Orlando Air Port to Port - Carseat?

my $.02

We will be flying in from NJ for a cruise. I would assume we take a taxi to the port/hotel and then back.

On this trip, I really do not want to bring his carseat. I know they make the portable one's or just hold him on our laps?

It is about a 45 minute drive from Orlando airport to Port Canaveral making a taxi over $100 each way. We have sailed from that port a few times. We always get a one way rental car since we come in at least the day before. I mid size rental is around $50 for a day and you should be able to rent a car seat too. Hertz, Budget, Avis and Enterprise are all in the area and will shuttle you from their rental sites to the port free. Thrifty might still be there too but had a one way drop off fee last I checked so wasn't worth it for us.

There are also many shuttle services that run around $35ish pp.

Check out the Florida departure forums, lots of information there in a thread called "I work at Port Canaveral".

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=436720

In looking into this, I think I might do a sedan service.

THe cost is roughly $250 round trip, but it is door to door. Agreed, a rental would be cheaper (by about $100) BUT i then have to do shuttles and what not.

Traveling for the first time with the 2 year old (and my wife!!) i think that may be $100 well spent!!

So, i just need to figure out how to get from the hotel to the port (i am thinking shuttle) and I am all set!!!

More then likely, I will get a portable car set to bring with us if needed.

We like having a rental since we always come in the day before. One of the good things about having a rental is being able to run last minute errands, go out to dinner, or just explore before you bed down for the night. We buy our toiletries at a nearby store, a case of water and snacks for excursions since I don't want to have to pack heavy stuff since luggage restrictions are tight. If you did decide on a rental, you could get diapers, wipes, juice boxes, etc once you got to the port area.

The morning of the cruise, we return the car and take the rental shuttle to the pier since I am traveling with DH and DS who is 18 yrs old. People with younger kids have dad drop the family off at the pier with the luggage, go return the car and only dad takes rental shuttle back to join family.

Most of the hotels in the area have shuttles to the pier for $3ish pp so that is another option.

We did use a town car service after our last cruise instead of a rental car since Delta moved our flight to 11:15am. I didn't want to chance missing our flight if there was an issue with the rental.

Good luck whatever you decide.:)

For that port we use Florida Towncar service. It is $200 - $230 for a Lincoln Towncar. They pick us up at the airport (or hotel) and have us to the port in 45 minutes. And then can bring a car seat with them.

We have used them at least 8 times and have never had any issues with them.

Ppfft, lost my post. Here it is again!

I'd use a towncar service or a bus shuttle. The towncars can provide carseats, no carseats needed on busses. For the towncar, I've used Sunray Transportaion, they are great guys, we use then everytime we are in Orlando. I always bring my own carseat but I hear they have nice carseats, just let them know what you need.

For a portable carseat to use in a taxi (if you need it for the ports), we have the Ride Safer Travel Vest. Children must be both 38" in height AND 35# to use this product. My almost 4 yr old hasn't hit the weight minimum yet, but this is what we'll be using for our Alaska Cruise this summer. I suppose it would work for many 3 yr olds, should work for most kids 4 and up. There are actually 2 sizes of vests, so whatever the upper limits on the size small, you can then buy the next bigger size. It looks weird, but distributes crash forces very well, and actually performs very well in crash tests. I try to always but my child in the center since obviously it offers no side impact protection. You need either a lap/shoulder belt combination, OR if you have lap belt only, then you need a top tether anchor.

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Safe-Traffic-Systems-Ride-Safer-Travel-Vest.pro to purchase

Thank you all so much for the info.

We will be staying at the Hilton pre cruise, so I think doing the rental for the pre is a good idea. We will get a seat from them in the rental. THis way we can also go out and get our last minute needs vs. carrying them down (ie: diapers, wipes, wine, etc!!). Drop mom, luggage and son off and I will take car back. reallyitsmema, good point's I did not think of!!!

