Exchange on US$..Final accounting to Credit Card

LeftcoastBC

After all our cruises and sticking up for =X= in more than one thread. They finally did me .. :p

Checked off the little square and circled it as I normally do. Spoke to the guy at check in who assured me all would be well and..... Bam... Got me on my credit Card with their own exchange rate. At the present time I don't think it meant much really.

This just a FYI :)

We will be taking our first Celebrity cruise. Should I give my Canadian credit card that is in US funds for our on board account? Did you use your Canadian bank credit card ? Is there a way around avoiding the high conversion ?

Thanks !

I booked the cruise in Canadian funds and then booked some excursions which they charged me in Canadian funds. They do not even tell me what the American dollar charge is for the excursions so that I know how much I am getting overcharged. And they send out a book with Canadian prices in it and when I booked the excursions, the prices were different. I bet that if I cancelled an excursion, they would give me a credit back with a buy rate instead of a straight credit in Canadian funds. Then again, I can always count on Amex to overcharge me on the exchange also. I just wish this was transparent.

We will be taking our first Celebrity cruise. Should I give my Canadian credit card that is in US funds for our on board account? Did you use your Canadian bank credit card ? Is there a way around avoiding the high conversion ?

Thanks !

We used our European and it worked fine.

The amount was in US $ and was convert later by our Credit Card.

After all our cruises and sticking up for =X= in more than one thread. They finally did me .. :p

Checked off the little square and circled it as I normally do. Spoke to the guy at check in who assured me all would be well and..... Bam... Got me on my credit Card with their own exchange rate. At the present time I don't think it meant much really.

They got me once out of 7 times as well. I called Captain's Club about it, and it was taken care of quite quickly. I needed only fax a redacated copy of my credit card account, and a refund was made. Might I suggest that even if it was not much in the difference, that you contact them anyway? The company needs to know that they cannot get away with that continually, although from these boards, it seems that they are slow learners.:rolleyes:

We're sailing from Vancouver to Alaska this summer. We live in BC, so I was just planning on using my Visa to secure onboard charges. Should I be planning differently? How do I ensure that I get a decent exchange?

What should I do?

Thanks a bunch. I guess I never even thought about it.

I had posted this a while ago on another thread relating to the same thing. On the website

where you register all your pre-cruise info, including credit card, and on the boarding

documents, there are two options, as mentioned. Our preferred option is always 'B', as

it allows the credit card company to do the convrsion. However, as has been pointed out,

=X= and other cruise lines do not always pay close attention to this entry. Here is what

we do.

For non-US passengers (Celebrity ships operate on US Dollars), you can get Option B but

it requires a bit of effort.

1. Check Option B on your forms when you submit them.

2. Circle and highlight your selection on your print-out boarding documents

3. Bring this to the attention of the agent checking you in at the departure point.

4. Check with the Purser's desk soon after boarding and have them confirm that your

file shows 'Option B'

5. Check with the Purser's desk several days later and reconfirm.

6. Check with the Purser's desk the day before the end of the cruise and reconfirm.

This has worked for us in the past and we plan to do the same on our next cruise. It is

not just Celebrity that does this so we use this procedure with all cruise lines.

I started a thread about this a while ago because it had happened to me a couple of times:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=801468&highlight=

It wasn't the first mention of it here. From now on (and ignoring my excitement to get on the ship) I will always ensure the boarding check in agent has marked things correctly, even if I have ticked the box on the Xpress Pass to opt out of Celebrity's conversion program. I will also pray nightly that the rate of exchange goes back to what was mentioned in the above thread.:)

Phil

We're sailing from Vancouver to Alaska this summer. We live in BC, so I was just planning on using my Visa to secure onboard charges. Should I be planning differently? How do I ensure that I get a decent exchange?

What should I do?

Thanks a bunch. I guess I never even thought about it.

Exactly as below I guess. It might work :)

I had posted this a while ago on another thread relating to the same thing. On the website

where you register all your pre-cruise info, including credit card, and on the boarding

documents, there are two options, as mentioned. Our preferred option is always 'B', as

it allows the credit card company to do the convrsion. However, as has been pointed out,

=X= and other cruise lines do not always pay close attention to this entry. Here is what

we do.

For non-US passengers (Celebrity ships operate on US Dollars), you can get Option B but

it requires a bit of effort.

1. Check Option B on your forms when you submit them.

2. Circle and highlight your selection on your print-out boarding documents

3. Bring this to the attention of the agent checking you in at the departure point.

4. Check with the Purser's desk soon after boarding and have them confirm that your

file shows 'Option B'

5. Check with the Purser's desk several days later and reconfirm.

6. Check with the Purser's desk the day before the end of the cruise and reconfirm.

This has worked for us in the past and we plan to do the same on our next cruise. It is

not just Celebrity that does this so we use this procedure with all cruise lines.

I started a thread about this a while ago because it had happened to me a couple of times:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=801468&highlight=

It wasn't the first mention of it here. From now on (and ignoring my excitement to get on the ship) I will always ensure the boarding check in agent has marked things correctly, even if I have ticked the box on the Xpress Pass to opt out of Celebrity's conversion program. I will also pray nightly that the rate of exchange goes back to what was mentioned in the above thread.:)

Phil

Yes Phil thanks I recall reading that. Hence the FYI this time from me cause it's still going on.

