Should I get Medical Insurance for our cruise?

SirDomino

My wife and I will be taking a cruise next week and we will be going to Mexico, Belize and Guatamala via the Norwegian Spirit.

I have heard that if one has any serious medical issues that you will have to be evacuated to get medical care, typically to the nearest country with the best available hospital. This can be extremely expensive and many times a lot of these foreign costs, and evac fees are not covered by Blue Cross, Blue Shield, or other health insurance programs here in the US.

My question is, should we go ahead and get Medical Travel Insurance? Is this something that is recommended? If so, what companies do you have experience with, or would recommend?

Thanks!

This coverage is usually included in the travel insurance packages; there are many sources, including the cruise line, your TA or independant insurance sellers. I prefer to use tripinsurancestore.com, as I find the staff helpful and knowledgable, plus they pre-screen their policies and stand behind the products they sell. There are many other options out there.

The decision to buy insurance or not is personal; the main question is can you afford to pay for these costs if you happen to find yourself in the slight percentage that incurs them on each trip. A quick visit to the onboard medical center is not so costly compared to an air evacuation.

The first step is to read your policy or certificate and understand what is covered and what is not. It is impossible to make useful recommendations without knowing what overseas coverage you currently have. My coverage, for example, includes overseas care including med evac; others coverage does not.

The most important coverage, imho, is "real" medical evacuation. I define this as MY doctors determining if I need it and if so, to which facility. If the issuer of the travel coverage gets to decide, you will be taken to the nearest facility which THEY decide is reasonably equipped to handle what ails you. The chances of this decision agreeing with what your doctors think is best is roughly equal to my chances of winning a Nobel Prize in Physics .. not zero, in theory, but close enough.:)

The most important coverage, imho, is "real" medical evacuation. I define this as MY doctors determining if I need it and if so, to which facility. If the issuer of the travel coverage gets to decide, you will be taken to the nearest facility which THEY decide is reasonably equipped to handle what ails you. The chances of this decision agreeing with what your doctors think is best is roughly equal to my chances of winning a Nobel Prize in Physics .. not zero, in theory, but close enough.:)

So what insurance would you recommend that does have this coverage? all the ones I have seen say "Necessary medical Evac" which I am assuming it leaves it up to the companies to decide, and most likely to where.

Also, if I, or my Spouse needs to be evac'ed, will I be able to go with and will that be covered? I would hate if my loved one had to go alone.

My wife and I will be taking a cruise next week and we will be going to Mexico, Belize and Guatamala via the Norwegian Spirit.

I have heard that if one has any serious medical issues that you will have to be evacuated to get medical care, typically to the nearest country with the best available hospital. This can be extremely expensive and many times a lot of these foreign costs, and evac fees are not covered by Blue Cross, Blue Shield, or other health insurance programs here in the US.

My question is, should we go ahead and get Medical Travel Insurance? Is this something that is recommended? If so, what companies do you have experience with, or would recommend?

Thanks!

My insurance covers out of country up to 30 consecutive days. Albeit, at a "out-of-network" still meaning it's going to costs some $$'s. I do travel insurance for taht and the overall ease. Take a look at http://tripinsurancestore.com/ that's who we use and they answer questions in a heartbeat. Steve is the owner and has answered a bunch of questions from us. They do not oversell and are quite helpful with your circumstances.

Make sure it's not too late to get the insurance....sometimes, there's a time limit on when it's no longer available!

And check with your own medical insurance and see what it covers....some cover evacuations when out of the country--you don't need to buy it if your present policy will cover you.

I use www.insuremytrip.com to compare policies, but this close to your cruise you may be paying a premium. Many companies require you to purchase the insurance within 14 days of making your 1st payment to cover any pre-existing conditions.

I usually try to find a policy that has at least 500,000 medical coverage. The website I listed if you will click on each of the coverages it will give a full detail of what is/isn't included.

But, for me bottom line, I wouldn't even consider traveling without trip insurance. I go on 3 or 4 cruises a year, and I'm considering getting Annual trip insurance. It's much cheaper than if I were to buy the policies individually.

DUH!!!!:eek: Do Not go anywhere without you medical,trip cancellation,baggage,etc insurance if it is the last thing you do in my opinion~!i got mine thru travel agent or Princess or whoever,but get it.Put this at the top of your to do list.:eek: Whew!!

I will never buy my insurance through the cruiseline, you can get better coverage, usually cheaper through another company.

I use www.insuremytrip.com because they are great to work with. Just give them call and let them answer all your questions, then you can be sure of getting all the answers you need.

The one thing I make sure is that the trip insurance will serve as the "primary" carrier so that it will pay first without having to file a claim with my insurance at home first......hope this helps

You answered your own question there, YES you should get it. No one should ever cruise without it. The expenses involved can bankrupt a person.

Also most people should buy their Travel insurance while they still qualify for the pre existing condition waiver, because it does not just apply to the traveler to to their immediate family as well, if your mother, who has a heart condition, who is not traveling with you has a heart attack and you need to return home. You need that waiver to be covered.

