Nautica Dining Room Air conditioning - too cold for strappy dresses?

Sunmargo

We are going on Athens to Istanbul May 12-24 and I want to know how cool the air conditioning is? Some places are freezing!:rolleyes:

I know I can take a pashmina, but might choose to leave behind any strappy dresses, and take pants and long-sleeved tops instead. Maybe short sleeved tops?

Also I know there aren't any formal nights, but how dressy is dinner?:confused: I guess it's smart casual?

One more question - do we have to book some nights at a restaurant?

Mandy

Smart casual is fine. AC can really depend on how sensitive you are to it, I didn't have a problem, but I usually run warm. Your are on a warmer cruise, but in mid-May it may still be cool in the evenings. You don't have to book anything, but the two specialty restaurants are usually by reservation so when you want to eat there you will want to book your time. There are times when you can just go by there and they do have a table available and there are times whe the main dining room is busier and they will send people to the specialty restaurants instead. Have a good time!

I "run warm" as well :o and it can't be cool enough for me.

If you haven't sailed for awhile, the mainstream lines (as part of the cost cutting measures) have raised temps throughout the ship - not because some people are sensitive to cold, but to save moola. Cabin temps are set to 72 now on X. That's too warm for me to sleep or try to dress when the cabin fills up with steam from the shower.

I've never been cold on a ship, but I know lots of women who are sensitive to cold temps and wear sweaters when I'm HOT...

Play it safe and bring your pashmina...small item to pack. I'm doing a similar sailing in late October and expect to be warm, so short sleeves and light weight for me. I usually fly in my "in case it gets cold" stuff, so I don't have to pack it.

"You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time"

Not sure who said that, but it sure holds true when it comes to room temperatures.

First of all, if you have not sailed Oceania before, you will find that your stateroom has an adjustable thermostat and you can set your own preference.

Secondly, the dining rooms are pre-set and some have stated that it is on the cool side. (I said "cool", not "cold"). It is well known that if a dining area is a little too warm, people will generally feel uncomfortable, and there's not much one can do about it. However, if it is a bit cool, then it is quite easy to add a sweater, wrap, or other garment to make one more comfortable.

That's about all I can add to your questions - I'm not sure what a "strappy" dress is anyway and my wife tells me it's none of my business! :rolleyes:

I "run warm" as well :o and it can't be cool enough for me.

Sunmargo-

We are also in the "always hot" group, but you're going to find that the AC on Oceania has hot and cold spots that they cannot regulate with any accuracy.

You might be perfect at one table in the Grand Dining Room, freezing at another and hot at a third.

The same goes for the lounges, which are warmish as the happy hour crowd shows up and always get chilly after the dinner rush has subsided.

Remember, it's a smallish ship, the public rooms are not huge, and fifty people can throw off a lot of body heat!

If we had to pick one big difference in the "feel" of the O ships as opposed to the larger mass market cruise ships, we would say that the ceilings on O are lower, which does make a difference when it comes to HVAC .

We've overheard people asking the Maitre d' to sit in the warmest part of the dining room, and he knew exactly where to put them. If you're the kind of person who will happily switch chairs, or even tables, to find a comfortable place, you'll be fine.

Strappy dresses are fine fashion wise, but pants with short sleeved tops and an optional jacket covers all your bases ;)

You don't need to book any reservations if you don't want to as you can always eat in the Grand Dining Room or the Terrace Restaurant (in fact, the Grand Dining Room does not take advance reservations), but if you want to be sure of trying the specialty restaurants, you'll want to reserve.

We are going on Athens to Istanbul May 12-24 and I want to know how cool the air conditioning is? Some places are freezing!:rolleyes:

I know I can take a pashmina, but might choose to leave behind any strappy dresses, and take pants and long-sleeved tops instead. Maybe short sleeved tops?

Also I know there aren't any formal nights, but how dressy is dinner?:confused: I guess it's smart casual?

One more question - do we have to book some nights at a restaurant?

Mandy

In September, as first-time cruisers, I was most comfortable at dinner with pants and short-sleeve tops but I tend to run hotter than many. Of course, starting in Istanbul, I always had my pashmina with me just in case!:)

It was not as dressy as I had anticipated, and I plan to "pack down" this time; Gerry (spouse) claims that he will not be bringing a jacket with him this trip. (We'll see when he actually packs about two hours before we leave for the airport!)

I booked my two specialty restaurants (steak/seafood and Italian, respectively) the first evening for two nights of the first week of the trip because I wanted to see if I liked them and return to either of them the second week. We did return to the Polo Grill because I thought the prime rib was fabulous and the service attentive, but chose not to return to Toscana because although the food was fine the night we were there, we had very bad service there. I am sure that varies night to night and will be trying Toscana again in June.

We thought the Grand Dining Room service and food was excellent, and really enjoyed not having to book dinner there but showing up whenever it was convenient for our schedule that day.

Hope you have extra days in Istanbul; it is simply fabulous.

I am called a bloodless wonder because I am always cold. I found that I was most comfortable in the various public spots on Oceania with slacks and a short-sleeved top in the evening. I also carried a sweater/jacket at all times. On our first O cruise I needed it in the Grand Dining Room and Polo. I did not need it in Toscana or the Terrace. On our second O cruise I did not need it in any dining room but did need it in the various lounges.

Personally, I would pack lightly and leave the strappy dresses at home. Pack slacks and various tops since you will be able to wear them in all of the dining spots as well as during the day. Smart casual is the dress code.

I would urge you to make your dinner reservations for Toscana and Polo on your first day onboard. If you like them, you can try for another reservation during the cruise. No reservations are needed for the Grand Dining Room or the Terrace.

Wow - thanks everyone for the feedback!

I think I'll leave the strappy dress behind as I feel the cold more often than not, and my husband is a definite "bloodless wonder"! He won't be taking his strappy dresses either! (tee hee):D

We only have 2 weeks until we leave for our vacation - 4 weeks to the cruise- so now I'll have to get out all the clothes I want to take and divide by 2, then 2 again!:)

Are the pools heated? It's May 12 - 24 so may not be too warm.

Mandy

Are the pools heated? It's May 12 - 24 so may not be too warm.

Mandy

Pool is heated

Greece in May could be mid 20's to 30's C with the humidity to go along with it

enjoy the cruise

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I found that it was coolish in the dining rooms, so if I took a light jacket or a wrap, I was fine. The strappy dress got a workout, but it had a matching wrap!

Interesting about the port and starboard difference - I only read this today, and can't say I noticed any temperature difference.

This cruise was 12 - 24 May and it was about 23 degrees C most days - much cooler than I would have thought for the med in May! There was often a cool breeze blowing on shore, so I had to take a light jacket with me every day.

One day in Mykonos there was a howling gale blowing and it was downright cold!!

Hope this helps others.:)

Archived