hump downside?

CLEMM

Those back from a Med cruise, which side of the ship is best for this itenerary? Would aft be better, so as to hopefully see things on both sides? Really would appreciate any help on this.

Edited by HUNNY BUN
Forgot to ask question.

• 2 months later...
We booked an angled hump on Equinox because of the feedback and photos from this site. These balconies are more private and as you can see from this photo, are much larger than those next to them.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2139021740104101060VQRRCO

Thanks for posting this. I will be in 1243 and it is nice to know I will be getting that extra large balcony

We have booked cabins 6239 and 6241 on the Equinox for a Caribbean cruise. Have read that there is a smoking area mid ship on the port side of Deck 5. Am concerned about noise from this area later at night. Does anyone have experience with noise and on smoke bothering them from this area? Any idea how extensive the area is?

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to book a cabin on the Equinox and have done extensive obsessive research and searching of the forums regarding the angled balconies. Some excellent information here, but I don't see a whole lot about privacy. If you can look forward or back and see a bunch of "regular" balconies, doesn't that mean then that people can look into yours? Would you only have true privacy if you stayed really far back in the balcony?

Would a regular balcony also get more sunlight, as there isn't a large overhang?

We were in the first cabin behind the hump and angled balconies on the Equinox this past holiday cruise. Didn't like it because I couldn't see forward and missed seeing the water breaking off the bow...also if I did look forward I looked right into the balcony of the cabin to my left...the last angled one. (we were in cabin 8260)

We were on the Spring T/A on Solstice and we were in front of the hump (cabin 8200) and I personally prefered that location.

That being said, I did like being in this area of the ship because of the ease to gain access to the aft elevators, dining venues and pool area...it was a bit of a "hike" to the Sky Lounge or the theatre but the other venues we visit on a more regular basis! :D LuAnn

If you can look forward or back and see a bunch of "regular" balconies, doesn't that mean then that people can look into yours? Would you only have true privacy if you stayed really far back in the balcony?

Would a regular balcony also get more sunlight, as there isn't a large overhang?

The hump balconies are deep enough that, unless you're at the rail looking out, others won't be able to see you. Because the regular balconies are shallower, you have the paradox of being able to see much more of their balcones than they can of yours. Having said that, the dividers are opaque enough and deep enough that you can't really see anyone who's not standing at the rail, and you definitely can't see into anyone's cabin (without leaning out over the rail and peering into your neighbor's, that is).

Sunlight on the balcony is entirely dependent upon the angle of the ship relative to the sun, the time of day, etc. Unless you have an aft cabin (which have privacy issues of their own), your sun time is not going to be seriously affected by the depth of the overhang, unless you're on the top stateroom deck (which has a VERY deep overhang).

Gary

We were in the first cabin behind the hump and angled balconies on the Equinox this past holiday cruise. Didn't like it because I couldn't see forward and missed seeing the water breaking off the bow...also if I did look forward I looked right into the balcony of the cabin to my left...the last angled one. (we were in cabin 8260)

We were on the Spring T/A on Solstice and we were in front of the hump (cabin 8200) and I personally prefered that location.

That being said, I did like being in this area of the ship because of the ease to gain access to the aft elevators, dining venues and pool area...it was a bit of a "hike" to the Sky Lounge or the theatre but the other venues we visit on a more regular basis! :D LuAnn

Thanks LuAnn, this is exactly what I was wondering. So you were in the first "normal" balcony behind the hump. I would imagine that being on the angle, it is impossible to see either directly forward or backward depending on location as well. I'm thinking we're just going to go with a regular balcony - besides, it's cheaper and it's not like we're sleeping on our balcony!

Jonas, here's where I'm a little confused. If you can see your neighbors with your own two eyes, then they must also be able to see you as well. I get that because the balcony is deep, you can sort of "hide" back in the recess and look into their balcony. But if they were standing on their rail, I'm sure they could look into yours as well. I just don't want to be self conscious when I'm sitting on my balcony relaxing and wondering who happens to be watching me.

• 3 weeks later...

To: SCOTTAMILLER

"I personally LOVED my C1 hump cabin #1243 - about triple the size of a standard balcony - it was HUGE!!!!! Literally the largest non-suite balcony on the ship! The balcony was great for hosting cocktail parties - we had 25+ people out there one day! Being on the aft part of the hump there was virtually no wind issue to deal with. "

thanx for the tip

just switched our C1 to 1120 on Solstice.

