Who is your favorite Captain?

jerseymax

We just returned from two cruises (sort of back to back). Eurodam March 14 - 21 and Veendam March 22 - 27. While all of our past cruises included some memorable staff, our recent trip on Veendam provided us with the best Captain we have ever sailed with.

Captain James Russell-Dunford was the first Captain we actually knew was onboard instead of just a voice over the speaker or a name on an invitation. He communicated with the passengers daily, attended all mariner functions and was visible and approachable on a daily basis.

The fact that he is a charming good looking man didn't hurt either! We look forward to sailing with him again some day.

Capt. Frans Consen, without a doubt, funny guy with a booming voice who likes to roll his 'rrrrrrr's:D, plus will do anything (within reason) for his guests

We really enjoyed him on the Sea of Cortez cruise. And he was the only captain I've sailed with who was highly visible. That was on the "beautiful and elegant RRRRRRRyndam" :)

We've only been on two HAL cruises, so we've only met two, but we really enjoyed our chat with Captain Hans Mateboer. He is a really nice guy...and has a very fun sense of humor! I never thought I say this, but if it came down to two cruises, and he was the captain on one of the cruises, we'd sail on his ship.

Captain Mercer is my favorite. Sailed with him on our first cruise to Alaska on the Ryndam and then several years later to Mexico on the Oosterdam. He is very nice, out and about. He always joked that we were racing the Statendam in Alaska, he would always get us to port ahead of her, even if they left before us. He went several miles out of the way to get us to a pod of whales. We knew about 15 minutes before we got to them so everyone was on deck to enjoy the show.

Captain Chris Turner, ms Prinsendam (2006-2008). Very friendly and accessible.

I second the vote for Captain Chris Turner.

We first met him when he was Captain of Windstars Wind Song. I know it was only around 150 passengers but by the end of the second day he knew all the passengers by name. I thought that was impressive.

He is a Captain that really needs a smaller ship to show his real talents. I understand he is going to the Zuiderdam. I am not sure if that will suit him or not.

Another vote for Capt. Frans Consen, he is very funny and truly enjoys interacting with the passengers. I am glad to hear he may be moving to the Eurodam.:)

No, no, he's currently on Statendam - Eurodam has her two captains - the Capt. Bos to Eurodam post is just a little 'inside joke' between Sir PMP and me since Sir PMP makes no bones about it that he really likes Eurodam! - NOT;)

Oh most definitely for me my favorite is Captain Jonathan Mercer. But a ver close second goes to Captain Frans Consen who we get to sail with in just 15 days :D Now we have only sailed with him 2 times both on the Rrrrrryndam. I am just wondering how he is going to do the Statendam ;)

This is difficult!

Fred Eversen is top choice, very visible, low key and an extremely good sport. He attended many functions, always with a smile on his face, way beyond the call of duty. He seems to have a very good rapport with his managers and their teamwork shows in a very professionally run cruise.

We've only been on two HAL cruises, so we've only met two, but we really enjoyed our chat with Captain Hans Mateboer. He is a really nice guy...and has a very fun sense of humor! I never thought I say this, but if it came down to two cruises, and he was the captain on one of the cruises, we'd sail on his ship.

That doesn't suprise me. My wife and I read his book of adventures and still get a chuckle thinking of some of the events he wrote about on his ships. I understand that if he was the Captain of your cruise, he would sign your book. Who will be the captain of the Alaska 5/17/09 on the Westerdam. Don't want to drag more weight along if it's not needed.

Thanks,

Ken