Help Save Royal Caribbean!!

Everyone has their own perspective on the benefits that we are loosing. Some of you do not care. I myself have invested a lot of time and money into RCL by cruising almost monthly, purchasing stock, and encouraging others to do the same.

We have kept with RCL when others lines offered the same cruise for the same dates at a cheaper fair. The only reason why was because of their loyalty program. I am Diamond Plus and it does matter to me the benefits that have been removed. I purchased the stock as an investment into my future cruises. Now I can not use that benefit in conjunction with any other offer. That is our biggest complaint. Not too much of the other things bother me, but as a big picture.............the longer we cruise the more we lose.

I don't understand all of the bashing of RCCL these days. Folks, the cruise line is in trouble so it is looking to cut costs in ways that affect people in the least way possible. If you like RCCL, why stoke the flames? I'm not an RCCL zealot, I've been on 7 lines, and I am Diamond on RCCL. These "perks" were/are perks, not entitlements. To me, I base each cruise purchase on what I get for that purchase. In some cases it includes "perks", in others it doesn't. If RCCL needs to make these cutbacks to stay afloat, I hope it works. For the items listed, here's how I feel about them to give you maybe a different perspective on how "another" feels about it (I'm sure RCCL did research before they made these changes)

No more newspapers - Don't care

No more mints - don't care

JR fee increase - don't care (There's free burgers aplenty. I don't use JRs. Why pay for what I can get free in the WJ/Grill)

Late nite room service fee - don't care

No more in-cabin liquor purchase w/ fee - I think they should allow you to bring onboard

No more bringing wine onboard - I think they should allow you to bring onboard

No more morning ice service (really, how much are they saving here?) - don't care

No in-room beach towel service (ditto) - don't care

New fee for drinks at the Captain’s “cocktail” reception - don't care

No more C&A welcome back party - don't care

Beer and wine (only) at the new Diamond reception (have the RC execs tried LaTerre?) - don't care

Cutbacks in food quality (deli “meat” was scary last week) - I've noticed the cutbacks, but the food so far has still been very good (no longer excellent), so I'm ok with this.

DR steak fee - I don't like fees in the DR as this is a slippery slope to start charging for other entrees. Leave charges in the surcharge restaurants.

Ripping out the photo coupon (really???) - Don't care.

No C&A gifts below D+ - Don't care. I've given every one I've received away.

No combining stockholder / diamond discounts, even though one has absolutely nothing to do with the other - I think they should allow this. Two separate loyalty programs

Obvious cutbacks in the marketing dept (“Nation of Why Not….Vacation Elsewhere?”) - I would prefer for them to reduce even more marketing/advertising. This is a huge cash sinkhole. People already know they're out there.

Apparent elimination of the public relations department in its entirety - disagree. I've had great PR with them when I've called.

Of course, last but not least: No CL access for diamonds - don't care

Just another perspective. To me, this is all just noise. I'll continue to cruise RCCL..and others...as I have been.

None of the above items encouraged me to purchase RCCL cruises, nor will it dissuade me.

B

Exactly. The cost cutting measures at this time are not that severe. For those that seem to be upset about it. Surely you understand that 1) in this economy, and 2) just how the world works, products will change and inflation occurs. With that said, I am interested in knowing what you would rather see RCL eliminate/change?

Time to put my 2 cents in for what it worth and I'm well versed in ducking.:D IF you take a moment and add up the cost of a hotel room on each of the ports that a ship stops in, throw in 3 meals a day plus snacks and drinks, perhaps a suite for the diamond members plus airfare, entertainment and see how it stocks up to a cruise. I work in the travel/hospitality industry and with a resort room looking at a minimum of 300 plus a night without anything RCCL doesn't look too bad to me. I've got a balcony(E2) $228.57 a day for the two of us.

Ready to be ducked and bashed;)

I couldn't agree more. I love my land vacations; however, cost-wise cruises are much better.

The transatlantic I am going on is costing us $80/day (13 night trip). Not to bad when you think that it includes 3 meals/day as well as all types of snacks. a "hotel" room (balcony), daily activities, a pool, solarium, nightly entertainment, transportation, and the chance to see different cities.

I realize that transatlantics usually have a better price, as it does for the one I am taking next year; however, I still don't think you could beat it.

Western Caribbean $167/night (7 night). Same thing as before...3 meals/day, snacks, daily activities, pools, solarium, night entertainment, "hotel" room (balcony), and 4 ports.

I stayed in Hawaii two years ago and the hotel itself was $200/night.