Now will need to find 25 foks for a cocktail paty.

relax, nobody cares in watching you. Paranoid !! Unless you plan on having sex on the balcony, then you're out of luck.

I could have taken a cabin on the hump, but didn't because I wanted to be able to see the ocean from my bed close enough. With a large balcony, this wouldn't be possible.

If you are travelling with friends, then maybe then it makes sense as you could have a small gathering there. I didn't spend much time in my balcony and was traveling only with my wife, therefore what use in having an extra long balcony.

Hi earlier in this thread someone (think it was scottamiller) gave a list of hump cabins that seem to be the best to go for, I am asking about Penthouse deck 1608 seems not to be mentioned, though those around it seem to be, could I ask you why this is? I have 1610 on the Eclipse in Sept and my son has the pre mentioned 1608, I actually booked these and it would'nt look very nice if theirs were less favourable. Hope you can help.

Many thanks Kathleen

juneday, check for the same cabin location on the opposite side of the ship to see if it is listed or cabins just above or just below yours. Our cabin was not listed at one time and, while the pics and info was not about our specific cabin, it was pretty much spot on with the same info.

I'm booked in 6240, without even realizing it's a Hump Cabin. I'm psyched!

We had this cabin on Equinox. The balcony is bigger, bed was next to the balcony (loved that). But this cabin does have an obstructed view. The smaller life boats are just below the balcony. You can see it while sitting out there, but not from the bed. If that makes sense. I really loved the fact that the midship elevators were so close. Very convenient.:)

When we booked this cabin (in October for a Nov cruise) it was listed as a 1A. But when we saw it, it was clearly obstructed. I went to the hotel desk to discuss the problem. The woman there actually told me that I was wrong and had booked a 2C. (What ever happened to 'the customer is always right?') After we 'discussed' what I had booked, she realized that I was right (after I suggested she look it up on the website). I had left the desk (tired of being told that I booked a 2C), and she called our cabin to apologize. She mentioned doing something for us financially. I told her I really wanted to see the website changed, not any compensation. They gave us $200 shipboard credit.

As I was writing this, I went to the website. They still have this cabin listed as a 1A :mad:.

So, if you booked this as a 1A, you may get a discount.

Great news, we have booked resort deck 2110 for our May Equinox Cruise. Seems only drawback might be the lack of forward visibility, but a big deck without wind and soot (i.e truly aft cabins sometimes get soot) seems awesome! :D

I personally LOVED my C1 hump cabin #1243 - about triple the size of a standard balcony - it was HUGE!!!!! Literally the largest non-suite balcony on the ship! The balcony was great for hosting cocktail parties - we had 25+ people out there one day! Being on the aft part of the hump there was virtually no wind issue to deal with. We got sun when we wanted it, and shade if desired as well. Due to balcony depth there were no privacy issues related to the angled shape.

There are 58 +/- cabins with the same size balcony we had - they are:

Resort Deck: 2105, 2109, 2106, 2110

Penthouse Deck: 1547, 1552, 1601, 1605, 1606, 1610

Sky Deck: 1075, 1044, 1231, 1243, 1247, 1108, 1120, 1124

Panorama Deck: 9155, 9192, 9209, 9215, 9237, 9241, 9266, 9270, 9292, 9296

Vista Deck: 8199, 8162, 8255, 8259, 8281, 8285, 8228, 8232, 8254, 8258

Sunrise Deck: 7159, 7206, 7215, 7219, 7241, 7245, 7260, 7264, 7286, 7290

Continental Deck: 6155, 6156, 6209, 6215, 6237, 6241, 6210, 6214, 6236, 6240

Most of these are on the hump, but some are forward where the ship starts to indent. The rooms run the range from Category 2C, 1A, C1, or AQ (with the exception of 6209/6210 which are categorized as 07 Obstucted Balcony - great balcony at a small price!). There are also many cabins adjacent to the ones I listed that also have oversized balconies that are about double the size of normal ones, but I would go for the triple sized ones first :D

Hope this helps!

Scott

P.S. - I'd also tend to choose the ones that angle to the aft over the ones that angle towards the bow as the forward facing ones could tend to get windy .....

