Skin Rashes on Labadee???

On 4/1/2009 at 12:32 PM, HorrorFan said:

Anyone ever have a problem with skin rashes after visiting Labadee?

Let me explain. We have cruised with RCI 3 times and stopped at Labadee each time. Every time we have cruised my wife ends up with a rash on her arms and legs, small itchy blisters that if broken actually scar. They have gotten progressively worse with each cruise we have taken.

The reason we thought about Labadee was that she got them during the cruise the first time and Labadee was the first stop. She got them at the end the second cruise and Labadee was the last stop. This time at the start and Labadee was the first stop again.

We thought maybe it was detergent RCI uses in the sheets but figured they wouldn't likely use the same stuff over that length of time and it doesn't explain that she gets the rash after Labadee.

We ruled out suntan lotion because she has been using it on her stomach for the past two weeks since we've returned and no reaction.

We thought maybe there was some particular plant there she might be sensitive to, or perhaps an insecticide they use there. I dunno.

Anyway, we took Benadryl with us so she took that and it relieved the itching, but not the outbreak itself.

No big deal really, just wondering what she would be allegic to. Anyone else ever had that problem?

Does she sit in the hot tubs on board? If so, I'd stop that.

5 hours ago, johnjen said:

Does she sit in the hot tubs on board? If so, I'd stop that.

Wow, didn't expect to EVER see this thread again. We found out a few years after this thread started that my wife was actually experiencing a sun allergy. We are from Canada and end up in the hot caribbean sun in the winter with skin that isn't accustomed to it. Her skin reacts more than others I guess. Two fixes were offered by the dermatologist. Getting skin accustomed to the extra UV but using limited sessions of UV treatments prior to travelling. (She wasn't suggesting tanning salons). Heavy duty (50 SPF) lotion. She also prescribed some heavy duty cortisone cream of it happens regardless of precautions. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HorrorFan said:

Wow, didn't expect to EVER see this thread again. We found out a few years after this thread started that my wife was actually experiencing a sun allergy. We are from Canada and end up in the hot caribbean sun in the winter with skin that isn't accustomed to it. Her skin reacts more than others I guess. Two fixes were offered by the dermatologist. Getting skin accustomed to the extra UV but using limited sessions of UV treatments prior to travelling. (She wasn't suggesting tanning salons). Heavy duty (50 SPF) lotion. She also prescribed some heavy duty cortisone cream of it happens regardless of precautions. 

I hope your wife managed to overcome that situation, HF. Sorry this happened. I have heard of this same symptom before. 

I used to get a "sun rash" when I would cruise or go to Disney World.  Looked just like the pics - red, angry, swollen rash but didn't itch.  I did some research and found that it could be caused by my blood pressure medication!  I was taking a calcium channel blocker.  I talked to my cardiologist about it and she said "yep, that's it"!  She changed me to a different medication and I haven't had the rash since.  I'm not saying this is the cause for everyone but could be for some.  There are also certain antibiotics that recommend to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun.  Be sure to check your meds!!  And use an insect repellant for the sand fleas!

21 minutes ago, RNCindy said:

I used to get a "sun rash" when I would cruise or go to Disney World.  Looked just like the pics - red, angry, swollen rash but didn't itch.  I did some research and found that it could be caused by my blood pressure medication!  I was taking a calcium channel blocker.  I talked to my cardiologist about it and she said "yep, that's it"!  She changed me to a different medication and I haven't had the rash since.  I'm not saying this is the cause for everyone but could be for some.  There are also certain antibiotics that recommend to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun.  Be sure to check your meds!!  And use an insect repellant for the sand fleas!

Gone point about Medical issues or Meds. But with me first noticed Sun Rash(no swelling) 15-20yrs ago when traveling to either Disney World or on a Cruise. Style was wearing taller Sox. Lucky as no health/med issues as you and also haven't swam in Ocean or gone ashore Labadee or CoCo Cay in over 20yrs so no bug bites either. Dr says Heat Rash due to Humid/Heat and walking. Don't have same issues walking in 110 degree AZ as do in Florida/Caribbean...

• Like 1

I get this every time i am in Florida - cruising or not.  I have no idea why - at this point the only time i spend outside is walking to/from car or sitting on a covered veranda.  But yes, it gets progressively worse while I am on board, and if I could potentially think its the cruise if I didn't have the same experience just visiting my Mom.