Booked first cruise... should I upgrade my cabin?

Dr. Zebra

My wife and I booked our very first cruise (Carnival Destiny, 7/4/09) with an interior cabin on the Riveria deck. I'm seriously toying with the idea of springing for a balcony upgrade and was wondering if it was worth the extra expense or if the money is better spent elsewhere.

How much time is actually spent in the cabin?

Thanks!

We wouldn't ever book an interior stateroom because it is pretty much like living in a closet. You have no natural day light, and I really need that in the morning as I get ready. However, it IS the cheapest.

We began cruising with large-windowed outside view staterooms. Which was fine. However over the years, as we enjoy the R&R of certain cruises, we now enjoy the balcony rooms. We just love having our coffee and some fruit on the balcony just taking in the sea or the port area. We are not early risers who rush upstairs for a huge breakfast and start our day. Much slower and relaxing for us. We also enjoy a cocktail there before going to dinner. My Dh enjoys sitting out for a ahlf hour or so before bedtime. The sounds are so relaxing.

Now...YOU have to decide if your lifestyle is the type that can take the time to sit and just relax. If you like to get going in the morning, enjoy being around people, sitting in the lounges etc., you might not use it much. You'll have to make that decision.

Watch the prices, as they are falling like crazy on most of the ships. You might end up with a balcony for what you originally planned on spending on the inside room ;)

Personally, I think cruising without a balcony is like going to an oceanside resort and overlooking the parking lot!

I'm on a ship--I want to have an open view of the sea!

My mother would NEVER book a balcony---all she does is change and sleep in there. I don't spend a ton of time in the cabin, but when I AM in there, I want to be comfy, and a balcony is the smallest cabin I'll book!

This is a question no one can answer for you. I spend the majority of my time on board on my balcony. But many people spend no time except to shower and sleep in a cabin. depends on what you are cruising for and what you want to do ON the ship. I don't go to shows, I don't play bingo I don't dance, I sometimes listen to music in lounges if they have good piano player or guitar player/singer etc. or good Jazz. Other than meals and those things I am in my cabin or on the Promenade.

I have cruised twice - the first ime I went I had an oceanview LOVED IT!!!!! The next time we decided to save money and went with an interior - not nearly the same - we are going again Jan 2010 and have booked a balcony. If you are a first time cruiser I highly recommend at least an oceanview. you would be amazed what a difference a window makes to your whole attitude. You should be able to upgrade to oceanview pretty reasonably.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide.

Hello,

My DW and I have been very fortunate to have all...inside, ocanview, balcony and minisuite with a balcony.

Hopefully the following will be of help to you.

Questions to be answered:

Do either of you have any problems with claustrophobia, because it is true that Inside cabins do not have any natural light, and can be on the smaller side.

What is your budget and how much more can you afford? Balcony cabins are generally more expensive and having one may not be within your budget. However, sometimes cruise ines will run upgrades at very reasonable prices, and you should ask about these.

And it is true that some people use their balconies and many do not. We like the balcony because it does extend your overall cabin space and there are times when it is truly nice such as when we sailed out of Venice.

And...there is the romance factor, that is, if she is nice enough to go on a cruise then maybe you can spend some for her as a treat.

Fred

I appreciate all the answers. Budget isn't the concern. I'm more concerned about spending extra money on a room that I may potentially not see much of. The wife can get a bit claustrophobic, so I'll probably at least upgrade to an oceanview, if not just spring the extra for the balcony and take it as a lesson learned if we don't hang out there enough to justify the expense. :p

Since you say that budget is not a problem and your wife is a bit claustrophobic I'd spring for the balcony.

We have sailed in insides, ocean views and balconies. For us there is a correlation between the cabin and how much time we spend there. If we have a balcony we will spend more time there.

We were on the Triumph in January with an aft wrap balcony. Next month we will be on the same ship and itinerary in an inside. I can guarantee that we will spend less time in the cabin in April.

While we have sailed in ocean views they have always been upgrades from the cruise line. For us the price difference for a window only has never been worth it.

Charlie

My wife and I booked our very first cruise (Carnival Destiny, 7/4/09) with an interior cabin on the Riveria deck. I'm seriously toying with the idea of springing for a balcony upgrade and was wondering if it was worth the extra expense or if the money is better spent elsewhere.

Thanks!

Doc Z..

As others have said, it is all up to you.. I will say for myself and my DW, we will not sail anything less than a balcony.. We split our time between the ship and the cabin.. I will tell you that it is very nice to have coffee and a little snack delivered by room service in the morning. To sit and enjoy the quiet morning on the balcony with coffee..

At night before heading to bed, we will enjoy a night cap out on the balcony to relax and review the day.. Heck even the "balcony club";) is a nice treat as well..

On our last sailing, others in our party had both interior as well as OV.. We stopped by for a visit and did not stay long.. Just not the same..

Next cruise, we have a 9A aft wrap.. Can't wait..

Enjoy your cruise and get ready to be hooked on a lifestyle.. I know we are..

The only cruise I will get an interior is a 3 day cruise, because you are not on the ship long enough.

On a 7 day cruise, I personally would not cruise interior. We spend more time in our cabin then you would think. I read or play my PSP outside on the balcony (vacation is the only time I really have to play my PSP). I also will edit my digital photos on the cruise. And then there are the daily naps in my cabin. So yes, we spend a lot of time in the cabin. If we have an interior, I would probably not spend as much time in the cabin because, well as others say, its a closet.

While no one can tell you what is best for yourself and your DW we can certainly tell you about our experiences.

We have cruised once before and opted for an oceanview for the short trip (4 nights). The cabin was small, 155sq ft if my memory serves me correctly. The interiors on this ship were 135sq ft and to be honest there is no way we could have moved around in an interior around our luggage.

