Instanbul TRAM

For the major tourist stops on the TRAM, (Topkapi Palace, Ayasofia, Blue Mosque, Basilican Cistern and Hippodrome), does anyone know exactly what is the stop on the TRAM; what is the name of the stop on the TRAM where these sites are located. (So we can map it out on the transit map)

Also, I understand that the Grand Bazaar is located two additional stops past the tourist stops. What is the name of that stop on the TRAM (again so we can map it out on the transit map)

Two other questions, first, do we need a turkish visa for the one day in port in Instanbul and Kudasdi, and do we need turkish money for anything other than the TRAM. Do we need turkish money for any of the tourist sites.

I know that in the Grand Bazaar, US $ are accepted

Thanks

Marvin & Judy

Assuming "1 day" means you arrive on the ship and leave on the ship, you do not need a visa. If you arrive or leave Turkey some other way or overnight on land, you do need a visa (although the latter is more theoretical than reality).

You will need Turkish lira for museums as well as public transportation. Basically anything government run requires the national currency.

As often as I have been to Istanbul, it occurs to me that I do not know the name of the tram stops ... I just get off when I get to the right place. :)

If you can't find the information, repeat the question, I can certainly look it up.

Paul and Pam; Thanks you so much for the information.

Certainly, I believe you are comfortable going off in Instanbul on your own instead of taking a ships tour. We are there only 1 day, but with the TRAM close to the pier and all of the sights directly on the TRAM line, I am beginning to feel comfortable doing it myself.

This is our first trip to Athens, Instanbul, Rome, Florence.... etc

Thanks again

Paul and Pam; Thanks you so much for the information.

Certainly, I believe you are comfortable going off in Instanbul on your own instead of taking a ships tour. We are there only 1 day, but with the TRAM close to the pier and all of the sights directly on the TRAM line, I am beginning to feel comfortable doing it myself.

This is our first trip to Athens, Instanbul, Rome, Florence.... etc

Thanks again

If you have time, be sure to take the underground tram that starts two or three blocks from the Ship dock up to Istiklal Cadesi street. We did it ourselves on the first night's arrival (we came in late afternoon) and found it very interesting and reasonably safe during the day/early evening.

The route map posted inside the tram cars lists the Sultanahmet stop for all the historical attractions. That stop is indeed roughly in the middle of the historical area. However, if you want to start with the attraction furthest from the ship (the Blue Mosque) and work back towards the ship, I believe the Cemberlitas stop is a slightly shorter walk to the Blue Mosque. Just look for the 6 minarets, which make the Blue Mosque very easy to find. (Aya Sofya has 4, all the other mosques in the area have 1 or 2.)

Aya Sofya is right across the street from the Blue Mosque, and the Basilica (Yerebatan) Cistern is just a block from Aya Sofya-- follow the signs. There are also signs to the Grand Bazaar, although some say "Grand Bazaar" and some say "Kapalicarsi".

For Topkapi, the closest tram stop is Gulhane. Facing the direction the tram was going, walk left (towards the Bosphorus). Gulhane is a very busy commercial area, but after just a block or so you'll be walking through a pleasant parklike area and will soon see the Topkapi walls. If in doubt which way to go, go uphill. Topkapi is on a high point, so the 5-10 minute walk is all uphill (although not steep).

Archived