You've NEVER seen ANYTHING like this!

No3Putz

Hi all, this may sound crazy, but I've never been on a cruise and have a couple of questions. Bet that's never happended here before. ;)

Seriously though, I'm pretty excited about trying one out with my wife.

So, AWAY we go:

1. We're looking at some 4-5 Day Baltimore-Bermuda cruises around our honeymoon. Late August to Early September. Would these be considered high-demand or low demand times? Should hurricane season concern us?

2. It looks so far like our options are limited to RCI, we could leave from Baltimore or Bayonne. Would we notice much of a difference between the Grandeur and Explorer of the Seas?

3. We've pretty much settled on a balcony. We'll really be using this time to rest & relax. Not a whole lot of Bingo or Belly-Flop contests going on. It seems as though RCI offers this more laid-back type of environment. Am I off-base here?

4. Cigars...I do enjoy cigars. It looks like the grandeur at least has a library or something they convert to a cigar lounge at night. Anyone know about the Explorer? What about smoking cigars on the balcony? Elsewhere?

5. My wife is NOT into the MDR scene..eating with other folks. I've read a little bit about MTD, but it seems perhaps RCI hasn't gone fleetwide or is implementing it a bit differently than some other lines. Is it possible on either or both of these to just show up when you want?

6. Infant. We will be having a small travel companion with us. I think I just read about a possible dealbreaker. Our little sweetheart will only be 5-5.5 months by anchors away. The RCI sight seems to indicate their is a minimum age requirement of 6 months. Do you think there flexible on that? Will they ask for her birth certificate? Also, it looked like we needed to add an additional $900 to bring her based on some mock-pricing i did on the site. Seriously, $900??

Thanks for any and all input!

no3putz

6. Infant. We will be having a small travel companion with us. I think I just read about a possible dealbreaker. Our little sweetheart will only be 5-5.5 months by anchors away. The RCI sight seems to indicate their is a minimum age requirement of 6 months. Do you think there flexible on that? Will they ask for her birth certificate? Also, it looked like we needed to add an additional $900 to bring her based on some mock-pricing i did on the site. Seriously, $900??

RCI requires children to be at least 6 months old to sail. There is absolutely ZERO chance of flexibility on this, and yes, they will check her birth certificate. It is for her safety - if something happens, they do not have medical facilities to handle some medical treatments that a baby may require.

If she is traveling with you, you will have to look for a trip without cruising or you will have to wait to cruise until she is at least six months old. Sorry :(

There will be a HUGE difference in those 2 ships! But, since you've never sailed, you'll be awed at either! Explorer is larger and newer, with more "bells and whistles"!

On any cruiseline, you can be as "laid back" as you want--or party til the cows come home--your choice!

Yes--your little "bundle of joy" needs to be 6 mos.--the doctors onboard are fine with bumps and bruises, but not with pediatric issues--why would you risk that? Reschedule or leave baby with family. RCI does charge the 3rd person charge for kids--no matter how old. Some other lines don't.

Most ships have My Time Dining now--so you can eat alone, if you want to. There's also room service, but unless you have a dining table, that's a hard way to eat a full meal (off of a knee high coffee table!!!)

I'm guessing your little bundle of joy is not here yet. My advice to you is book your cruise after the baby is here:). The good lord does not always hand out little bundles of joy:eek:. He handed me very demanding colicky impatient little bundle of joy:D. Welcome to parenthood. Good luck:p

Hello,

My DW and I have been on 27 cruises. We leave for South America next week, for a 29 day B2B from Buenos Aires to San Diego.

On almost every one of our cruises and especially the last two....Hawaii in October of 2008, and the Far East in February of 2009, we have met truly interesting and fun people with whom we had dinner in the MDR.

As you have not been on a cruise, the MDR is a fine restaurant serving breakfast lunch and dinner. On some cruise lines it is open seating for breakfast and lunch and you can request to sit by yourselves by telling the person seating you. And you can request a table for 2 for dinner when you book your cruise. However, and this is my opinion only you will miss one of the nicest aspects of a cruise...meeting new people from other places in the USA, Europe, Australia and elsewhere.

Fred

Hi no3putz,

Congratulation on the new wife and the upcoming new bundle of joy.

As a mom and a grandmother that works in the medical field, I have a bit of advise for you.

When it come to the medical field, babies are specialty items. They require, special knowledge, different medications & doses, and they require tiny instruments. I have heard of several occasions when a General Practitioner wrote a prescription at the wrong dosage for a baby with disastrous results.

If you really want to cruise with baby take a Disney cruise.

Hi no3putz,

Congratulation on the new wife and the upcoming new bundle of joy.

As a mom and a grandmother that works in the medical field, I have a bit of advise for you.

I appreciate the advice. But the wife isn't new and the baby isn't our first...it's our 7th. ;) We understand they require special care.

Thanks-

No3

I appreciate the advice. But the wife isn't new and the baby isn't our first...it's our 7th. ;) We understand they require special care.

Thanks-

No3

The poster was suggesting that the medical facilities on board a ship wouldn't be equipped for an infant - not that you don't know what you're doing. Two completely different things. You may know about raising children, but you've already acknowledged you've never cruised.

Archived