when the ocean's in motion....

av01bps

Ok I KNOW this is subjective- how much roll is too much ocean roll- and I will be taking Bonine (like dramamine- over the counter and I can drink!), but how's the rock and roll of the ship been lately? We leave on the Solstice on :DApril 5.

Thanks

I use the wristbands (no medicine, no side effects) - I put them on whenever the ship is at sea, I don't care if they're the placebo effect or not, I feel fine with them. I take them off to shower and sleep. Our last cruise was like glass (Summit San Juan Feb 21), but I wore them anyway. If you are prone to seasickness it is the worst feeling in the world, and I choose to try not to feel that way.

We just got off yesterday from the Solstice and I've never been seasick before in 10 cruises until this cruise. Monday and Friday were NOT good for me at all.

Friday was a serious left to right roll. Monday was bow to stern.

I used Bonine, Dramamine and seabands to overcome the issues. YUCK! I don't wish it on anyone.

The unfortunate part of sea sickness is that worrying that you might get seasick actually brings on seasickness.

Take Bonine (good stuff) or a patch (from your doctor) and believe that it will keep you from getting seasick....as it's designed to do.

We were in the galapagos and many of our eXpedition shipmates read that the water can get rocky and worried about getting seasick. They almost immediately got seasick and missed the first night's meal. By the next day, they realized that it was as bad as it was going to get (it was actually quite smooth) and no one missed another meal. The mind is a very powerful thing.....

Don't worry about it...

We were on the 3/15 Century and the first sea day had a roll. Even my husband a retired Navy man felt quesy. The staff suggested green apples, which were in abundance, as a remedy. It really worked! It calmed your stomach and probably more importantly, made sure you had something in your stomach which is the real cure for seasickness. I don't think it was really bad but just enough to put it in your head that you were seasick!

Ok I KNOW this is subjective- how much roll is too much ocean roll- and I will be taking Bonine (like dramamine- over the counter and I can drink!), but how's the rock and roll of the ship been lately? We leave on the Solstice on :DApril 5.

Thanks

We were on th March 15 sailing, and found the cruise to be quite smooth. However, on the sea days, Monday and Saturday, there was noticable motion - it wasn't unpleasant just a slow side to side roll - while the ship was travelling at speed. The seas were quite calm with less than 2metre waves. We do not get motion sickness and found the "rocking" to be quite pleasant. Do as you always do take the precautions and you should be fine.

Prophylactically speaking, I would recommend begnning to take ginger tablets several days beofre embarking, and then the recommended dosage (2 a day?) throughout the cruise. I do have a tendency to seasickness but since using the ginger have never had a problem. I have brought Bonine on my last two cruises but never taken one!

Cathy

My mother used Bonine through the Drake Passage (no mutiny!) and they rocked and roleld througha storm! No meals served! BUT no seasickness due to the Bonine AND I am sure... mind over matter.

Thanks all for your comments!:D

I sail SPECIFICALLY for the motion of the ocean! The more, the merrier! Bring it on! When I'm on small charter sailboats, I take Bonine, just as a precaution. And I love hurricane season cruising!

There is something romantic and relaxing about rocking and rolling...But then, I could spend every port day bobbing for hours in the ocean with my noodle...

If you are feeling queasy, eat plain bread products, a baked potato, and sip room temperature coke or pepsi.

Im with you Moondoggie...the rougher the better...but these big monsters just soak up even big waves. I just started working for the Canadian Navy and hope to go out for a week or 2 on one of our destroyers..they have a reputation of rolling on a wet lawn, so that should be fun!!

One way to cope with seasickness is to lie in bed, better still go to sleep. You feel less problem lying down, and you won't feel it when you are asleep, unless of course, if the motion is so strong as to throw you off your bed, which has not happened to us as yet.

I sail SPECIFICALLY for the motion of the ocean! The more, the merrier! Bring it on! When I'm on small charter sailboats, I take Bonine, just as a precaution. And I love hurricane season cruising!

There is something romantic and relaxing about rocking and rolling...But then, I could spend every port day bobbing for hours in the ocean with my noodle...

If you are feeling queasy, eat plain bread products, a baked potato, and sip room temperature coke or pepsi.

