Help Save Royal Caribbean!!

It sure seems RC must be struggling given the magnitude of the cost-cutting measures (and the stock price):

• No more newspapers
  • No more mints
  • JR fee increase
  • Late nite room service fee
  • No more in-cabin liquor purchase w/ fee
  • No more bringing wine onboard
  • No more morning ice service (really, how much are they saving here?)
  • No in-room beach towel service (ditto)
  • New fee for drinks at the Captain’s “cocktail” reception
  • No more C&A welcome back party
  • Beer and wine (only) at the new Diamond reception (have the RC execs tried LaTerre?)
  • Cutbacks in food quality (deli “meat” was scary last week)
  • DR steak fee
  • Ripping out the photo coupon (really???)
  • No C&A gifts below D+
  • No combining stockholder / diamond discounts, even though one has absolutely nothing to do with the other
  • Obvious cutbacks in the marketing dept (“Nation of Why Not….Vacation Elsewhere?”)
  • Apparent elimination of the public relations department in its entirety

• Of course, last but not least: No CL access for diamonds

This in the face of (arguably) premium pricing as compared to the other mass market lines!

Now I want RC to stay “afloat”, but clearly the Miami suits are bailing with a small cup!! For those of us not ready to “jump ship” from RC yet, what can we do to help???

For my part, I:

• Bought RC stock when it was in the $40s
  • Just got off a Mariner cruise and did my fair share on the Sea Pass
  • Didn’t chug liquor in the CL – I went to the Diamond Lounge so I wouldn’t disturb the suite guests! (LOL didn’t chug there, either, but had fun with some other guests)

But what else????? How about:

• A donation box at the purser’s desk
  • A “cook your own food” station in the WJ to facilitate further staff reductions
  • Former diamond members: agree to forego our new cubic zirconia lapel pins.

Any other ideas out there???

It sure seems RC must be struggling given the magnitude of the cost-cutting measures (and the stock price):

• No more newspapers
  • No more mints
  • JR fee increase
  • Late nite room service fee
  • No more in-cabin liquor purchase w/ fee
  • No more bringing wine onboard
  • No more morning ice service (really, how much are they saving here?)
  • No in-room beach towel service (ditto)
  • New fee for drinks at the Captain’s “cocktail” reception
  • No more C&A welcome back party
  • Beer and wine (only) at the new Diamond reception (have the RC execs tried LaTerre?)
  • Cutbacks in food quality (deli “meat” was scary last week)
  • DR steak fee
  • Ripping out the photo coupon (really???)
  • No C&A gifts below D+
  • No combining stockholder / diamond discounts, even though one has absolutely nothing to do with the other
  • Obvious cutbacks in the marketing dept (“Nation of Why Not….Vacation Elsewhere?”)
  • Apparent elimination of the public relations department in its entirety

• Of course, last but not least: No CL access for diamonds

This in the face of (arguably) premium pricing as compared to the other mass market lines!

Now I want RC to stay “afloat”, but clearly the Miami suits are bailing with a small cup!! For those of us not ready to “jump ship” from RC yet, what can we do to help???

For my part, I:

• Bought RC stock when it was in the $40s
  • Just got off a Mariner cruise and did my fair share on the Sea Pass
  • Didn’t chug liquor in the CL – I went to the Diamond Lounge so I wouldn’t disturb the suite guests! (LOL didn’t chug there, either, but had fun with some other guests)

But what else????? How about:

• A donation box at the purser’s desk
  • A “cook your own food” station in the WJ to facilitate further staff reductions
  • Former diamond members: agree to forego our new cubic zirconia lapel pins.

Any other ideas out there???

Yea take a stand and go to another line so the RCCL can see the BIG mistakes that they are making and bring the items back!

Stop looking out for price drops :p.

The best thing I can honestly think of is encourage friends and family to sail with RCI, but that's not going to help dramatically.

I used to....but that has become harder to justify!

(how did you know I looked for a price drop today ;))

Yea take a stand and go to another line so the RCCL can see the BIG mistakes that they are making and bring the items back!

Sadly if they brought all that back in the current economic environemnt with their current debt-to-equity-ratio they would cease to be a viable company.

