Will an American feel welcome on the QM2

nitnyleo

beans for breakfast . . . mashed peas for supper . . . perhaps, I should look into booking with the French line, n'est-ce pas?

Can't you get a good fry-up for Breakfast? Or do they call that "A full English breakfast" (as compared to the Continental you'd get on a French line).

Can't you get a good fry-up for Breakfast? Or do they call that "A full English breakfast" (as compared to the Continental you'd get on a French line).

We Brits pride ourselves on our 'Full English/Scottish/Welsh/Manx (insert name of choice) Breakfast but they are as nought compared to the full Cholesterol engorged cornucopia you find on the menu of any NYC diner . Just walking past on the opposite side of the street causes your arteries to shrink in terror. I can't wait. Pancakes with butter, syrup, blueberry jam,a fried egg (or two) and crispy bacon, plus 1/2 gallon of coffee.

I may take my very own cardiologist.

Gari

We Brits pride ourselves on our 'Full English/Scottish/Welsh/Manx (insert name of choice) Breakfast but they are as nought compared to the full Cholesterol engorged cornucopia you find on the menu of any NYC diner . Just walking past on the opposite side of the street causes your arteries to shrink in terror. I can't wait. Pancakes with butter, syrup, blueberry jam,a fried egg (or two) and crispy bacon, plus 1/2 gallon of coffee.

Gari

And for an after, you can always buy one of those large pretzels from a street vendor.

I think we should design the ideal Cunard breakfast.

First course:

Flaked ears of prime Kansas corn exquisitely combined avec lait du vache Belgique et le sucre GRAND du Grenade.

Une oeuf extra-ordinaire du les foothills de Ma Baker's chicken emporium avec les soldat du l'armee Napoleon imperial.

Pain toastee avec la marmalade citrus.

Or, where it's actually cooked, 4 floors down in Britannia:

Cornflakes. Biled eeg. Toste.

Sssssshhhhh. Don't tell them.

I think we should design the ideal Cunard breakfast.

First course:

Flaked ears of prime Kansas corn exquisitely combined avec lait du vache Belgique et le sucre GRAND du Grenade.

Une oeuf extra-ordinaire du les foothills de Ma Baker's chicken emporium avec les soldat du l'armee Napoleon imperial.

Pain toastee avec la marmalade citrus.

Or, where it's actually cooked, 4 floors down in Britannia:

Cornflakes. Biled eeg. Toste.

Sssssshhhhh. Don't tell them.

For me, I don't think you can't beat the mushy peas served tableside, "a la minute" in Alan Bennett" Class... ;)

True White Star service! :D

Gari

Come to Philadelphia and we'll also include some nicely browned scrapple . . .

Come to Philadelphia and we'll also include some nicely browned scrapple . . .

Or come to Boston, and we'll have Baked Beans and Fenway Franks.

Wonder if they would serve that on Cunard?

Or come to Boston, and we'll have Baked Beans and Fenway Franks.

Wonder if they would serve that on Cunard?

Reminds me of the time we were visiting my cousin in RI and I said how delicious the beans were. "How do you make them like this?" "Open the tin and warm them!" (They were nothing like Heinz!) :D

You still doing the bangers & mash with the occasional pickled herring?

That stuff might even make Mexican Menudo look good.

We'll take a good ole Texas Chile & Cheese omelet with a side of hashbrowns, the heartburn alone will last you most of the day!!

Reminds me of the time we were visiting my cousin in RI and I said how delicious the beans were. "How do you make them like this?" "Open the tin and warm them!" (They were nothing like Heinz!) :D

So did you try the chowdah? There are 3 types of Clam Chowder that I know of, and RI is one of those types. I think they use Quahogs . . .

What, in the name of all things culinary, are 'Scrapple' and 'Quahogs'?

I hope they don't taste as weird as they sound.

Gari

Well Gari, I am shocked that with your passion for black pudding you talk of weird food. Never heard of quahogs but Scrapple is a chopped meat that is fried rather like corned beef hash, you can only get it in Philly as far as I know. I haven't had it for 20 years but I remember it quite fondly. (I think)

Well Gari, I am shocked that with your passion for black pudding you talk of weird food. Never heard of quahogs but Scrapple is a chopped meat that is fried rather like corned beef hash, you can only get it in Philly as far as I know. I haven't had it for 20 years but I remember it quite fondly. (I think)

Quahogs are a hard shell clam used in clam chowders, and are found from Prince Edward Island to the Yucatan Peninsula, but are most common along the North-East US seaboard. The name is from a Narraganset word. It's also the official shellfish of Rhode Island.

Isn't travel educational? ;)

scrapple is a type of cornmeal mush and whole wheat flour mixed with pre-cooked, shredded meat(pork usually) and formed into a loaf. It is then sliced and fried in your choice lard, bacon grease or other preferred cooking oil to a crisp outside texture with a mealy, mostly cornmeal flavored inside.

(personally not one of my favorites)

The official shellfish of Rhode Island? The mind boggles!!!!

Well, being the smallest state in the USA by area, (about the size of one of your counties :D) . . . they do things to get noticed.

scrapple is a type of cornmeal mush and whole wheat flour mixed with pre-cooked, shredded meat(pork usually) and formed into a loaf. It is then sliced and fried in your choice lard, bacon grease or other preferred cooking oil to a crisp outside texture with a mealy, mostly cornmeal flavored inside.

(personally not one of my favorites)

almost, but not quite . . . the pork component is all those parts of the pig that are leftover after butchering . . . usually, they just boil the whole head until everything has been rendered and then add the other offal.

Delicious served with a quarter-block of butter and a cup of maple syrup.

almost, but not quite . . . the pork component is all those parts of the pig that are leftover after butchering . . . usually, they just boil the whole head until everything has been rendered and then add the other offal.

Delicious served with a quarter-block of butter and a cup of maple syrup.

Much like Oatmeal sausage is in our German communities. The pork head meat we save for Head Cheese (Souse) a congealed lunch meat. Or the Mexicans serve beef head meat as Barbacoa a shredded breakfast entrée.

I've never seen a Quahog along the Texas Coast, which doesn't mean they don't live here, but we have to make-do with oysters.

Much like Oatmeal sausage is in our German communities. The pork head meat we save for Head Cheese (Souse) a congealed lunch meat..

I'm here in the middle of Amish country, and the Amish "invented" scrapple. I guess they made due with what we have plenty of - corn. And the head cheese is everywhere here, also.

Archived