Walking with a cane makes it a little hard to navigate in a storm....but never got seasick. If I was going to this last cruise around the bottom of NZ,,,all night we tossed..both Rocking & Rolling at the same time, missed 2 of the 3 Sounds we were to go into...with 74 knot winds...(near hurricane force) Problem again was trying to stay upright in open areas with no walls. We had an accessible cabin and has a lot of open floor space, with nothing to grab onto, you just flew across until you could grab something. Halls are easy. Guess when they choose to have the fancy afternoon buffet??? My DH had to fetch me a couple plates full, couldn't navigate. Afternoon we napped...the bed was fairly stable. Just woke up in time to see the fabulous Milford Sound!

That brings back memories of our cruise on the 'charming' Marco Polo. As we went around the tip of southern NZ, the dresser drawers flew open, and then, BAM, slammed shut--ALL night long. Later that day we encountered a rogue wave during lunch--never seen anything like that in my life--lunch was all over the floor, along with all the liquor bottles AND the passengers--quite the adventure!!

Cathy

That brings back memories of our cruise on the 'charming' Marco Polo. As we went around the tip of southern NZ, the dresser drawers flew open, and then, BAM, slammed shut--ALL night long. Later that day we encountered a rogue wave during lunch--never seen anything like that in my life--lunch was all over the floor, along with all the liquor bottles AND the passengers--quite the adventure!!

Cathy

I don't ever want to meet one of those rogue waves (and I'm a boater myself).

"Severe weather has sunk more than 200 supertankers and container ships exceeding 200 metres in length during the last two decades. Rogue waves are believed to be the major cause in many such cases."

You were very lucky.

We heard that the sea between Antarctica and the southern tip of land, especially the Drake Passage, is the worst. You would even need bedbelts for that. Being neither fit nor brave, we avoid going to such places .. meow!

The unfortunate part of sea sickness is that worrying that you might get seasick actually brings on seasickness.

Take Bonine (good stuff) or a patch (from your doctor) and believe that it will keep you from getting seasick....as it's designed to do.

We were in the galapagos and many of our eXpedition shipmates read that the water can get rocky and worried about getting seasick. They almost immediately got seasick and missed the first night's meal. By the next day, they realized that it was as bad as it was going to get (it was actually quite smooth) and no one missed another meal. The mind is a very powerful thing.....

Don't worry about it...

Very wise words.

The more your worry, the more likely you will suffer.... As Ghstudio says - the mind is a very powerful thing. Believe in your chosen remedy, and start taking tablets the day before and you will not suffer....:)

We just arrived from the SOLSTICE...AWESOME CRUISE and review with pictures comming next week or so....

SO......I commented with my parents that the stabilizers were very good on that ship because it always seemed we were docked but then later on the cruise a 2nd Officer told me the seas were so calm that week they did not use them AT ALL.....very different comparing to the 2 prior weeks......:rolleyes:

Don't worry about it...

Yes, you can make seasickness worse by obsessing about it, but oh, if only thinking positive thoughts could keep you from getting it. You make it sound like seasickness is brought on by worrying about it. NOT. Have been subjected to it more than I care to think about and I get a little testy with people intimating it is all in your mind. (no, you didn't say that exactly - but your posting inferred it). If you are not subject to it, consider yourself very lucky and please keep your recommendations about avoiding it to yourself if you have not had it. My fellow suffers will thank you.

I do understand what you are saying, but if I find myself worrying about it it does tend to make it worse, for me anyway. If I forget about the possibility of being seasick, it never bothers me.

Also, I have found that if I get the slightest hint, to act on it immediately with Bonine and fresh air. I also find that being forward (on the ship!) is the worst place for me personally. We always book aft-ish cabins for that reason.

Cathy

Unfortunately sometimes it can get so bad there is no way you can forget about it - been there; done that. (and I have been on 30+ cruises , one with waves up to 30 feet high - no exaggeration - 2/3 of the crew was sick). I do agree that prophylactic treatment is best - if you are prone to seasickness, take your meds before you go. If the seas stay calm, you can always stop taking them. If they don't, you'll be glad you nipped it in the bud.

Archived