For post, we will be flying right out that day. I will do one of the car service's mentioned below that provide a seat.

I think this work's out best, and easieist for all.

Again, thank you all so much! We have cruised 8 times, but this is the first with our sone and on Carnival, it feels "new" again!!!!!!

Thank you all so much for the info.

We will be staying at the Hilton pre cruise, so I think doing the rental for the pre is a good idea. We will get a seat from them in the rental. THis way we can also go out and get our last minute needs vs. carrying them down (ie: diapers, wipes, wine, etc!!). Drop mom, luggage and son off and I will take car back. reallyitsmema, good point's I did not think of!!!

For post, we will be flying right out that day. I will do one of the car service's mentioned below that provide a seat.

I think this work's out best, and easieist for all.

Again, thank you all so much! We have cruised 8 times, but this is the first with our sone and on Carnival, it feels "new" again!!!!!!

ALSO, I wanted to add, for car rentals in Port Canaveral, check with the ones that are closest to the port. Avis and Budget/Thrify are the closest to the port, so your drop off will be faster. Enterprise (which we chose in PC) was farther away. I won't taken them again (especially after using them in FLL, never again)

ALSO, I wanted to add, for car rentals in Port Canaveral, check with the ones that are closest to the port. Avis and Budget/Thrify are the closest to the port, so your drop off will be faster. Enterprise (which we chose in PC) was farther away. I won't taken them again (especially after using them in FLL, never again)

Ok...We're arriving June 20th for our 21st departure on the FOS. From what I'm seeing here, the best thing (money wise) would be to rent a car from the airport, drive to a hotel, and then drive the car to the rental agency the next morning prior to our departure.

Question...how far are the rental agency's from the port? And which hotels are the closest to the port? Any thoughts on this?

And I guess while I'm at it...I better rent a car to get back to the airport. Would you suggest I use the valet service on board to get our luggage back?

Thank you in advance.

Hertz is the closest rental agency to the port but Budget is just a few driveways down. We have used both Hertz and Budget in the past. Budget is on airport, Hertz isn't so you have to shuttle to their offsite location. Both Hertz and Budget are a 5 minute ride to the port. My family has taken the shuttle with our luggage to the port since we don't like to split up and I am traveling with an older teen, not young kids. We have never waited more than 5 minutes for the rental shuttle, knock on wood.:D;)

Lately, it looks like Avis has the best rates based on the link I posted above. We haven't used them so I am not sure how far they are from the port.

As far as hotels, Radison, Country Inn and Suites and Residence Inn are the closest to the port. Radison has the best pool, but has outdoor corridors for some of their buildings.

Both Country Inn and Suites and Residence Inn are only a couple of years old. We have stayed at Residence Inn twice. Very clean, great staff, free breakfast buffet and also free managers reception though the manager's reception is only monday thru thursday so we have never experienced it. Breakfast buffet was good.

None of these hotels are on the ocean but are within an easy ride to the beach. You can see the ships from the hotels, off in the distance.

Hertz is the closest rental agency to the port but Budget is just a few driveways down. We have used both Hertz and Budget in the past. Budget is on airport, Hertz isn't so you have to shuttle to their offsite location. Both Hertz and Budget are a 5 minute ride to the port. My family has taken the shuttle with our luggage to the port since we don't like to split up and I am traveling with an older teen, not young kids. We have never waited more than 5 minutes for the rental shuttle, knock on wood.:D;)

Exactly what mema said! There seemed to be alot of Budget shuttles too. They were everywhere. We had a small van get us for Enterprise. And we had to wait a while for him. :(

So try Budget. It is located on site at MCO. Rent the car there, drive it to the hotel, then to the port return office the next day. Then take the shuttle over to the port.

I'm pricing rentals vs. limo service for MCO to Port and Port to WDW. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids under 5. Can anybody tell me which Budget it is that is close to port? There are several listed for the area. I've never been to this area, so pardon my ignorance!!:confused:

Archived