the Baths - they were definitely beautiful from our catamaran sail with Patouche. And you are definitely right about St John - it is totally different from St Thomas and well worth the trip there (fortunately Trunk didn't seem to crowded that day - it was one of the 5 beaches we went to via dinghy that day). When vacationing there, we go straight from STT to the ferry to get to St John and rarely spend any time on St Thomas. And HMC is beautiful as ever and definitely most peaceful down by the last three cabanas where we prefer to hang out. I still think I can feel those dolphins pushing me across the lagoon at Blue Lagoon (Nassau)!!

Your review will be something good to print and place with your photo collection - they are always so good to help remember a trip by!:) Again, congrats on your first cruise!

Archived