Booked Royal Caribbean--- but why???

SCUBADOO414

Scuba

My daughter gets very seasick........you should start giving them something before you even get on the ship or it may be too late. I didn't this year and it was 3 days before my daughter could keep down the medicine........won't do that again.

Karen

May I ask what you gave her? Was it over the counter or RX?

Your daughter is beautiful!

Thanks! This year I gave her chewable Bonine.....over the counter......but I hear there is a liquid dramamine for kids that I'm going to try to get for next year. She didn't like the taste of the chewable. I couldn't find it in Walmart, but a pharmacy should carry it. I have 2 boys also and they've never been seasick. The water was very rough this year when we went.

I don't know about what pricing you will get from Johna, but I did notice on the Dream on the 20th there are connecting cove balconies for 4 and 2 people on deck 2......midshipish...if you look on the main deck they are #'s 2357 and 2361 or 2333 and 2337. A cove balcony is cheaper than a regular balcony (very close to the water and enclosed with steel instead of wide open.

Karen

Hi All,

First of all, I'm new to cruising.

Secondly, I've spent the majority of my time on the Royal Caribbean boards mainly because I booked a February 2010 cruise on Freedom of the Seas.

We have a family of six; two adults and four children (under the age of 12). For the 7 day cruise we have booked, we're paying $5000 for two connecting inside staterooms (mid-ship/deck 9). I've been doing some research into Carnival's pricing and found it to be considerably less money!

I guess what I'd like to know is WHY? Since I haven't been on either line, can anyone explain why I would want to spend $1200 more (for nearly the same intinerary) with RC than Carnival???

Thank you for any input you can provide.

Signed,

Thoroughly Confused :confused:

I'd never go on another RCCL cruise - food was sub par, service (dining room and stewards) was at best medicore, they nickel and dime you, however the ship was nice but not so nice to justify the cabin rates

Thanks! This year I gave her chewable Bonine.....over the counter......but I hear there is a liquid dramamine for kids that I'm going to try to get for next year. She didn't like the taste of the chewable. I couldn't find it in Walmart, but a pharmacy should carry it. I have 2 boys also and they've never been seasick. The water was very rough this year when we went.

I don't know about what pricing you will get from Johna, but I did notice on the Dream on the 20th there are connecting cove balconies for 4 and 2 people on deck 2......midshipish...if you look on the main deck they are #'s 2357 and 2361 or 2333 and 2337. A cove balcony is cheaper than a regular balcony (very close to the water and enclosed with steel instead of wide open.

Karen

Hi Karen,

We'll definitely have to try the Bonine. I'd hate for them to be sick their entire vacation.

Thanks for the information on the cove balconies. I've been wondering what a 'cove balcony' is. I'm curious to see what Johna can quote these rooms at. Do you know if the kids balcony doors could be locked so they couldn't use it?

We'd like to save some $$$ since we're switching over. Otherwise, oceanview would be good too. We are currently booked on two connecting inside staterooms. I've always regretted that decision because I'm worried about not having any natural light in our room.

Thanks again for checking these out for me. I'll be sure to ask Johna about them when I speak with her.

Scuba

I did not see any connecting interior or oceanview cabins available for 2 and 4 people, but that DOES NOT MEAN that there aren't any. I did a quick look and not all available cabins are listed on the website, plus sometimes when people clicking on those rooms like they are going to buy it may take it out of inventory for a while. Those coves definately are available though. I did not look for any regular balconies but Johna can help you with that. The only thing that made it difficult for me is that Carnival will only let you put the number of people in the room that the room is meant for, so if there's only 2 of you, you cannot take a room set up for 3 or 4 people. That made it hard for me. I took 2 afts next to each other and then the first inside cabin near us for my older two boys. My inlaws were thinking of coming, but they wouldn't let them take a cabin right near us because they were meant for 3 and 4, so my inlaws changed their mind. A friend of mine also booked 3 cabins a deck below us.

How old are your kids? Mine love to cruise and are so excited about the Dream.

Karen

Scuba

I did not see any connecting interior or oceanview cabins available for 2 and 4 people, but that DOES NOT MEAN that there aren't any. I did a quick look and not all available cabins are listed on the website, plus sometimes when people clicking on those rooms like they are going to buy it may take it out of inventory for a while. Those coves definately are available though. I did not look for any regular balconies but Johna can help you with that. The only thing that made it difficult for me is that Carnival will only let you put the number of people in the room that the room is meant for, so if there's only 2 of you, you cannot take a room set up for 3 or 4 people. That made it hard for me. I took 2 afts next to each other and then the first inside cabin near us for my older two boys. My inlaws were thinking of coming, but they wouldn't let them take a cabin right near us because they were meant for 3 and 4, so my inlaws changed their mind. A friend of mine also booked 3 cabins a deck below us.

How old are your kids? Mine love to cruise and are so excited about the Dream.

Karen

That's what made it hard for me. It's not easy booking connecting rooms for so many people! Our kids will be 13, 8, 8, and 6 1/2 when we cruise. We've typically done the 'Florida thing', Disney, the Keys, etc. Next year we want to try something different... like a cruise! My sister and BF will be coming along too; it'll be the first time we've taken a vacation together, so I'm really looking forward to this for many reasons.