Hopefully Royal Caribbean can survive, but I think that mass market cruising is shifting to a pay-for-what-you-want type atmosphere and that is likely to stay. Even once the ecconomy recovers (assuming Royal Caribbean makes it) they have so many berths to fill with all the new cruise ships coming on line, that they will have to keep fares relatively low (to fill the ships) and therefore keep costs down as well as have lots of on-board revenue sources to boost income.

People will have to pay big bucks for the luxury cruise lines to obtain high levels of service, high quality food in the main dining room, and a largely all inclusive atmosphere.

As much as the cuts are hard to swallow, they are in all likelihood truly necessary for the cruise lines survival. I do wish they could have grandfathered in the current diamonds.

Sadly if they brought all that back in the current economic environemnt with their current debt-to-equity-ratio they would cease to be a viable company.

Hopefully Royal Caribbean can survive, but I think that mass market cruising is shifting to a pay-for-what-you-want type atmosphere and that is likely to stay. Even once the ecconomy recovers (assuming Royal Caribbean makes it) they have so many berths to fill with all the new cruise ships coming on line, that they will have to keep fares relatively low (to fill the ships) and therefore keep costs down as well as have lots of on-board revenue sources to boost income.

People will have to pay big bucks for the luxury cruise lines to obtain high levels of service, high quality food in the main dining room, and a largely all inclusive atmosphere.

As much as the cuts are hard to swallow, they are in all likelihood truly necessary for the cruise lines survival. I do wish they could have grandfathered in the current diamonds.

Well they will not get my money.. I have now Cxl 2 cabins on a pretty expesive trip with them......Sorry I can't be loyal to a line if they can not return the same.

Too late!! our only hope is if someone else offers Vicky "the hammer" what's-her-name a job somewhere else ;).

Well they will not get my money.. I have now Cxl 2 cabins on a pretty expesive trip with them......Sorry I can't be loyal to a line if they can not return the same.

I certainly don't blame you and think a lot of people will do so. However Royal Caribbean will also gain a lot of new people - diamonds are only a small percentage of the total number of people on a given sailing. Carnival Corp's lines are in somewhat better financial position (less debt and less new berths contracted to come online in the coming couple of years), but they too have been making cuts in this tough economic environment. They do seem to have somewhat better deals on some of their lines at this time though.

I feel everything is just fine. ;) People with a higher pay grade than mine know how to run their business. It's still a free market society, where competition dictates survival.

As an ex-linesman i could help moor and unmoor the ship - which could mean sacking a few deck-hands !!

Fishing lines could be set up Aft - which could cut down on buying fish.

Of-course we all could carry our own suitcases on and off !!

jj......

Sorry to say but having cruised RCI as well as Carnival, NCL, Princess and

Celebrity, I have never seen anything on RCI that justifies the higher price of RCI's cruises.

I don't cruise to climb rock walls, watch ice skating in the Caribbean or pay extra to eat at Johnny Rockets (which I would pay to eat at in my own home town).

Have to say I can find the same level of service and quality of food on other lines at a lower cost. Yes, it is possible.

RCI has always had a good product but the company's continuance to price cruises high while lowering the perks for the average returning cruiser is enough to turn me off from RCI now.

Dianne

I don't understand all of the bashing of RCCL these days. Folks, the cruise line is in trouble so it is looking to cut costs in ways that affect people in the least way possible. If you like RCCL, why stoke the flames? I'm not an RCCL zealot, I've been on 7 lines, and I am Diamond on RCCL. These "perks" were/are perks, not entitlements. To me, I base each cruise purchase on what I get for that purchase. In some cases it includes "perks", in others it doesn't. If RCCL needs to make these cutbacks to stay afloat, I hope it works. For the items listed, here's how I feel about them to give you maybe a different perspective on how "another" feels about it (I'm sure RCCL did research before they made these changes)

No more newspapers - Don't care

No more mints - don't care

JR fee increase - don't care (There's free burgers aplenty. I don't use JRs. Why pay for what I can get free in the WJ/Grill)

Late nite room service fee - don't care

No more in-cabin liquor purchase w/ fee - I think they should allow you to bring onboard

No more bringing wine onboard - I think they should allow you to bring onboard

No more morning ice service (really, how much are they saving here?) - don't care

No in-room beach towel service (ditto) - don't care

New fee for drinks at the Captain’s “cocktail” reception - don't care

No more C&A welcome back party - don't care

Beer and wine (only) at the new Diamond reception (have the RC execs tried LaTerre?) - don't care

Cutbacks in food quality (deli “meat” was scary last week) - I've noticed the cutbacks, but the food so far has still been very good (no longer excellent), so I'm ok with this.

