Travel irons

andy03

If you are on the Independance, RCCL prohibits passengers from bringing irons. They are a serious fire hazard.

Yes, these are, but why aren't cigarettes considered a fire hazard?:confused:

No cruise line allows irons to be brought on board. All the Carnival lines (Carnival, Cunard, Princess, Holland America etc) supply irons in their laundry rooms. Irons are a big fire hazard and pull a great deal of current and can blow your cabin electricity.

B.

Guest TropicOne
But steamers are also on the prohibited items list.

Carnival does not prohibit hand held clothes steamers.Not sure about the other lines.

Of course, cigarettes pose a fire hazard; as do irons, candles, and heating elements. Cruise lines cannot eliminate all guest-created fire hazards, they can only minimize them. The fact that cigarettes are dangerous is not an argument for opening the floodgates to all fire hazards.

When you hear the crew going through a fire drill, they are not just going through the motions. Fire is one of, if not THE, most serious danger at sea.

The OP is sailing Royal Caribbean which specifically prohibits steamers.

Further, the OP did not ask about steamers ... rather, about steam irons, not unlike the iron I have here at home that accepts water for ironing with steam.

They aren't worried about you setting fire to your clothing while you're standing there looking at it, they are worried about overloading the electrical system and causing fires inside the bulkheads. :confused: Much harder to find, and drastically harder to put out. I've been onboard a ship during a fire, and been onboard ships for many fire drills. They're never fun.

Irons are prohibited on all lines that I know of...even the travel ones. Irons have a history of turning themselves back on if left plugged in and causing fires; I have personal knowledge of this but ask any fire inspector.

Archived