Shore Excursions with 11 month old?

FRMommy

Hi Everyone,

My hubby and I are going on a Carnival cruise in December to the Western Caribbean. Our son will be 11 months old then. We would like to take him on our shore excursions in lieu of leaving him with babysitting. However, I am wondering what to do if the excursions include a car or bus ride. i assume that we should bring a car seat?? I called Carnival to ask and was not very impressed with their customer service. The rep basically told me that she wasn't sure of buses could accommodate a car seat and that I really should just leave the baby at babysitting. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this? Did you bring a car seat and were you able to use it? I just don't want to book excursions only to find out that the baby cannot go.

I also noticed that the description of some shore excursions do not necessarily tell you how you will be traveling (e.g. by car or boat) to your shore excursion destination.

Any advice??? Thanks!

You can hold you child on your lap, but consider the safety risk...

One option for you---if you book a private excursion then you will have better luck with a smaller vehicle where you could use your carseat. And, often the private tour guides are very accommodating with young children/babies, and are willing to alter their tour as needed.

What ports are you looking for excursions at?

CeleBrat

Thanks, cb at sea. This may be a silly question, but is it legal to just hold the baby on my lap on buses, etc? Not sure how things work in the Caribbean.

I just answered a similar question on another thread.. not sure if it was yours too...so sorry if I'm being repetative.

In most cities people get around all the time by city bus and hold their babies/toddlers. I know this is the case in NYC/Philadelphia and have always assumed it to be true in other cities. Taxis are different and I have installed a car seat when using a taxi. I cruised with my DD at 6mo and 7mo. We only did short excursions from the boat which were on buses or an "open air taxi". We did not/could not use a car seat and nobody seemed to think it was an issue. If you want to bring you daughter on the excursions I don't think you will have any problem. We did need a car seat to get from the airport to the ports. Have a great cruise

Why bring an 11 month old on a cruise? He isn't going to enjoy it, and you will not have as good of a time.

Why write this comment? It's not answering the question posted, and why or why not a family brings their baby on a cruise is not your business.

Why bring an 11 month old on a cruise? He isn't going to enjoy it, and you will not have as good of a time.

Yes, 11 month old kids absolutely hate having all kinds of attention from staff, other cruisers, locals in port, etc. They hate spending quality time with their parents and other family members who aren't distracted by the mundane tasks like cooking and cleaning. And parents generally hate spending quality time with their little ones, where they can devote large chunks of time to just playing. What an awful way to spend time! [insert appropriate eye roll here]

Probably for the same reason that YOUR parents bring you. You're a teen. So why should Teens come? Their parents won't have any fun ;):p

The buses do NOT accommodate car seats. If the excursion uses a bus, then there will be no seat belts and you will be asked to stow the car seat under the bus (if you did happen to have one)

And no, it's not illegal to hold the baby on your lap on a bus. :)

Some do like to bring front carrier packs though.

We would like to take him on our shore excursions in lieu of leaving him with babysitting.

Are you referring to leaving him at Camp Carnival, when you mention babysitting. I believe they only offer babysitting services for under 2 from 12-2 and in the evenings.

In Grand Cayman, your son would probably enjoy the trip to the turtle farm. In the other ports I would look for beach excursions and just take it easy and play in the sand.

Archived