I have to hand it to ksuds. She cruised RCI at least 35 times to reach d+ At least 14 of those were on 3 or 4 night cruises and at least 20 on ships without cl, so we know that cl is not important to her. Maybe it was the hats and chocolates?

I myself have invested a lot of time and money into RCL by cruising almost monthly

When I cruise, I don't do it as an investment. I never have. I do it for enjoyment, to meet new people and relax.

I purchased the stock as an investment into my future cruises. Now I can not use that benefit in conjunction with any other offer.

And there is a silver cloud in not being able to double dip with owner and next cruise benefits. Now, you don't have to have that deposit tied up. You can watch for good deals and then book your next cruise, whether it is RCI or another line. If it happens to be on RCI, then you still get the owner's benefit.

Cheer up. Start cruising because you enjoy it, not as an investment. Life will seem better. It is too short to be bitter.

RCI has a great product and it's clear to me that all these cut backs are for one reason only....they are struggling. Oasis and now Allure must be crippling them.

Finally someone has hit the nail on the head. The rocket scientists in Miami got themselves into quite a pickle committing to these new ships. They may have indeed killed the golden goose with their greed.

To those that are saying we're whining - take off your rose colored glasses for just a minute and take a good look. The list of unhappy repeat cruisers has some surprizing names on it. These aren't the CC members who normally criticize RCL and the list is getting longer by the minute. This was a huge tactical error on the part of RCL.

2P.P1

At least they haven't resorted to no longer delivering your luggage to the cabin and dumping it all in a lounge and the passengers have to search for their luggage in a general free for all.

Just joking :D. I am loyal to Royal.

That;s called Bayonne!

You have to get the towels by the pools now. DON'T go right before you are scheduled to leave for an excursion because you have to sign out the towels out with your Sea Pass number. The lines can be long in the mornings. Also, you will need to sign in the towels (make sure that they have the qty. and Sea Pass # correct) when you come back. I think they charge $20/towel if they aren't returned.

I think this differs by ship. We've always had all towels available in our stateroom from Day 1 of the cruise. They are swapped out just like the bath towels. Just this past January it was the same.

Here's my perspective on these...just for another point of view

Actually, terri LEFT OUT quite a few items:

There used to be Midnight Buffets - (different theme every night - Ah, the good ol' days) - No More

===> Don't care. Only actually ate there once during Food-Art night (which I always attend). Huge waste of food. Once its out, it can't be taken back to the kitchen (eat it or it is destroyed).

There used to be Highest Quality Food in the DR evey night - No More - ===> agreed, but still very good

There used to be Lunch in the DR every day - No More - Only on sea days ===> Very low attendance. Takes too long for lunch, prefer the other restaurants. I would be fine with them completely eliminating this, or just in the specialty restaurant (at no charge) until attendance improves.

To me, these are all very valid cost cutting messaures. I would support it just for the waste reduction.

There used to be Lunch in the DR every day - No More - Only on sea days

Remember breakfast AND lunch was served in the MDR, at YOUR table, with YOUR waiter AND busboy.

But, oh, how I hated breakfast at 6:45 or 7:45 :eek:.

That;s called Bayonne!

LOL

GXMan the towel policy does seem to vary by ship. We had beach towels in our stateroom last week on Mariner, but not the two prior cruises (maybe b/c we were in a JS on Mariner?)

I definitely agree with those who think RC has made a big blunder with this latest move. They have alienated many long-time devoted cruisers. They appear to have abruptly and drastically changed their business model, and right in the midst of a recession. Not smart for a vacation business. As a stockholder AND cruise lover, I am very concerned.

here is my current list of RC and C&A changes, in no particular order:

• No more newspapers
  • No more mints
  • No more shipshape / vitality program
  • No more stock dividend
  • No more daily lunches in the MDR
  • No more daily or gala midnight buffets
  • JR fee increase
  • Late nite room service fee
  • No more in-cabin liquor purchase w/ fee
  • No more bringing wine onboard
  • No more morning ice service
  • No in-room beach towel service
  • New fee for drinks at the Captain’s “cocktail” reception
  • No more C&A welcome back party
  • Beer and wine (only) at the new Diamond reception
  • Cutbacks in food quality
  • DR steak fee
  • No more free photo coupon
  • No C&A gifts below D+
  • No combining stockholder / diamond discounts, even though one has absolutely nothing to do with the other
  • Of course, last but not least: No CL access for diamonds

I want to save RCCL, so that when I go to other lines, all the families with kids will be on RCCL and not on my ship!

