Princess Vs. Rccl

cruzinj

Hi, I'm new to these boards. I'd like to know what the people here at the RCCL board think about princess. In the past, I've been on both lines- and prefered princess. I'm thinking of doing the Island Princess or the Brilliance OTS. (I posted this on the princess board also) What ship is more beautiful? So far, it looks like the island princess would be more my taste. I didn't like the decor of the vision-class. People have told me that the Island P. is more beautiful.. but I've heard great things about the Brilliance too. In the past I've felt that Princess makes more beautiful, cozy, elegant ships with more choices. Just wanted to know what everyone at RCCL thinks of this comparison.

cruzinj

I just got off the Brilliance last week. Never, ever again. The food was only mediocre, the rooms cramped---and it was only a cot that we slept on with a 5 inch mattress. Creak Creak clunk all nite! The activities were geared to an older crowd. I have to say, though, that it was a Panama Canal cruise, so it attracted older folks. The drain on our balcony was filled with long black hair (we are short haired blondes). Ewwwww!!! The bathroom had a sewer odor all 10 days. The service was great, however. The ships decor was not to my liking. It seemed very den like. Lots of dark wood. I was on the Caribbean Princess in the spring, and absolutely loved it. Sorry I cannot vouch for the Island Princess, but from what I hear, Princess is consistent in their ships--Royal, unfortunately is not. My opinion of BOS was also the opinion of all 9 people who sat at our table. They are frequent cruisers, and were greatly disappointed in the inconsistency of the ships. I would probably sail RCL again in the future--just not this particular ship nor this itinerary.

Hi - we just returned from the VOS and have always traveled with Princess in the past. We had a great time on this cruise and really don't have any complaints. Everything was fine, the food was OK, the service was good however but will return to Princess becasue of the details and here is why -

1. Princess has fresh water pools

2. Princess limits the number of children on board. We traveled with 7 kids in our group so we were expecting lots of families but not as many as were on board. There were 850+ kids on the VOS and Princess limits it to approx 500.

3. Princess has self service laundry - it is nice to throw the bathing suits in a couple of times during the week to really get them clean. Hand washing just doesn't cut it day after day.. I know RCCL has laundry service on board but you pay a premium to get a one day turnaround. Fine for couples but tougher on families.

4. We like PC Dining. I always felt rushed in port to get back in time for dinner. 6:00 was too early and 8:30 was too late.

5. I like to watch movies on the big screen whether it is outside or in a theater. RCCL only offers them on TV.

6. RCCL ships have the WOW factor with wide open spaces and decor. I found that you "see" the people more because they tend to congregate in these wide open spaces.

cruizinj:

I responded to your questions on the Brilliance on the Princess boards.......my experience is almost totally opposite of vacationhappy. After 7 RC cruises we went on the Caribbean Princess.........we will sail Princess again but not the Caribbean Princess. We also plan on going back to RC and sail them again as well.

1. We did not like PC dining at all.........that was our fault and will do traditional in the future.

2. We did not like MUTS.........too loud especially at 9am!

3. Don';t care about self serve laundry.....I'm on vacation and won't be doing laundry

Princess has many nice features including the aft pool and their food is much better than RC........but 3150 passengers with limited public spaces created long lines at every venue from buffet to the shows.........you almost had to get to your show at least 30 minutes before hand or you didn't get a seat.

To give Princess another go we are going to book a smaller Princess ship in the future...........but we still love our RC experiences..........

I think the bottom line is you will have to try both and make up your own mind......both lines are very similar and both lines do things better than the other. In the end...........if you take out the things we didn't like, there really isn't much difference in the two products.............

Again, you will have to decide for yourself

1. Princess has fresh water pools

2. Princess limits the number of children on board. We traveled with 7 kids in our group so we were expecting lots of families but not as many as were on board. There were 850+ kids on the VOS and Princess limits it to approx 500.

I may be wrong but to the best of my knowledge none of the cruise lines use fresh water in the pools. emptying the pool every night they do not have to use chemicals, while empty at night the crew can wash and clean the pools.

This is the first time I ahve ever heard taht Princess limits the number of children

I agree with your other comments especailly self service laundries.

BTW I have sailed Princess about 3-times and enjoyed it

I'll have to agree I really enjoyed the fresh water pools on Princess. Their food is excellent.

Royal Caribbean seems to cater more to a younger more "athletic" crowd , rock walls, basketball, ice skating, etc..

Princess didn't have some of those amenities and the minature golf on the Caribbean Princess is a joke..

Princess, at least the Caribbean Princess, had four different pool areas (at least) so a deck chair in the vicinity of some pool was always available.

It just depends on what means the most to you!!

To me as long as on I'm a ship and sailing the seas it's better than being at work!! :D

When I sailed Diamond Princess, I instantly thought, "pretty on the outside, bland on the inside.." I really disliked the Princess layout... too many things crammed into to many spaces. And it looked like a new Ramada.

The spa was the least attactive I have ever seen, the buffet crowd flow was ridiculous and, for me, PC dining meant creating four identical dining rooms and then putting a cactus in one and calling it "southwest", hanging some grapes in another and calling it "i-talian", etc.. food is always subjective, but their food was some of the least enjoyable of any of my cruises. Again - bland bland bland. Drinks were well priced, but the weakest pours in all my cruises, no matter how well you tipped.

Service was universally bad/uncaring with the exception of my cabin attendant. And here again is the only place I give a nod to Princess. The cabins are well laid out and the beds are comfortable.

I have been on 2 of Brilliance's sisters (Radiance and Serenade) and think they are beautiful and tasteful inside and out.

It would take an amazing price for me to go on Princess again.

We've been on Grand, Golden and Star as well as Dawn Princess. Love the Dawn! All great cruises. BUT, the Brilliance is by far the most beautiful ship we have been on!! Our cruise experience on Brilliance is the exact oposite of crafty's. The food was quite good in the dining room, and the buffet was MUCH better than the buffets on the Princess ships. The 3 story dining room blows away Princess dining rooms for elegance. Service was outstanding in all areas. I would like to try the Island or Coral, but our next cruise is again on the Brilliance next April.

Archived