DR steak fee - I don't like fees in the DR as this is a slippery slope to start charging for other entrees. Leave charges in the surcharge restaurants.

Ripping out the photo coupon (really???) - Don't care.

No C&A gifts below D+ - Don't care. I've given every one I've received away.

No combining stockholder / diamond discounts, even though one has absolutely nothing to do with the other - I think they should allow this. Two separate loyalty programs

Obvious cutbacks in the marketing dept (“Nation of Why Not….Vacation Elsewhere?”) - I would prefer for them to reduce even more marketing/advertising. This is a huge cash sinkhole. People already know they're out there.

Apparent elimination of the public relations department in its entirety - disagree. I've had great PR with them when I've called.

Of course, last but not least: No CL access for diamonds - don't care

Just another perspective. To me, this is all just noise. I'll continue to cruise RCCL..and others...as I have been.

None of the above items encouraged me to purchase RCCL cruises, nor will it dissuade me.

B

At least they haven't resorted to no longer delivering your luggage to the cabin and dumping it all in a lounge and the passengers have to search for their luggage in a general free for all.

Just joking :D. I am loyal to Royal.

Limit toilet rolls

jj.....

What they need to do is provide that 1/2 bark stuff that the National Park Service has in their Port-O-Pots for free (OWW!) but charge a premium fee if you want the Charmin. After a day, I'd pay $5 or more a roll for the Charmin. They'd also need to put a TP ban in place so no smuggling in the good stuff! ;)

At least they haven't resorted to no longer delivering your luggage to the cabin and dumping it all in a lounge and the passengers have to search for their luggage in a general free for all.

Just joking :D. I am loyal to Royal.

HMMM they could just put in a bigger scanner and have everyone hand carry their own - I would bring less luggage (and they could spin this as an added benefit, LOL)

What they need to do is provide that 1/2 bark stuff that the National Park Service has in their Port-O-Pots for free (OWW!) but charge a premium fee if you want the Charmin. After a day, I'd pay $5 or more a roll for the Charmin. They'd also need to put a TP ban in place so no smuggling in the good stuff! ;)

all touted as part of their "save the waves" program!! :) the park service stuff is ulta biodegradable! (but might have trouble in the the pneumatic piping :eek:)

Wow, what a list. I didn't realize that quite that much had been dropped. Fortunately, most of the items on the list are things we will not miss.

We have only been cruising since 1997 and have cruised only 14 times. These cruises were spread across four lines. We keep getting mail from these lines offering great bargains but toss them into the trash because our mindset is Royal.

Recently, we have only been booking Royal Caribbean because the loyalty program was attractive. And because of that program, we haven't balked at Royal's prices. While on vacation we spend freely and hardly give the bill a glance. We tip freely and probably too much too often. Paying extra here and there doesn't bother us. Junior suites are the perfect size for us and anything larger is not of interest.

Between cruises we take landed vacations to the Caribbean and to Europe approaching each vacation the way we cruise...seldom giving the bill a second glance. We love landed vacations as much as cruising but the Royal experience has kept us coming back to them.

So, what does bother us?... reaching diamond status and having the very perk that kept us coming back removed. The concierge lounge offers a calmness that we wanted but will not be afforded to us on the smaller ships that we like so much.

We will continue to sail with Royal Caribbean if we want a "big ship" experience.

Will we also be looking elsewhere?... yes. Royal Caribbean has finally added an item that snagged our attention to the delete list. I truly hope Royal Caribbean prospers, will support it generously when we do sail with them, but sincerely hope that they do not cause the OP's list to grow much larger.

all touted as part of their "save the waves" program!! :) the park service stuff is ulta biodegradable! (but might have trouble in the the pneumatic piping :eek:)

It's also ultra-irritating and would be a good revenue generator. Last cruise I couldn't get an extra towel for my hair because of "Save the Waves" so why not TP.