Flame away!

mokaheena I won't flame you for that - you found a silver lining ;)

this wasn't supposed to be one of the serious "perks" threads after all, but i guess it's too soon to joke about the issue....

LOL

GXMan the towel policy does seem to vary by ship. We had beach towels in our stateroom last week on Mariner, but not the two prior cruises (maybe b/c we were in a JS on Mariner?)

I definitely agree with those who think RC has made a big blunder with this latest move. They have alienated many long-time devoted cruisers. They appear to have abruptly and drastically changed their business model, and right in the midst of a recession. Not smart for a vacation business. As a stockholder AND cruise lover, I am very concerned.

I don't think it's the JS because I was in a JS on Legend and no pool towels. I was also told that I couldn't have an extra bath towel to wrap around my hair. The cabin steward blamed it on "Save the Waves" but after a couple days of her, I got the impression that it was whatever was easiest on the cabin steward. She was by far the worst we had.

I don't think it's the JS because I was in a JS on Legend and no pool towels. I was also told that I couldn't have an extra bath towel to wrap around my hair. The cabin steward blamed it on "Save the Waves" but after a couple days of her, I got the impression that it was whatever was easiest on the cabin steward. She was by far the worst we had.

you must have been in shock!! we've had two less-than-stellar stewards as well, but no issues over bath towels, thank goodness!! we've also had some incredible stewards, so when you get a not-so-good one, it's really noticeable.

you must have been in shock!! we've had two less-than-stellar stewards as well, but no issues over bath towels, thank goodness!! we've also had some incredible stewards, so when you get a not-so-good one, it's really noticeable.
Shock is an understatement! I've had FABULOUS!!!! :D cabin stewards and some that just did their job (I'm perfectly OK with that), but this one barely did ANYTHING! She wouldn't even bring ice unless we told her each time that we wanted it. Sometimes I would forget to leave her a note requesting ice when we left for the morning or dinner and sure enough, no ice was left. :rolleyes:

What is that. We are getting ready to book the Nick Cruise but maybe we should not. ARe they really not doing well?? Ok, any advice.

Personally I wouldn't book the Nick cruise simply because of all the kids, but that's just me and doesn't answer your question. :D

The extra cost steak in the dining room is an ungraded sirloin or filet mignon or something that is a better quality than the cuts of beef normally on the menu. Think black angus or similar low-fat beef cut. You don't have to order it. Some people have no problems with the beef on the regular menu or find there are enough other options that they don't need the beef. It's all up to your taste buds. The extra cost is $14.95 if you want the steak.

What is that. We are getting ready to book the Nick Cruise but maybe we should not. ARe they really not doing well?? Ok, any advice.

we just had a great cruise on Mariner last week, so i think as long as you're aware of the changes (and have enjoyed RC before) you'll be fine. it's not all bad news, just some :)

HMMM they could just put in a bigger scanner and have everyone hand carry their own - I would bring less luggage (and they could spin this as an added benefit, LOL)

And less luggage would mean less weight on the ship and they would save on gas!

The cumulative changes in service and excellence combined with the cavalier attitude of RCCL are making my April sailing my last. Food quality and service and an appreciation for my loyalty are important to me. It is the straw that breaks the camels back.

14.95 for upgraded beef, that is horrible. Is that in all the dinning rooms?? That seems cheesy. I wonder if they will do that for the Nick Cruise too. They include tips and soda on the Nick Cruise. hmmm

They say there are not to many kids. They still have to keep the kids programs in check as far as the amount of kids. So I assume that it will feel about the same. Hopefully.

What other horrible changes.

14.95 for upgraded beef, that is horrible. Is that in all the dinning rooms?? That seems cheesy. I wonder if they will do that for the Nick Cruise too. They include tips and soda on the Nick Cruise. hmmm

They say there are not to many kids. They still have to keep the kids programs in check as far as the amount of kids. So I assume that it will feel about the same. Hopefully.

What other horrible changes.

I'm not sure what you mean by all the dining rooms. I believe it is only available in the main dining room and not in Windjammer buffet, Johnny Rockets, or the other cafes onboard. I assume it would also be extra on a Nick cruise, but I have absolutely no experience with Nick cruises so can't say for sure.

I'm not thrilled about all the changes either. I figure I'm due to check out some other cruiselines anyway so if the price is right, I will.

If they welded the Oasis and Allure into the world's largest catamaran and named it the Alluring Oasis of the Seas they could save on senior staff and port fees! They could also add about 400-500 inside cabins!

large.jpg

Dave

Archived