Sherry

attachment.php?attachmentid=111555&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1238263840

Here is a picture of the cove balconies. You can keep your connecting inside door open if you like. Balcony doors do lock, but I can't tell you on these how high up that would be. I've always felt safe with my kids in the balconies. Someone with Carnival told me that none of the cove balconies open to the next.......all steel.................and any connecting balcony cabins will not open with each other. They open to the cabins on the other sides of them. I have trouble in an inside room because of the darkness. No matter what room we take we bring a digital clock to always know the time.

Karen

With the ages of your kids, I'm sure they would be fine in a balcony...plus you would have the connecting inside door. If they are your own kids you could get a balcony for yourself and put them in an inside room straight across from you, but it sounds like you wouldn't want to do that.

With the ages of your kids, I'm sure they would be fine in a balcony...plus you would have the connecting inside door. If they are your own kids you could get a balcony for yourself and put them in an inside room straight across from you, but it sounds like you wouldn't want to do that.

That has tempted me on more than one occasion, but I seriously don't think I could sleep at night!!! :D

If you can get a balcony - even a cove one, go for it. The cabin doors leading to the balcony lock. Our dd's have been cruising since ages 4/7 - we have always been lucky enough to get balcony cabins- and the rules were set in place on our first Disney cruise: You are never allowed out on the balcony without an adult, and you are never allowed to touch the lock on the balcony door. Never had a problem - but never let our watch down, either! Your kids are older, and will be easier to "train" in the rules. Also - while no one in my family gets seasick on cruises, they do get a bit ill if we are on a catamarran excursion with rough seas. Everyone (dh included) takes the chewable bonine about 1/2 hour before the cat. It works wonders, and the good thing is it doesn't make you drowsy, which many of the other meds do. Also - Carnival has operators on 24 hours a day - just call and inquire about what you are looking for. You do not have to commit to anything - and you will get immediate pricing, on all your options and cabins available. Worth the time to ease your mind!:)

If you can get a balcony - even a cove one, go for it. The cabin doors leading to the balcony lock. Our dd's have been cruising since ages 4/7 - we have always been lucky enough to get balcony cabins- and the rules were set in place on our first Disney cruise: You are never allowed out on the balcony without an adult, and you are never allowed to touch the lock on the balcony door. Never had a problem - but never let our watch down, either! Your kids are older, and will be easier to "train" in the rules. Also - while no one in my family gets seasick on cruises, they do get a bit ill if we are on a catamarran excursion with rough seas. Everyone (dh included) takes the chewable bonine about 1/2 hour before the cat. It works wonders, and the good thing is it doesn't make you drowsy, which many of the other meds do. Also - Carnival has operators on 24 hours a day - just call and inquire about what you are looking for. You do not have to commit to anything - and you will get immediate pricing, on all your options and cabins available. Worth the time to ease your mind!:)

Thanks for the helpful information! :)

can anyone explain why I would want to spend $1200 more (for nearly the same intinerary) with RC than Carnival???

For the same itinerary, I would have saved my money.

I avoided RCCL for years, as all I heard was "small rooms, terrible food". Somehow, the good things people were posting alway got lost. :rolleyes:

When the Voyager class came out, I sort of discounted it, after being on the Destiny class, and thinking it was just too big!

But after seeing some nice Voyager class expositions, and reading the passenger ratio, I had one in my sights every time I went to cruise, until the pricing factor came in. I just couldn't justify the price.

Finally, when RCCL became the only player to get me to Bermuda, I finally dug a little deeper into my pockets, and booked on the Explorer of the Seas.

I loved the cruise. It was better than I expected, and I saw what the RCCL fan base saw.

But, although it was a stunning ship, I found it was no better, nor a step up, from a Carnival cruise. I just happened to now enjoy both.

Both things being equal, I would still pick Carnival first, because you don't get that Carnival experience any other place than Carnival.

I don't know, I'm looking at the Liberty on 2/27/10 and the itinerary is nearly identical to RC.

The only difference I'm noticing outright is the deposit amount. With RC we signed up during a 1/2 price deposit promotion and only put down $750 versus $1500 with Carnival. Otherwise, Carnival will offer price decreases if the price drops in your category... I'm baffled. And I'm a thinkin' we should be switching our reservation to Carnival! ;)

Here's the way I look at it. If you looked at RCI and Carnival and the price was identical but Carnival offered you a $1200 on board credit to cover your spending money for the week, what would you do? $1200 is A LOT of money. Might cover your airfare or spending money. We love RCI but have switched to Princess this year and Carnival next year because nobody can touch them when it comes to price. The loyalty game that some people play is simply not worth the pittance that cruise lines offer you to cruise with them anyway.

Here's the way I look at it. If you looked at RCI and Carnival and the price was identical but Carnival offered you a $1200 on board credit to cover your spending money for the week, what would you do? $1200 is A LOT of money. Might cover your airfare or spending money. We love RCI but have switched to Princess this year and Carnival next year because nobody can touch them when it comes to price. The loyalty game that some people play is simply not worth the pittance that cruise lines offer you to cruise with them anyway.

