Cruise Body Image

kmbrlyb

I'm not sure if this because I'm a "First Time Cruiser", but here is my problem...

We leave on the Sapphire Princess for the Mexican Riviera in exactly two weeks, and I am really concerned that I'm going to be very uncomfortable with my appearance due to some extra weight I have been chipping away at. I keep seeing all these pictures of bikini clad women relaxing on the deck of the ship, and I haven't worn a bikini since I was a preteen.

So, to all you "experienced" cruisers, I have two questions:

First, How important is a slim figure on a cruise?

Second, Any tips for looking slimmer?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if this because I'm a "First Time Cruiser", but here is my problem...

We leave on the Sapphire Princess for the Mexican Riviera in exactly two weeks, and I am really concerned that I'm going to be very uncomfortable with my appearance due to some extra weight I have been chipping away at. I keep seeing all these pictures of bikini clad women relaxing on the deck of the ship, and I haven't worn a bikini since I was a preteen.

Thanks!

No worries! The majority of people you will see on a cruise are nothing like the bikini-clad models in the ads! A cruise ship is just like a city -- people of every size and shape. There will be many, many people there with body types just like yours.

As for slimming cruise wear, look for pieces that emphasize your best assets. Avoid muumuu-type dresses and huge prints. There are brands of clothing and swimwear that specialize in this sort of thing. Newport News is one that has a line called "Shape FX" you might want to check out. Miraclesuits makes swimwear for those of us who want to minimize our excess "fluffiness!"

Really, don't worry about what you look like. I don't spend my cruises comparing bodies. I'm too busy having a good time! Embrace your curves and have a blast! :)

Like HoundMom said, there are all shapes & sizes on a cruise ship! And there are all shapes & sizes that sometimes wear some too-tiny bathing suits :) And everyone is happy to be there, so no one's really looking at anyone else's imperfections.

The best thing you can do is pack things that make you feel comfortable. Have a wonderful trip!

I like you had this image in my mind of beautiful tanned, skinny & shapely young women at the pools. I didn't even bring my swimsuit on my first cruise.

NOT! There are more overweight women (self included) then not and those beautifully tanned bodies are mostly a myth. After many cruises I am comfortable with myself and spend lots of time in and around the pools.

You will get over your fears when you go to the pool on your first cruise and look around.

Get a swimsuit that fits well. I am no skinny minny, but I have stopped worrying about that. Because, there are fat people and skinny people and old people and men in Speedos (still having nightmares about that one :eek:). And, nobody's really looking at anyone else and going "OMG!" (except for the guy in the Speedo).

The size of folks on a cruise vary just like they do on land!!! and as the above poster said, you'll be surprised at how little attention anyone pays to anyone else! Do NOT worry about your "shape"! Just like everywhere else, there will be folks larger than you, and smaller---just enjoy!

Our very first cruise I had the same concerns. Then the first visit to the pool saw some VERY overweight women wearing thong bikinis

and perfectly comfortable with their size, and their husbands looked

like they were very happy with the way their wives looked too. Ta-da! No more body image problems - and my husband says I look

sexy!

This is one of the things I love about cruising the most - that every one is out there having a GREAT time and are usually not the slightest bit self conscious. At least they don't seem that way. No one is looking at you because they are having too much fun. For those that are self conscious, they are too busy worrying about how THEY look.

You'll have a fantastic time!

Bon Voyage!

Get a swimsuit that fits well. I am no skinny minny, but I have stopped worrying about that. Because, there are fat people and skinny people and old people and men in Speedos (still having nightmares about that one :eek:). And, nobody's really looking at anyone else and going "OMG!" (except for the guy in the Speedo).

Hi lovebug33,

I know what u mean! I am still seeing the leather skinned, hairy chest and back (more a carpet) speedo clad man!

I too was worried about my appearance, then realised, tough! I am here for a holiday and if they dont like it...thats there problem!

Besides, I certainly wasn't the largest there! (close to it though!!). LOL

regards

Sharon

As soon as you get on board by the pool and have a fruity drink in your hand, you won't even think about it! You will have such a good time that you won't care. Princess is great, and there are all kinds of people. Just wear what you feel comfortable in and don't worry. As everyone has said, you will see EVERYTHING! Have a great time!

prekid days i was that girl on a cruise with a tan and tiny bikini and back then i was worrying about what people thought.on one spring break cruise my friends and i took water pills for a few weeks before to lose a few pounds, my last two cruises i was either preggers or just had a baby so again i was still worried, this time around i dont care, regardless of my size i felt the same so why does it matter, now i dont care i have curves now but im happy with them so now i will enjoy my cruise alot more. :p

Thanks!

