Admirality law

chloes nana

Can someone explain the Admirality law when onboard a ship to me? Who has true jurisdiction? I will be in the Mediterranean.:rolleyes:

Admiralty law is very complex. If you have specific legal questions they should be addressed to an attorney who practices admiralty law.

Admiralty law is very complex. If you have specific legal questions they should be addressed to an attorney who practices admiralty law.

I really don't plan to do anything illegal, I just wanted to understand the jurisdiction of the captain and the home country of the ship vs. the country where you port in and if any of the bodies of water around the mediterranean are actually international waters. I just read a little about it and was trying ti understand it better, don't think I need an attorney for that.:rolleyes:

... and if any of the bodies of water around the mediterranean are actually international waters. :rolleyes:
Most of your cruise will be in international waters - anytime you are more than 12 miles offshore from any country - roughly 1/2 hour after leaving port if you are going straight out.

Sorry if I upset you. The truth is that the internet is full of bad and misleading legal advice. While CC is wonderful for so many reasons, these reasons do not include dispensing legal (or medical) advice. Admiralty law is a complex category of law that even very few attorneys have any training or experience in. The "top of the head" answers are often worse than no answers.

There may be some legal websites that offer generalized information that can answer your questions, but I would caution against relying on such advice -- if the advice can affect you adversely in any way.

Have a wonderful cruise - the Med is great.

There may be some legal websites that offer generalized information that can answer your questions, but I would caution against relying on such advice -- if the advice can affect you adversely in any way.

there is no advice that would affect me adversely. I just wondered what it actually states is all. I don't intend to do anything covert, just saw it mentioned on another thread and wondered what it was all about is all. Don't really need a technical law version just a simple answer. thanks

Sorry if I upset you. The truth is that the internet is full of bad and misleading legal advice. While CC is wonderful for so many reasons, these reasons do not include dispensing legal (or medical) advice. Admiralty law is a complex category of law that even very few attorneys have any training or experience in. The "top of the head" answers are often worse than no answers.There may be some legal websites that offer generalized information that can answer your questions, but I would caution against relying on such advice -- if the advice can affect you adversely in any way.

I'm an accountant...Same thing applies!:eek:Think tax.

Don't really need a technical law version just a simple answer. thanks
It seems like shorex is trying to say there is no simple answer. Some facets are common throughout the world. But countries have their own set of Admiralty laws. As I understand it, the general rule is that when a ship is in International Waters, jurisdiction lies with the nation in which the vessel is flagged. But like all general rules, there are exceptions.

It seems like shorex is trying to say there is no simple answer. Some facets are common throughout the world. But countries have their own set of Admiralty laws. As I understand it, the general rule is that when a ship is in International Waters, jurisdiction lies with the nation in which the vessel is flagged. But like all general rules, there are exceptions.

Thanks Jim:o

I'm getting the sense you imagine Admiralty Law to fit in one textbook and basics could easily be explained here but that simply is not the case. It is highly technical and very specialized field of law. Only a very small percentage of attorneys have any knowledge in this field.

There is no way to qive a quick 'overview'.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your request and have responded in a way that is of no help to you.

Here's another thread on the Ask a Question board that discusses how complicated this really is.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=961483

Here's that Wiki page that one poster describes as "decent":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiralty_law

I'm a lawyer. Shorex's post was curt, but the information was true: very complex. No reason why you can't read and get a feel for why.

Can someone explain the Admirality law when onboard a ship to me? Who has true jurisdiction? I will be in the Mediterranean.:rolleyes:
On the ship, the Captain is God.

In ports, I guess it would be the jurisdiction of the specific port. You break a law while on shore, you deal with that specific country's legal system. The captain then would have very little say.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If you have a legal issue with the cruise line that requires a lawyer to represent you should always use a law firm/lawyer which has and advertizes this expertise. Always! One should also be aware that the statue of limitations on the high seas is one year in contrast to two years for all other cases in the USA.

The captain has the ulitmate authority on the high seas. He can order you to stay in your cabin for any reason (typically if you have nero virus it's for for 3 days), put you in shackles etc.

Good Luck.

It's like radio law: There's the part that Everyone Knows, which usually isn't true; and the part the FCC legislates, which people say, "Really??"

For instance: It's forbidden to play the National Anthem after the sign-off announcement. Or to wish someone a happy birthday. And you might get in trouble for having a penny near the control board.

It's like radio law: There's the part that Everyone Knows, which usually isn't true; and the part the FCC legislates, which people say, "Really??"

For instance: It's forbidden to play the National Anthem after the sign-off announcement. Or to wish someone a happy birthday. And you might get in trouble for having a penny near the control board.

...child of the 50's the late night sign off was always followed by the National Anthem (we're talking the B & W station pattern signature here).

I suppose my question is (although not applicable to 24/7 radio & television feeds today): why can't a station (either TV/radio) play the national anthem anytime it damn well wants to? (or did I read your post incorrectly?)

Thanks.

"A mind is a terrible thing to loose, but loosing one's liberty is criminal".)

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

prescottbob --

Why can't a station (either TV/radio) play the National Anthem anytime it damn well wants to?
It can; just not before the sign-on or after the sign-off announcement. The first thing a station must put on the air is the sign-on (WICC, Bridgeport) and the last thing it says is the sign-off (WICC, Bridgeport). Nothing else comes before the former or after the latter. You do the N.A. between them.

Now, in real life, the Feds aren't going to say anything. But that *is* the law. And you don't include the state.

Unfortunately, there's no big legal book that codifies international law or admiralty law. What Admiralty law is a big web of treaties between signatory nations. Many are based on tradition such as the 12 mile territorial limit. Others are based on a mutual need such as MARPOL the MARitime POLlution treaty and SOLAS the Safety of Life At Sea treaty that standardizes safety equipment and procedures.

But as with many things in life, treaties and international law are only as good as your ability to enforce them. The 12 mile limit for example is commonly recognized but some nations claim more. The US declares a 200 mile EEZ or Exclusive Economic Zone for fisheries and minerals.

As far as jurisdiction, that also varies. Generally, the flag nation has jurisdiction over a vessel under her flag. But there are, again treaties and agreements. For US based ships, the lines have agreements with the US government that amongst other things allow US authorities such as the FBI to investigate crimes committed in any waters against US citizens. They also have to agree to participate in the CDC Vessel Sanitation program.

Like others have said, it can be very complicated but there are a lot of on-line resources if you're looking for curiosity's sake.

• 2 years later...
Hi. As far as I know on international waters you (as an individual) are subject to the law of the country under which flag the ship sails. Different rules applies to the ship.

Yhis is not correct with the recent legislation passed by the US Congress--

commit any crime on a US Citizen on a cruise ship even if it is in international waters and the FBI will charge you and prosecute.

BG

Hi. As far as I know on international waters you (as an individual) are subject to the law of the country under which flag the ship sails. Different rules applies to the ship.

Welcome to Cruise Critic :D

In case you weren't aware of it, this thread you have dug up is over 2 yrs old.

Archived