First cruise - just starting to narrow our choices

gmac123

Well after reading through this excellent site we have decided to give a cruise a go for the first time.

We have decided to try something like Italy and Croatia as we have not been to this area of the Med before, travelling in Aug.

We have only looked at a few brochures so far but two look promising.

Royal Caribbean – Legend of the Seas

Princess – Royal Princess

I think as I want this to be a special holiday we will book a balcony, to feel roomier, have our tea in the morning and just to chill out.

The built in tipping kind of makes sense and takes all the worry out what is the done thing. I did also read that it is normal for 15% to be added on to any drinks bills, also how expensive are the drinks on board.

We are working out our budget as I want to be able to not worry about money too much whilst we are on holiday. I guess they will be a little more expensive but would be disappointed if the companies were taking the mickey, in my mind I thought it would be about European hotel prices.

We think we do not want to be formal every night more smart casual but not eating diner in shorts and tea shirts, it that makes sense.

Well I am sure as we look at a few more companies there will be some more questions.

Thanks for any advice and help, so far everything I have read here is sensible and helpful.

gmac

Several things to consider...It is going to be very hot in the Med. in August, plus this is the time Europeans also vacation, so it may be very crowded. that said, think about what you want from your ship. Legend of the Seas is much larger than Royal Princess, with many more onboard activities. Prices may or may not be less, as she is considered a 'standard' brand, as opposed to Premium. there will be more balconies available on her. Don't stress out about formal...A nice longer skirt with a couple fancy tops will do...or a nice sundress with a shawl (it can be chilly in dining room and some public areas...). Most of the lines don't do formal on the nights you have been in port, so there may only be one or two 'formal' nights, depending on how long your cruise is. EM

Hi thanks for the reply,

Shows how green I am at the moment, I had not given too much thought to the size other than there would be more people.

My wife likes the weather hot, so that is why we choose Aug. (I hope to get it the back end of Aug, not so hot then!)

On the non formal nights is smart casual ok, I do not want to wear a tie but would like it smarter than day beach type wear.

We did have a quick look at NCL but that felt a little too relaxed.

Gosh by the time you tie the dates together, then the size of ship, then the ports it is a mind boggling array of things to consider, mind you that is half the fun.

At least we have the date kind of fixed and at least the area we want to go.

Which of the lines would you consider to give a little more relaxed approach, but still feeling special, looking after the mid 30 to late 40 age group? I appreciate that may not be possible to answer!

Thanks again gmac

I've been on both lines and really enjoy them both. Granted, I was on Princess a long time ago, and it was my first cruise, so I didn't really know what to expect. Neither one is super formal, and both have great service. You can always eat in the buffet for dinner if you don't want to get dressed up for dinner--they usually offer the same dishes and it is much more relaxed. My last 4 cruises have been on RCI because that is what my boyfriend prefers, but I would go on Princess again in a heartbeat. Definitely get the balcony--it is wonderful to have breakfast or a pre-dinner drink on.

I think you can't really go wrong either way. I think you should think about whether you want a big ship, the price, and the itinerary. Have a wonderful time!

I agree, either line would be nice. I'd compare price and itinerary. Both lines will have you dress nice for dinner. No shorts or beach wear in the main dining rooms. If Princess had a good itinerary, I'd go there first...just a bit nicer. But either great.

Thanks to you both,

Well I will have a cost up this week and make our minds up, I was only half and half about the whole thing but I now I have started looking into it I am getting more excited.

I think if the price is ok we will go for the RCI, the itinerary looks very slightly better and I hope the bigger ship will have a wow factor with my wife.

Sorry one other thing as we think of budgets, are the drinks that expensive? I was thinking of UK hotel prices and that was how I was budgeting.

Thanks again for your help.

gmac

The drink prices are comparable to land prices--actually LESS expensive than in many of the bars in the Northern Va. area!!! You will pay dearly for wine, however--they really mark-up the wine prices. We stick to beer or mixed drinks, as you tend to get more "bang" for your buck! Not sure how UK prices are vs. American....a mixed drink will run about $5-6, depending on liquor. Beer is around $2.75--don't forget they add 155 tip!!!

All of the lines will treat you special, regardless of age. There are at least two factors that determine the ages of the passengers: cost and length. cost, because younger people do not make enough to afford more expensive cruises unless they have been saving for a long time, or are living on credit. Length, because in the US, many companies think they are doing you a big favor with one week vacation a year, and if you have worked for them for a number of years, you might get two! So younger people don't accrue enough vacation days to be able to take a cruise longer than a week, when you factor in travel time. EM

Well after reading through this excellent site we have decided to give a cruise a go for the first time.

We have decided to try something like Italy and Croatia as we have not been to this area of the Med before, travelling in Aug.

We have only looked at a few brochures so far but two look promising.

Royal Caribbean – Legend of the Seas

Princess – Royal Princess

I think as I want this to be a special holiday we will book a balcony, to feel roomier, have our tea in the morning and just to chill out.

The built in tipping kind of makes sense and takes all the worry out what is the done thing. I did also read that it is normal for 15% to be added on to any drinks bills, also how expensive are the drinks on board.

We are working out our budget as I want to be able to not worry about money too much whilst we are on holiday. I guess they will be a little more expensive but would be disappointed if the companies were taking the mickey, in my mind I thought it would be about European hotel prices.

We think we do not want to be formal every night more smart casual but not eating diner in shorts and tea shirts, it that makes sense.

Well I am sure as we look at a few more companies there will be some more questions.

Thanks for any advice and help, so far everything I have read here is sensible and helpful.

gmac

Have you considered carnival? If you have not yet eliminated it...you can also look at this cruise line.

Have you considered carnival? If you have not yet eliminated it...you can also look at this cruise line.

Carnival isn't sailing in Europe this August so not an option for the OP. They only have a few sailings in the fall on the Dream when she is launched before heading to the US.

Thanks for thinking of us and the info.

I still keep changing my mind!!

I was starting to wonder if it would be better to sail form Southampton, as this would give us some days on the ship to enjoy the ship.

Well I think I will just phone up and see what is available, that might make it easier!

Thanks again.

gmac

Well we have now booked our first cruise!

The Legend of the Seas - Italy and Croatia - July 31st - Royal Caribbean.

We will be visiting Portofino, Livorno, Messina Sicily, Venice, Dubrovnik, Naples and back to Rome.

Which forum do you think is best to get some ideas, tips and advice about the ports, how to get around and the excursions?

Thanks for the advice so far.

gamc

Archived