Oberammergau Passion Play

ShibaInuMom

Has anyone every attended the Oberammergau Passion Play? This play is performed every 10 years and the next performance is in 2010. Please let me know details, what was it like, month you attended, cruise line, etc. I have been to the Passion Play in Eureka Springs, Arkansas and also the one in Glenrose, Texas. This one in Bavaria Germany sounds like the ultimate.

I have not been there but one of my friends who lived in Germany while her husband was in the military says it is wonderful and highly recommends is.

I know that Avalon has set up some cruises to attend the play ... I'm sure other companies are doing the same.

DH and I saw it in 2000 - we were on a coach trip from Berlin to Munich.

It lasted all day with a 3 hour break mid-day for lunch. As I understand it,

the Play will begin early afternoon next year and have a break for dinner and finish up late evening. We went in early Sept and it was quite chilly. It had been a cool summer and the man who played Jesus got pneumonia and had been hospitalized. It was an awesome experience and we are planning on going again next year, just don't know by what method.

It´s definitely the ultimate one. I haven´t attended it but I have a collegue who was singing in the choir in 2000.

Avalon just announced they are doing themed cruises for the Oberammergau Passion Play.

steamboats

for replying to my message. Pacmom - what cruise line is your assn. going on? I received a brochure yesterday from Peter Deilmann Cruises and they have one that ends up at the Passion Play. It look expensive though.:(

We are both Villanova alums. They use Gohagen out of Chicago for all their tours. It is not inexpensive, but we will have 5 nites on the river and three nites in O.--meals, tours. lodging on land and tix to Passion Play. Also this is our 45th reunion year, so we decided to take this opportunity to see something on our Bucket List. We also have friends doing this on their own, staying at the military Eidleweiss Inn and going to the play from there. We will be there in July. Hopefully the seats are comfortable, since it is longer than historians tell us the original was. Pat

Talked to someone who had gone a few years ago. I have also been to Eureka Springs, so was interested. It apparently *is* a long day. The play is in German. Received a flyer from Trafalgar the other day (they are doing this as part of some land tours...) - and the play starts in the afternoon, runs 3 hours, breaks for dinner - and then starts again for another 3 hours. It doesn't end until 10:30 or so in the evening. The gentleman that I spoke with said that he found it hard to follow - and he does speak some German. A group of them almost didn't go back for the 2nd half. However - he travelled that far, so stuck it out.

The tours I have seen are quite pricey. But this same gentleman did warn about travelling on your own - as the tour groups get 1st dibs on hotel rooms and restaurant bookings --> so you might be scrambling to find somewhere to eat if you travel on your own. (Ie: don't just book a room - make sure that you have meals planned and confirmed....)

Archived