Skin Rashes on Labadee???

I got this a few years ago when in Labadee, we usually sit near trees for the shade and I remember I noticed it getting itchy and blisters coming up once we were back on board, once the blisters burst they left tiny white scars which looked odd with a suntan...I still have those tiny white scars 8 years later, which never tan now, When I got home I went to the doctor and they said it sounds like sand fleas

8 hours ago, KimBean said:

interesting that the Oasis voyage immediately after ours was cut short after 300+ people were sickened in Labadee. They claim it is Norovirus, but I’m not so sure. 

It was more than 300, but they didn’t just get sick at Labadee.  Noro that incubated  through the week. 

10 hours ago, KimBean said:

is interesting that the Oasis voyage immediately after ours was cut short after 300+ people were sickened in Labadee. They claim it is Norovirus, but I’m not so sure. 

They didn't ALL get sick in, or after Labadee! People got sick at different times through the entire cruise, and it WAS Norovirus.

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

I love CC people reacting to an almost 10 year old thread as if it is brand new one.

jc

I experienced this rash on our cruise three weeks ago. That is why the topic is still relevant. 

9 hours ago, SRF said:

DUH. 😄

This, instead of asking random people on the internet, why not ask a professional.

Dermatologists do not have the demographic information due to the widespread international population. This foreum is (at least for me) a good way to query a larger, but targeted population of cruisers.I have a serious health concern from the newly discovered allergy. I spent the night in the ER. I have an appointment scheduled for allergy testing on Jan. 28th. It’s goint to cost $350 for the first visit. I want to have all possible information available to me so I can make the most out of the appointment. This is not a dermatology concern. I have no scars or lasting skin issues. I had no welps, but the allergic reaction caused swelling that progressed to the point my throat was closing due to my tongue swelling....it was serious...VERY serious, life-threatening. 

Edited by KimBean
Add

On 4/1/2009 at 9:46 AM, wilsonqbc said:

We both ended up with this rash on our lower legs, dont really know from what but the ac was dripping onto our bed, or maybe detergent or shomewhere walking ouround town, who kows it didnt hurt but was a bit

wierd.

DSC04998.jpg.265d48ef6fd826f7e61d2055f4bca580.jpg

DSC05011.jpg.17b3121672fb369f78f5220b03d6cf50.jpg

Your rashes look like vasculitis, which many of us get on cruises, and it's harmless.  It's caused by standing or walking a lot in hot humid weather.  If you wear socks, then it happens under where the sock covers your leg.  My husband gets it.  I get it all the time, and it goes up my leg like your first picture.  Once you are in a cooler environment it goes away on it's own as the blood leaves the surface near the skin.  It can take up to 2 days to go away..  

I participated in a thread on the Cruise Fashion board about this and swelling in the feet.  You'll find several recommendations, including mine (arnica gel mixed with benadryl gel massaged into the area)

Once the capillaries in near the skin break and the rash appears, you will always get the rash in the same place.  I take a good cover-up make-up with me (like Dermacol) and put it on my lower legs before I go out in hot, humid weather, because I know I will get it.  

The tiny, itchy blisters sound like a reaction to a bug bite.  I get them from mosquitoes. I rub benadryl gel mixed with hydrocortisone cream IMMEDIATELY when I get them, and I'm thinking this will help your wife, too.  I have severe reactions to mosquitoes, so I keep this handy, and I ALWAYS use bug repellent on my exposed skin before I go out.  Oddly, I find Avon's Skin-so-Soft repellent is the least smelly and works the best.  

Nope, no vascular or insect damage. Sorry. I had an allergic reaction that resulted in a swollen throat and tongue. I need to add that I saw NO insect on the beach. I felt NO insect bites and had NO insect bites. 

Edited by KimBean

10 minutes ago, KimBean said:

Nope, no vascular or insect damage. Sorry. I had an allergic reaction that resulted in a swollen throat and tongue. I need to add that I saw NO insect on the beach. I felt NO insect bites and had NO insect bites. 

If you were referring to my post above, I was responding to wilsonbqc's post with pictures.

14 hours ago, KimBean said:

Dermatologists do not have the demographic information due to the widespread international population. This foreum is (at least for me) a good way to query a larger, but targeted population of cruisers.I have a serious health concern from the newly discovered allergy. I spent the night in the ER. I have an appointment scheduled for allergy testing on Jan. 28th. It’s goint to cost $350 for the first visit. I want to have all possible information available to me so I can make the most out of the appointment. This is not a dermatology concern. I have no scars or lasting skin issues. I had no welps, but the allergic reaction caused swelling that progressed to the point my throat was closing due to my tongue swelling....it was serious...VERY serious, life-threatening. 

13 hours ago, KimBean said:

WAY different things than this thread.  This thread is about skin rashes.  And those could be insect or vascular related.  Or, in late fall to early spring, even heat rash for those living in cold climates and transitioning to warm areas.

If you have throat and tongue swelling, that is something different.  Until you ATE the insect, or stood on your face.  Joking, but how to you equate skin rash to tongue and throat swelling?????

It is likely something you ate or drank.  And yes, allergies can develop at any time, and some are rapid onset.  With latex allergies, health care workers (before most moved to synthetic gloves) had symptoms come on in the middle of a shift, and in life threatening levels.

Really, for what you experienced, if you want demographic data, then you start a thread about YOUR symptoms.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

WAY different things than this thread.  This thread is about skin rashes.  And those could be insect or vascular related.  Or, in late fall to early spring, even heat rash for those living in cold climates and transitioning to warm areas.

If you have throat and tongue swelling, that is something different.  Until you ATE the insect, or stood on your face.  Joking, but how to you equate skin rash to tongue and throat swelling?????

It is likely something you ate or drank.  And yes, allergies can develop at any time, and some are rapid onset.  With latex allergies, health care workers (before most moved to synthetic gloves) had symptoms come on in the middle of a shift, and in life threatening levels.

Really, for what you experienced, if you want demographic data, then you start a thread about YOUR symptoms.

20 minutes ago, KimBean said:

Ok. Thank you. I’m sorry for misguiding the thread. ~Kim

You are not misguiding this thread, people are replying to posts from 5 and 10 years ago without reading what they are responding to.  Had you not searched and brought up this thread, you would have had someone tell you to search because there are threads out there, you can't win.

It sounds like you have a severe allergy to something that needs to be identified.  I hope you now carry an epi pen for your protection.  My DH also has a severe allergy and each time he has had a problem, the reaction is worse and faster.  I hope they identify the issue soon.  Good luck.

I agree that a new thread would have been appropriate.

But I also see no problem with reviving the thread for a SIMILAR ISSUE. Which this case was not.

Yes, swollen throat is a serious issue and needs some proper medical care.

16 minutes ago, SRF said:

I agree that a new thread would have been appropriate.

But I also see no problem with reviving the thread for a SIMILAR ISSUE. Which this case was not.

Yes, swollen throat is a serious issue and needs some proper medical care.

Agree and majority of those responding to each other, not to a 5-10yr old responses as was stated

Edited by ONECRUISER