We also heard many others wishing they had spent the extra amount, about $200 for an oceanview. Right there I knew that we would never have an interior cabin, I go on vacation to enjoy myslef and being in a cramped cabin not being able to find things would lead to constant bickering.

Our next crusie is on Oasis and due to the number of sea days, I opted for a balacony so I have a place to go relax in the morning without having to wake my DH up early. We will have more space, an excellend view and lots of natural light (hopefully this will get my DH moving before 10am) and an excellent view. I have a feeling that we won't be sailing below a balcony again anytime soon.

Well hell. Just called to inquire about the upgrade and apparently the early saver rate isn't available any longer. It would cost over $600 for us to upgrade from 4A to an 8A. For that, they can keep it. Budget isn't an issue, but value most certainly is.

$600 would buy us a lot of booze, which would console us in our closet. :D Looking forward to the trip!

Interesting post. We have never sailed before. Our first cruise is in 2 weeks and we chose a balcony. We do not go on vacations like this often, but when we do we like to be comfortable and enjoy ourselves. An inside cabin just does not seem like a room we would enjoy. I am very much looking forward to sitting on the balcony with my husband. Will let you all know how we like it when we return.

My husband and I just sailed on the Dawn - first timers. We chose a balcony room (deck 10 - mid ship). I would never sail without a balcony. We had breakfast outside some mornings, and I put my binoculars to good use. there's nothing as nice as sitting outside in your NCL bathrobes and watching the ocean!

We were on the Carnival Legend in October 08, we had a balcony room and it was well worth the price for us, but you have to ask yourself how much you think you will be in your room. If you are the kind that doesn't linger in the morning and gets up and out and at nite you are tired from playing with the children and you turn in early, and inside room will be perfectly fine. If not, go for the balcony, it's worth it!

I agree with previous posters and we always book a minisuite. We would rather cruise less and have the room. We enjoy our balcony and sitting area and usually order room service for breakfast so that we can relax and not feel rushed. The inside cabins are really small and we just enjoy a little more space

Thanks!

This is a totally personal choice. The type of cabin really makes no difference to me...because all I do in the cabin is dress & sleep.

Everyone has their own personal preferences...you ultimately have to decide what you want to do.

Thanks!

I usually spring for a balcony, but that is my personal preference. What kind of traveller are you? What is the itinerary you will be taking? Do you know how much time are you likely to spend in your room?

I know people who are in their cabins only to sleep. Why spend the money on a balcony if that's the case? In our case we like to hang in our room on sea days or enjoy wine and cheese on our balcony in the evening or take in the view coming into or leaving port.

Figure out how much and in what way you will use the room and get the room that fits you whether it's interior or balcony...

If budget is not an issue UPGRADE! If budget is only a little bit of an issue you can book a balcony guarantee (if they are still available). The guarantee doesn't give you any choice over cabin location but it can save you money.

I had a balcony cabin on the Carnival Victory (I think the Destiny is a similar sized ship) and it was great! I enjoyed sitting outside in the afternoon listening to the water.

After reading so many posts re. balcony vs OV I have no doubt that my DH and I would love the balcony & take full advantage of it so called the online discounter that booked our RCL, Sept. 09, Alaska cruise to inquire about cost. I was surprised that (incl. tax & fees) it almost doubled the current price, adding an additional $1,400. Does that sound like a normal percentage increase for a balcony upgrade or might there be a better way to go about this that experienced cruisers know?

I didn't take the upgrade, but we are on a list to be notified if the price comes down. It would have to be substantial, but with such beautiful scenery in Alaska and my husband's first time there (I spent a month camping across Alaska so am now excited to see it by sea) I would hate to be lamenting all 7 days: "should have done it."

We have two different weeks houseboating on Lake Powell this year and $1,400 buys a lot of gas.

Would greatly appreciate any secrets you all might suggest re. cabin upgrades.

Thanks,

I've never been to Alaska (it is on my list!!!) but I would check into two things:

1) Balcony Guarantee: this is usually a cheaper way to get a balcony but you have no say in where your cabin ends up.

2) Oceanview: If you are booked in an inside room (you didn't say) an OV may be a good compromise. You won't be able to go outside on a balcony, but you can still SEE the scenery as you pass by.

Regardless, balconies are always more expensive than oceanview and significantly more expensive than an interior room. But for an Alaskan cruise I personally think it would be worth it. But it is your money. :D

Loving UT and Dr. Zebra... There have been many reductions in fares across the board this year. All lines. Check your lines' websites every couple days and check rates. They will go up and down, sometimes within hours. If you catch it at the right time, you can save either on the room you have booked, or will be able to upgrade at a much reduced cost. Just depends on how much time and effort you want to spend on finding the right price. Tkes 5 min. to do a daily check. Worth it for us. We have seen 5 reductions since booking our cruise last year for the fall. Now it's a savings of $2,100 for our category. 5 min a day adds up to BIG savings. We are sticking to the room we hand picked and will use the extra money budgeted for some great private tours, bottles of unsmuggled wine etc.

we booked an interior cabin, and when the price dropped quickly moved up to a balcony cabin for an additional $32 each. I have not regreted the decicion since we made it.

If you take the inside cabin, and get there, you may wish you took the balcony, if you take the balcony, and get there, I can't see you wishing you had taken the inside, especially if $ is not an issue :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd suggest you book at least Ocean View for the Alaska Cruise and pay careful attention to the side of the ship your room is on. You don't want to be on the Ocean side of the ship on the Alaska cruise. Inside rooms will save you money but they can be claustrophobic and not as much fun.

Hubby and I always get a balcony. Ever since our honeymoon, we cannot go back to anything less than a balcony room (thanks MIL!) We love being able to watch pull into port, get sunset pics, relax and enjoy the scenery on our balcony. Love it!

Archived