I use insuremytrip.com to compare and purchase policy tailored to whatever trip I am taking.

I disagree that one should always purchase trip insurance. If one has everyday health insurance that covers you while travelling outside the country (including medical evacuation off the ship) it is generally not cost-effective to purchase trip insurance.

Thanks!

Your cruise is next week??? I'd be surprised if you can find medical evacuation insurance at this late date. Good luck!

I don't buy trip cancelation insurance but I always buy medical insurance. Because we travel a few times a year I bought a travel medical policy that is good for the whole year. It was $129 for our entire family. We bought from our auto club and verified that they cover medical evacuation from a ship.

If your own private insurance covers you out of the country AND you have at least 50,000 in med evac coverage, then no, I'd say don't bother... AND of course you can eat the cost of the cruise itself.

You are probably too late to purchase any pre-existing conditions coverage which is what we ALWAYS make sure we have.

I checked out medexassist and it was $35 for the wife and I, with $500k coverage and pre-existing conditions, Med Evac, etc.

Why is the "pre-existing" condition thing so important? Especially when the wife and I have no pre-existing health conditions?

I didn't think it was good to purchase the cancellation insurance, especially since we just booked it less than a week away, especially since it isn't even offered when you buy so close.

I appreciate all the advice so far. :)

I checked out medexassist and it was $35 for the wife and I, with $500k coverage and pre-existing conditions, Med Evac, etc.

Why is the "pre-existing" condition thing so important? Especially when the wife and I have no pre-existing health conditions?

I didn't think it was good to purchase the cancellation insurance, especially since we just booked it less than a week away, especially since it isn't even offered when you buy so close.

I appreciate all the advice so far. :)

If neither of you have any pre-existing conditions, then it does not matter. just be sure you know how the policy defines this.

Be aware that what many people call travel insurance is mostly non-insurance products. this is certainly true for med evac. Insurance offers you more protection against sharp claim practices and innovative reading of the policy to exclude benefits. Insurance which is issued in your state (as opposed to a group or franchised plan which is often not issued like this) offers you even better protection.

Nearly all the policies I am finding say it is a "Secondary Provider" so I am guessing I would have to file claims with my or my wife's health insurance, and whatever it didn't cover would then go to the medexassist or any other medical travel insurance.

Where would I go to buy an insurance that would be considered the primary before I have to use my current health insurance (Blue cross blue shield) ?

I figure having more than enough protection, especially for only $35 for both of us, may be better than just having our Blue cross/Blue Shield alone.

Any thoughts on that?

Well, my Blue Cross/Blue Shield said it would cover 70% of the fees internationally, as they are considered "Out of Network" and this included evacuation from a ship, medivac, etc.etc. They did mention of "Reasonable fees" so I guess if I am ripped off during an emergency it might be tough to recoup the funds.

I went ahead and supplemented our Health Insurance with Medexassist.com, which seemed to have gotten good reviews. They said that whatever the primary insurance did not cover they would cover. They also said they could "guarantee" payment to the providers to ensure there is no delay in medical treatment, etc. It was only $35, as all I wanted was medical and medivac coverage, etc. No need for trip cancelation, baggage, etc..etc..

Hopefully we won't need it, but I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry.

I recommend you check American Express Travel Medical Protection - for $18.50 per month billed to my Amex card my wife and I are covered year round whenever we are 500 miles or more from home - Medical and Dental coverage, and most important, evacuation to home (up to $100,000 covered) for both if one needs it. Try calling 1-800-297-2900 for info. i got itin place in fairly short time.

I recommend you check American Express Travel Medical Protection - for $18.50 per month billed to my Amex card my wife and I are covered year round whenever we are 500 miles or more from home - Medical and Dental coverage, and most important, evacuation to home (up to $100,000 covered) for both if one needs it. Try calling 1-800-297-2900 for info. i got itin place in fairly short time.

I already got the medexassist for $35 to cover the wife and I for the 7 day trip. But I went ahead and got the American Express plan, which is only $13 per month to cover both of us as well. For that little it can't hurt. :)

I guess now I am over insured. LoL.

I almost forgot, I was told that it is not 500 miles, but 150 miles. I was told that it was $149 for a year to cover my wife and I, or $13 per month. My wife and I are both under 30 years old, so that may be the difference in pricing.

You young kids get all the breaks.

So are you saying that AMEX sells you a different policy with a higher mileage requirement and higher premium than mine, due to your age?

Sounds like age discrimination, but I guess the law says its okay when it comes to profitability of insurance companies... :(

You need to check with your primary health insurance carrier.

That helps to make decision.

As to whether you should buy insurance or not for travel, that is a personal decision. I have debated this with another a people. From a statistic point of view, if you travel often, its a waste of money because you can afford to lose one as if you calculate how much you spend on each cruise, and add them up. But from a mental standpoint, losing all that money will not be fun.

Archived