25 people on the balcony still will require some wiggle room and possibly some spilled drinks from elbow infractions;)

To: SCOTTAMILLER

"I personally LOVED my C1 hump cabin #1243 - about triple the size of a standard balcony - it was HUGE!!!!! Literally the largest non-suite balcony on the ship! The balcony was great for hosting cocktail parties - we had 25+ people out there one day! Being on the aft part of the hump there was virtually no wind issue to deal with. "

thanx for the tip

just switched our C1 to 1120 on Solstice.

Now will need to find 25 foks for a cocktail paty.

We had this cabin on Equinox. The balcony is bigger, bed was next to the balcony (loved that). But this cabin does have an obstructed view. The smaller life boats are just below the balcony. You can see it while sitting out there, but not from the bed. If that makes sense. I really loved the fact that the midship elevators were so close. Very convenient.:)

When we booked this cabin (in October for a Nov cruise) it was listed as a 1A. But when we saw it, it was clearly obstructed. I went to the hotel desk to discuss the problem. The woman there actually told me that I was wrong and had booked a 2C. (What ever happened to 'the customer is always right?') After we 'discussed' what I had booked, she realized that I was right (after I suggested she look it up on the website). I had left the desk (tired of being told that I booked a 2C), and she called our cabin to apologize. She mentioned doing something for us financially. I told her I really wanted to see the website changed, not any compensation. They gave us $200 shipboard credit.

As I was writing this, I went to the website. They still have this cabin listed as a 1A :mad:.

Sorry you had a bad experience. But I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

We are booked on the Equinox for a summer Med cruise. Was looking at all the 1A's since they are the larger angled balconies. Both the Celebrity website and also the actual Celebrity brochure show that aside from the 8 "main" angled hump cabins (6211 6215 6237 6239 6212 6214 6236 6238), the other 12 (8 further out on the bump of the hump and 4 on the "front" hump) are all 2C's.

Thanks, for the insight. I've had an outside obstructed view, and even though the lifeboat was right in front of our porthole, it was still okay. I did book this as a 2C, and yes, the layout I also saw refers to it as a 1A. (Even though still not quite sure what the categories mean.) I'll be looking straight ahead at the horizon and the water, so not worrying what's below me. The TA said that sometimes the deck layout changes. Anyway, no worries, just happy to be on ship, and to have the "hump" cabin everyone always talks about.

Hi earlier in this thread someone (think it was scottamiller) gave a list of hump cabins that seem to be the best to go for, I am asking about Penthouse deck 1608 seems not to be mentioned, though those around it seem to be, could I ask you why this is? I have 1610 on the Eclipse in Sept and my son has the pre mentioned 1608, I actually booked these and it would'nt look very nice if theirs were less favourable. Hope you can help.

Many thanks Kathleen

I have 1610 on Solstice and have read all I can find about this cabin. Sounds like a great location and super large balcony (I think 1608 is a bit smaller). My only concern is the attendant;s closet next door; hopefully it won't be too noisy. If you can't find any information on the Solstice sticky, do a search in this forum for "1608" or "1610"

Enjoy Eclipse; can't wait to try it too!

Thanks, for the insight. I've had an outside obstructed view, and even though the lifeboat was right in front of our porthole, it was still okay. I did book this as a 2C, and yes, the layout I also saw refers to it as a 1A. (Even though still not quite sure what the categories mean.) I'll be looking straight ahead at the horizon and the water, so not worrying what's below me. The TA said that sometimes the deck layout changes. Anyway, no worries, just happy to be on ship, and to have the "hump" cabin everyone always talks about.

I have no doubt that you will enjoy this cabin!:)

So gad that you liked #1108. We are booked in that room in April. We will actually be having my daughter sleep on the sofa for the duration of the cruise. Is there enough room on the balcony for the three of us to enjoy breakfast? Also I have heard that people prefer the bed closer to the balcony, is there a particular reason for that? Can anyone tell me if there is much room when the sofa is made as a bed? Thanks for all your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information. A couple of questions...

1) I read somewhere here that if you book the straight part of the hump, the middle is better. Why? We've booked 7266 Equinox thinking that since it was the first one we might have a "little" better view since nothing is straight forward. Is that wrong thinking?????

2) Why is it important to know where the bed is located (close to balcony or bathroom)? Is it because you want to lay in bed and be able to see out? In the cabins where the bed is closer to the bathroom, does that mean you can sit on the sofa and see out? Or is it because you need to know how far you have to walk when you have to get up at night?:p

• 4 weeks later...