Wear what you look good in and the hell with every else. You willl probably never see these people again. I found on our first cruise that a lot of people have no pride and should NEVER wear a bikini, but wear them they did. I was very comfortable in my one piece and did not worry about trying to look like a teeny bopper. Who has that figure anymore?

So, lesson here...Do you own thing!

One thing that makes appearing in public in a swim suit on a cruise easier for me is the fact that most of the other people (A) don't know me and (B) won't ever see me again after the trip. When I'm at home at the neighborhood pool it's another story. But a cruise is somewhere I don't have to worry as much about my usual body insecurities.

Don't worry about body image. On all of my previous cruises the women have been of average or larger size. Everyone is so worried about how THEY look that they don't really pay any attention to how YOU look.

Wear what makes you feel comfortable.

Remember, if you spend the whole cruise worrying about how you look your cruise will be over so fast you will have been miserable the whole time and missed it.

Hi, :)If this helps, cruisers are a small % of the regular population.

As such, they are the same regular people who come in all

shapes and sizes.

You are going to see: slim, fat, black, white, gay, straight,

Jewish and Gentile....

All of which break down into what makes up the cruise demographic.

Will you see teeney bikinis? Probably. Will you see people who

wear a size too small? Probably. Will you see those in the correct

size? Probably.

Find yourself a suit you feel comfortable in and have a wonderful

cruise:)

Wow, that could have been my post a year ago! I still bought the swimsuits, figuring I could hide in the hot tubs. You know what? Everything posted here is correct. We come in all shapes and sizes, even on a cruise.

I think the key for you, as it was with me, was buying things I liked and looked forward to wearing. My husband told me I looked pretty a number of times, and he made a point of telling our girls that too.

Cruising is such a relaxing experience, you're really too busy relaxing and having fun to worry about it. I did certain things when planning my attire:

1) I decided that denim could wait until I was back from the cruise, and why not dress a bit different than everyday?

2) I chose casual, comfy clothes for during the day. Nice capris, and fresh colors. Shirts were pretty without being fussy. The capris, cropped pants, etc. were not dressy, but not sloppy either.

3) I brought more than one bathing suit. If you bring just one and decide you don't feel comfortable, you're going to avoid the pool, tubs, etc.

4) For dinner, I loved wearing dresses the whole cruise. The girly feeling is a pretty one!

It's all about feeling good about yourself. It shows in my profile picture, which was taken on our cruise! When you're having a good time, it shows!

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I will be taking your advice, and just focusing on enjoying the alone time with my DH. I was able to find some great dresses for dinner over the weekend and I'm excited about the chance to "gussy up".

Kimberly

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I will be taking your advice, and just focusing on enjoying the alone time with my DH. I was able to find some great dresses for dinner over the weekend and I'm excited about the chance to "gussy up".

Kimberly

You go girl!!:)

Kimberly

Good for you!!!

We LOVE to see pictures of people's dresses...hint, hint. :D

One thing that makes appearing in public in a swim suit on a cruise easier for me is the fact that most of the other people (A) don't know me and (B) won't ever see me again after the trip. When I'm at home at the neighborhood pool it's another story. But a cruise is somewhere I don't have to worry as much about my usual body insecurities.

Happy Anniversary!~ Hubby and I celebrate 20 years on April 15, and leave on Carnival Splendor April 26 to ring in another 20 or 30 or 40 (God willing) years together.

Congratulations on your anniversary. Just think...20 years ago right now we were two girls giddy because our wedding day was so close. Now, we're the same girls, just a bit wiser and so much more appreciative of everything in our lives. Have a wonderful trip!!!!

My favorite analogy:

Everyone is going to be either staring at the beach bimbo in the bikini or the obese/overweight woman in the two piece that she has no business wearing. I was at a resort in Nicaragua last week and there was a woman who was a good 30 lbs overweight in a string bikini. No joke, EVERYONE was staring at her. I admire her confidence and sheer guts that it took to wear something so unbecoming on her. Nobody bothered looking at the gringas like me..LOL

You are somewhere in the middle of those two extremes so nobody is going to look at you anyway. Believe me, if you think you look fat and unattractive, I am sure you won't have to look very hard to find someone who has it worse than you. The whole bikini clad thing is marketing anyway.

My opinion.

Thanks!

Archived