Grandeur how small

Hi all Dh and I will be doing our 2nd cruise very shortly and was thinking about booking the grandeur on april 9 but I keep reading how small the ship is. Just how small is the ship? Last year, when we went on our first cruise it was on the Star Princess, loved that ship ! Was just ammmazzed at the size ! I hope I wont be disappointed with a small ship. How small is grandeur next to the Star. I'm really getting disappointed now, hope I hear some good news from some of you.:confused:

Don't know about the Star Princess but DH and I went on the Grandeur out of Tamp in January. We just loved that ship! The solarium area is big, very peaceful....the way they've set up the shopping area is very unique and appealing. We only had an interior cabin (love the dark!!) but even that cabin had a small corner sofa w/ table. Can't speak to the DR since we only ate in the 'jammer but the staff were awesome, some of the best ever!!

Lynda

Grandeur is a little smaller than Star Princess, but the Grandeur is still a large cruiseship. Grandeur is 36 feet shorter. The best way to compare is gross tonnage, but I'm never quite sure how to translates that into the feeling the passenger gets.

Star Princess

GRT: 109000

Length: 951 ft

Beam: 118 ft

Speed: 22 knots

Passengers: 2600

Crew: 1100

Grandeur of the Seas

GRT: 74137

Length: 915 ft

Beam: 106 ft

Speed: 22 knots

Passengers: 1950

Crew: 760

I have been on the Granduer and then the larger Explorer. I much prefer the Granduer, it feels less crowded since there is less people. It felt comfortable and more relaxing. The Explorer is gorgeous, but it always felt your always standing lines, bumping into others etc.. even though it was larger. The Granduer is very elegant. I think we had bigger tables in the dining room too. I was at a 10 seater table and it didn't feel crowded. On the Explorer I was also at a 10 seater and we were squished in our seats. The Explorer dining staff were fabulous! I felt like royalty.

Enjoy the Granduer! If it wasn't for itinerary and schedules I would be going on her again.

I cruised on Grandeur over New Year's and thought the size was great. At first I was a little hesitant at booking the smaller ship, since I was used to the Voyager Class. But reading through the CC reviews set me at ease. The interior cabins were a little smaller, bathrooms were super tiny with fabric shower curtains, but overall the size of the ship wasn't a drawback at all.

Was Majesty the same size as Sovereign OTS? If so, I've been on both (Grandeur in Feb - loved it), and, to me, Grandeur seemed very well laid out; with the exception of a smaller shopping area and no Promenade, and smaller cabin bathrooms, I didn't feel any difference between Grandeur and RCI's larger ships.

One thing I've noticed: the smaller ships seem to be more intimate as far as things like Karaoke, The Quest - sometimes bigger isn't necessarily better.

When we began cruising in the 80's, most cruise ships were in the 20,000 GRT range, so it is sometimes difficult to comprehend describing a ship that is more than 70,000 GRT as "small".;) Of course, size is relative and nowadays, in comparison to the 100,000 to 162,000 GRT ships currently sailing and the even more massive Oasis of the Seas currently under construction, I guess the Grandeur qualifies as a "smaller" ship. However, more important than the actual size, IMHO, is the passenger/space ratio and in my experience, none of RCI's ships feel "small" or "crowded". Rooms are more compact on Vision class ships than on Radiance and later classes but the public areas are well suited to the ship's capacity and while you won't find all of the bells and whistles on Grandeur that you will find on newer ships, you should be able to enjoy a wonderful cruise. Service is pretty much the same fleetwide, so you will be treated just as well on Grandeur as you are on the newest and biggest ships in the fleet.

Can anyone relate Granduer to Majesty? We did Majesty once, and may consider Grandeur in support of a local charity that has an annual theme cruise.

Been on the Majesty twice (both short cruises to Bahamas) been on the Grandeur three times (a 5 night from Tampa, a 9 night from Baltimore to Eastern Carib., and a 10 night out of Tampa). Will NOT do the Majesty again but would definetly do the Grandeur. Loved the ship. Not too big, but well laid out. Even when almost full it didn't seem crowded. Booked a JS on deck 8 the first two times, one being an aft, and a balcony on deck 7 this last time. Then the upgrade fairy hit and ended up on deck 8 in a JS again.

Hi all Dh and I will be doing our 2nd cruise very shortly and was thinking about booking the grandeur on april 9 but I keep reading how small the ship is. Just how small is the ship? Last year, when we went on our first cruise it was on the Star Princess, loved that ship ! Was just ammmazzed at the size ! I hope I wont be disappointed with a small ship. How small is grandeur next to the Star. I'm really getting disappointed now, hope I hear some good news from some of you.:confused:

We LOVE the Grandeur and would sail on it regardless of the intinerary. It's just the right size for us, the dining room is very elegant, and it has one of the few all teak promenade decks that you can actually walk all the way around!

The Grandeur feels quite a bit bitter than the Majesty and is much nicer (not that there's anything wrong with the Majesty). I ADOOOORE the Grandeur.

I think she's pretty similar to the Sea Princess (which I THINK is the same class as the Star Princess). Maybe I remember the Sea being a bit bigger (and admittedly even prettier than the Grandeur).

Archived