sleep walking

CRUISERSWITHKIDS

In the past my husband and teen daughter have been known to sleep walk. We are booked on the Island Princess NB Alaska in a mini suite. I was wondering if there were double locks on the balcony door (one on the handle and one up towards the top of the door) or if there would be a dowel rod type device to place in the track. I was also planning on bringing some yarn with bells tied to it to place around the handle. Any other ideas would be helpful.

I am unsure of the layout of the balcony doors, but do know that you can buy a small alarm that you can stick to the door with magnets or sticky tack that will beep when the two halves are separted.

We used to have to use these for one of my nephews with a similar problem.

Enjoy your cruise.

In the past my husband and teen daughter have been known to sleep walk. We are booked on the Island Princess NB Alaska in a mini suite. I was wondering if there were double locks on the balcony door (one on the handle and one up towards the top of the door) or if there would be a dowel rod type device to place in the track. I was also planning on bringing some yarn with bells tied to it to place around the handle. Any other ideas would be helpful.

Oh my word, that sounds dangerous on a ship. I would pack a board of some type to put in the balcony door slider so they would not be able to wander at night. The cruise line might be able to provide one, but I wouldn't chance something like this and would bring my own, along with other items to assure their safety. :eek:

Ask your cabin attendant for a door bar. They usually use these for families with small children, but they sit in door track along the floor to keep it from opening. It is really just a large dowel that fits in the track.

Our neighbors used it and felt more comfortable with the balcony door.

Wow... interesting question. Magellans has a doorstop alarm that would probably work. I bet you could stick it in the door and if someone tried to slide it open, it would go off. http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Intruder_AlarmsSP128?Args=

Ask your cabin attendant for a door bar. They usually use these for families with small children, but they sit in door track along the floor to keep it from opening. It is really just a large dowel that fits in the track.

This sounds like a great suggestion.

Be aware the sliding doors are pretty heavy and when closed tight and locked they can sometimes take two hands to open if the ship is moving along at a pretty good clip. Also, if you keep both the sheer curtain and darkening drape closed unless you sleep with ear plugs there is no way hubby or daughter could get them open and then open the door without you being awoken. Perhaps you could always put those bells on the drapes if that would increase your comfort level.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Not to sure about tieing them to the bed though! LOL!!

In the past cruises we have taken we have always just stayed in an oceanview cabin because of this issue but since its Alaska we just had to have a balcony! I plan on calling princess to see if we can request one of the door bars so it'll be in our cabin when we arrive.

They haven't slept walked in quite a while but I'd rather be safe than sorry!!

What about moving the desk chair and little table in front of balcony door for an additional measure?

They will bonk their knee or foot 1st, which might wake you

and them up.

We actually have those alarm things that everyone mentions,

which I think you should get too

You can also find them at Bed Bath and Beyond!

We use them in our house just as a extra security precaution.

Since we can't afford a full on alarm system.

What about moving the desk chair and little table in front of balcony door for an additional measure?

They will bonk their knee or foot 1st, which might wake you

and them up.

We actually have those alarm things that everyone mentions,

which I think you should get too

You can also find them at Bed Bath and Beyond!

We use them in our house just as a extra security precaution.

Since we can't afford a full on alarm system.

Thats a good idea as well. We always put the luggage in front of the door to the hallway whenever we stay at a motel.

The sleepwalking is why we have an alarm system. Especially since I work night shift. It has caught my husband trying to go outside last winter when I was at work. Just that one time has made it worth the investment!

If this has been OK in the past .You yourself and all other cabins in the area

might have heart attacks suddenly waking up with alarms ringing in the middle of the night.:eek:

Its your decision though.

Suppose he went for a nap in the afternoon when you didnot have the alarm on door?

Hope all works out well for you.Enjoy your cruise.:)

kruisey- I totally agree on this: For your own peace of mind stick to an ocean View

There is no way I would book a balcony stateroom with anyone who had a history of sleep walking. But then I prefer protecting those I love before an accident might occur! ;)

Kind of makes me wonder if they ever looked into this on those ships that had passengers disappear in the middle of the night???? Never even considered this before that it could be the answer to some of these disappearences.

I doubt Princess would supply anything to block the door. :eek:

No wonder people get confused. Never mind, atleast there is SOME very good and helpful information in this thread on what is an important and serious issue.

Princess has oceanview minisuites on Island and Coral Princess.Exactly same set up . Twin/Queen bed plus Sofa bed ,two TV's,Tub in bathroom....Plenty of space........No balcony. They both sail the Alaska route in the summer.

kruisey- I totally agree on this: For your own peace of mind stick to an ocean View

There is no way I would book a balcony stateroom with anyone who had a history of sleep walking. But then I prefer protecting those I love before an accident might occur! ;)

Kind of makes me wonder if they ever looked into this on those ships that had passengers disappear in the middle of the night???? Never even considered this before that it could be the answer to some of these disappearences.

I agree that protecting those I love is top priority. To assume otherwise is ignorant and misinformed. The reason for this post is to keep my famly safe. The alarm will work beautifully and I am greatful for that advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK...We got it all figured out! We bought one of the door alarms that stick to the door frame. Only $5.25 at home depot. Also, since we have a mini suit, we have a bunk that will be just above the fold out sofa. We will put DD in the bunk so if she gets up she will step on her brother!! She hasn't done this for quite some time, and hopefully she has outgrown it. But I still wanted to take the added precautions.

Archived