They got me once out of 7 times as well. I called Captain's Club about it, and it was taken care of quite quickly. I needed only fax a redacated copy of my credit card account, and a refund was made. Might I suggest that even if it was not much in the difference, that you contact them anyway? The company needs to know that they cannot get away with that continually, although from these boards, it seems that they are slow learners.:rolleyes:

You know I will do that. This time it's not a big deal for us because of only 7 days and being in a non party mode. But you are right I will indeed follow it up.

Email today from them....

Quote"

Thank you for your follow up email pertaining to your seapass account on your recent Celebrity Solstice sailing. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

In regard to the notification of the conversion which was applied to your account, we are taking steps to correct this problem. Management has been notified, and they have made investigating and finding a solution to this frustrating issue a priority. We hope to resolve this issue as soon as possible. As a goodwill gesture, you may send in a copy of your credit card statement and we will be happy to refund the difference to your Visa card.

Additionally, we were pleased to learn that you had an overall wonderful cruise. As you have most likely discovered, every effort we put forth on our ships and itineraries has one goal in mind: to provide our guests with the best cruise experience possible. This goal is achieved when, at the end of the vacation, guests leave their cruise with fond memories and a desire to cruise with us again. We thank you for the time and thought you have taken to convey your impressions of the voyage. Your kind words serve as recognition of our service, and an inspiration to commit ourselves to continued excellence.

Mr.xxxxxxxxx we are continually monitoring our product and services to ensure we meet the expectations of our customers. We assure you that our dedication to serving our loyal guests remains constant, and your patronage is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back on one of our ships in the near future.

Sincerely,

signed by N.

Corporate Guest Relations

Interesting... I did in fact book on line a tour with =X= and got it done in US$ which my card/bank converted. So that I thought was ok.

Now I'm starting to wonder. :)

Before you book online with =X=, you can go back and change from U.S.$ to Cdn.$ and compare the prices. Then you can decide which one you want to charge to your credit card; sometimes there isn't much difference.

I just got off the Constellation. I followed all your steps. However, having been burnt more times than I could remember, I went to Guest Relations the first day off the cruise. Thank goodness I did! They still had me down as having Celebrity convert USD to CAD.

The girl said I was lucky to come so promptly since the next day they were going to send the info to their bank. After that, nothing could be done. I don't believe this but...

I have come to believe the box that we all tick off and underline, is there just to tease us.

SO, run don't walk to guest relations as soon as you can and make sure it is correctly in their computers.

• 3 months later...
I just got off the Constellation. I followed all your steps. However, having been burnt more times than I could remember, I went to Guest Relations the first day off the cruise. Thank goodness I did! They still had me down as having Celebrity convert USD to CAD.

The girl said I was lucky to come so promptly since the next day they were going to send the info to their bank. After that, nothing could be done. I don't believe this but...

I have come to believe the box that we all tick off and underline, is there just to tease us.

SO, run don't walk to guest relations as soon as you can and make sure it is correctly in their computers.

I have highlighted my choice but I will be sure to confirm by heading to guest relations when I find it on the first day.

I can't emphasise this enough. Make sure the agent records it properly when you check in. Tell him/her you do not want to use Celebrity's exchange conversion service and point to where you have marked it on the Xpress Pass you have completed. Check in is where it first goes wrong and if you point it out and make sure they do it correctly you head it off at the pass and won't have an issue. It just saves the hassles of undoing it.

Phil

I will be sure to do that thanks Phil.

I filled out the online checkin a few months ago and since then my CC number has changed as it has been taken over by Barclaycard. I have filled out the paper version in the guest documents ticked,circled and highlighted:D but I will be sure to tell them too when checking in.

I think you just have to accept that sometimes your cross will not be spotted and you will have to request the cruise line to give you a credit if their exchange rate was worse than your card providers; which in my experience they always will.:(

You need to accept that this feature was introduced because it can provide the cruise line with additional profits for very little extra effort; thus there is no incentive from management to censure customer service staff who fail to spot your little "X".:mad:

But by all means make sure you request a refund and after you receive it, send them a further complaint castigating them for causing you this extra effort.:cool:

Of course it won't make a bit of difference but letting off steam will make you feel better.;)

I can't emphasise this enough. Make sure the agent records it properly when you check in. Tell him/her you do not want to use Celebrity's exchange conversion service and point to where you have marked it on the Xpress Pass you have completed. Check in is where it first goes wrong and if you point it out and make sure they do it correctly you head it off at the pass and won't have an issue. It just saves the hassles of undoing it.

Phil

Thanks for the pointers, Phil. We've not had this problem with two X cruises, but we're on Solstice in September so we'll go through these procedures when we get on board.

And the good news is that the exchange rate is headed in the right direction.....

you will have to request the cruise line to give you a credit if their exchange rate was worse than your card providers; which in my experience they always will.:(

The ease at which they credited my card back, no questions asked, no proof required shows how commonplace this issue must be. I was told it was a "training issue" that was being attended to. Meanwhile it is a nice little earner for Celebrity and a frustration for us. Perhaps they will finally get their act together now that Equinox and Eclipse will spend so much time cruising from the UK. Otherwise they are going to be sick of all the complaints:eek:

My little vent. You're right. It does make one feel better:D

Phil

• 1 month later...

Archived