They could get rid of the paper copies of Cruise Compass and make it only available online (for a $.55/minute to view). I only wish they would get rid of the art auction brochures that show up almost everyday.

RCI has a great product and it's clear to me that all these cut backs are for one reason only....they are struggling. Oasis and now Allure must be crippling them.

I know we are in a recession and cutbacks have to be made but some of these changes don't make sense at all. In particular, the 'recent' changes for Diamond members which don't effect me but I am deeply saddened for all those whose cruise experience will not be the one they have enjoyed in the past. Loyal customers should be kept ... not pushed aside! A HUGE mistake on RCI's part I feel.

I have been on many cruises but have only been cruising with RCI for a couple of years and the thing I have noticed more than anything else was the way everyone was treated equally and I am dismayed at the direction they are now headed. I don't want to sit seperately at dinner, in the theatre or by the pool. The 'them and us' mentality so many other cruislines operate is fundamentally wrong and leaves me feeling uncomfortable. I'd finally found a cruise line I was happy with and now they are changing it all.

They should stick to what they do best and not try to copy other cruise lines. IMO the RCI 'classless' way works and they shouldn't meddle with the very thing that makes them stand head and shoulders above the rest.

I really hope they can weather this storm but I'm afraid the words 'headless' and 'chicken' come to mind.

Bring back the chocolates I say!

I don't understand all of the bashing of RCCL these days. Folks, the cruise line is in trouble so it is looking to cut costs in ways that affect people in the least way possible. If you like RCCL, why stoke the flames? I'm not an RCCL zealot, I've been on 7 lines, and I am Diamond on RCCL. These "perks" were/are perks, not entitlements. To me, I base each cruise purchase on what I get for that purchase. In some cases it includes "perks", in others it doesn't. If RCCL needs to make these cutbacks to stay afloat, I hope it works. For the items listed, here's how I feel about them to give you maybe a different perspective on how "another" feels about it (I'm sure RCCL did research before they made these changes)

No more newspapers - Don't care

No more mints - don't care

JR fee increase - don't care (There's free burgers aplenty. I don't use JRs. Why pay for what I can get free in the WJ/Grill)

Late nite room service fee - don't care

No more in-cabin liquor purchase w/ fee - I think they should allow you to bring onboard

No more bringing wine onboard - I think they should allow you to bring onboard

No more morning ice service (really, how much are they saving here?) - don't care

No in-room beach towel service (ditto) - don't care

New fee for drinks at the Captain’s “cocktail” reception - don't care

No more C&A welcome back party - don't care

Beer and wine (only) at the new Diamond reception (have the RC execs tried LaTerre?) - don't care

Cutbacks in food quality (deli “meat” was scary last week) - I've noticed the cutbacks, but the food so far has still been very good (no longer excellent), so I'm ok with this.

DR steak fee - I don't like fees in the DR as this is a slippery slope to start charging for other entrees. Leave charges in the surcharge restaurants.

Ripping out the photo coupon (really???) - Don't care.

No C&A gifts below D+ - Don't care. I've given every one I've received away.

No combining stockholder / diamond discounts, even though one has absolutely nothing to do with the other - I think they should allow this. Two separate loyalty programs

Obvious cutbacks in the marketing dept (“Nation of Why Not….Vacation Elsewhere?”) - I would prefer for them to reduce even more marketing/advertising. This is a huge cash sinkhole. People already know they're out there.

Apparent elimination of the public relations department in its entirety - disagree. I've had great PR with them when I've called.

Of course, last but not least: No CL access for diamonds - don't care

Just another perspective. To me, this is all just noise. I'll continue to cruise RCCL..and others...as I have been.

None of the above items encouraged me to purchase RCCL cruises, nor will it dissuade me.

B

I couldn't have said it better. We better get some ear plugs for all the noise and ENJOY the CRUISE.:D

"New fee for drinks at the Captain’s “cocktail” reception " - When did they start charging for drinks at the reception?

That goes into effect July 1, 2009. If you cruise before then, you can get your drinks free as usual.

Archived