YES! $1200 is a lot of money! It won't quite cover our airfare, but it'll cover a big chunk of it. Now we're half tempted to upgrade from inside staterooms to an oceanview or maybe even balcony. We'll still save money, but we'll have the best of both worlds!

I don't have loyalty to RC since I've never cruised with them, but I have friends that are. Therefore, I have to allegiance to one cruiseline or the other. I just hate having to 'break the news' to my TA... who is wanting me to stick it out and wait for price drops... I'm not much of a gambler. :cool:

We love our balcony........I couldn't sail without one now. I'm an early riser so we bring our big thermal coffee mugs and my husband goes and gets the coffee and some danishes and we sit out and have our snackies while we watch the sun rise and wait for the kids to wake up. Great when you're pulling into port early or departing:) I'm always out there while all the kids are showering and dressing.......getting ready for dinner.

Wishing I was on one now!

We love our balcony........I couldn't sail without one now. I'm an early riser so we bring our big thermal coffee mugs and my husband goes and gets the coffee and some danishes and we sit out and have our snackies while we watch the sun rise and wait for the kids to wake up. Great when you're pulling into port early or departing:) I'm always out there while all the kids are showering and dressing.......getting ready for dinner.

Wishing I was on one now!

Yep, I've heard that too... once you have a balcony suite, you never go back!!! I imagine that I would have the same routine as you... drink my morning coffee out on the balcony, watching the sun rise (if on that side of the ship!), and waiting for everyone to wake up. My kids are usually early risers, but if they are up late or busy playing in Camp Carnival, they may become worn out! ;)

I also like the idea of sitting out there at night, with a cool beverage, watching the water go by... ahhhh... February seems way too far away!

I just hate having to 'break the news' to my TA... who is wanting me to stick it out and wait for price drops... I'm not much of a gambler. :cool:

I always wait to book my RCL cruises because they have better last minute specials. I pay about the same for RCL as I do with Carnival. Carnival I book ahead, but RCL I wait for my price .... and so far Iv always gotten it, but Im a little flexible with my dates too.

I do understand where your TA is coming from. There isnt as much difference in prices if you book the way I do. Im gambling already for spring 2010 for a last minute price on voyager. So far, 3 years in a row, Iv gotten great prices, but this far out the prices are awful.

I always wait to book my RCL cruises because they have better last minute specials. I pay about the same for RCL as I do with Carnival. Carnival I book ahead, but RCL I wait for my price .... and so far Iv always gotten it, but Im a little flexible with my dates too.

I do understand where your TA is coming from. There isnt as much difference in prices if you book the way I do. Im gambling already for spring 2010 for a last minute price on voyager. So far, 3 years in a row, Iv gotten great prices, but this far out the prices are awful.

I can see why you'd book last minute... you see great savings doing that! We, unfortunately don't have that flexibility. And like I said, I'm not much of a gambler to 'wait and see' IF the prices will drop for our 2/21/10 cruise. Does anyone have a crystal ball that I can borrow? ;)

Of course your TA wants you to stick it out. The higher priced the cruise, the more her/his commission. I agree with the others that you are paying for the extra amenities on RC. I have a relative that I can get the friends and family discount with RC through and I still cant' get their prices as low as Carnival. I don't need an ice skating rink or rock wall to have an awesome cruise so I will save my $$, see all the same islands and have just as much fun, for less.

You are paying for the bells and whistles on the Freedom of the Seas. There's the H20 zone, rock wall, flow rider, ice rink, etc, that are not found on Carnival ships. Are these attractions worth the money? Up to you ....

TOTALLY agree.

RCI has the bells and whistles and their ships are gorgeous. BUT CCL has better food/entertainment.

Service on both are excellent (in my experience so far) With the exception on the one RCI cruise I took where the service in the dining room was pitiful....but the rest of the ship's crew were top notch.

I believe in trying differnt lines to see the difference yourself...BUT if the price is that vastly different, I think it's silly to book with Royal. Royal Caribbean is not better than Carnival so it's not worth that much extra money to pay for those extra frills.

TOTALLY agree.

RCI has the bells and whistles and their ships are gorgeous. BUT CCL has better food/entertainment.

Service on both are excellent (in my experience so far) With the exception on the one RCI cruise I took where the service in the dining room was pitiful....but the rest of the ship's crew were top notch.

I believe in trying differnt lines to see the difference yourself...BUT if the price is that vastly different, I think it's silly to book with Royal. Royal Caribbean is not better than Carnival so it's not worth that much extra money to pay for those extra frills.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I have been looking at the Carnival website and found oceanview rooms on the Liberty for over $1400 less than we are paying for inside staterooms on RC! An upgrade and price drop... how can we resist switching?!

I have heard that in the past. Now people are saying that they have no idea why they spent the extra money for RCCL. There is nothing special about them now.

I can't really speak to what others experience is, only mine, and I must say the RCCL experience is superior to the Carnival one. IMHO.

Archived