Muster Drill

CrownGal

What's funny here is how uptight everyone around here is. :eek:

Yea, that happens. You get numb to it after a while. :rolleyes:

What you asked is a very valid question for a first time cruiser.

Anywho, as has been well stated, the drill is mandatory. It isn't at the discretion of the cruise line. It is mandated by Safety Of Life At Sea (SOLAS) regulations. So, it is the responsibility of the cruise lines to make sure everyone attends.

Crowngal are you by any chance the same poster, under a different name, that was here a couple months ago saying how she just couldn't do the muster drill and then said she was cancelling her cruise so she didn't have too?

Did you really think when you posted your original question that it was not mandatory?

CrownGal: Are you a first time cruiser? Or are you simply trying to rile folks up about the subject? It sounds like you started the thread to see if you could get what you perceive as "uptight" or "negative" responses. Then you made a wise a$$ post to try to "shock" uppitycats, whose post wasn't "wise"(a$$) as you claim, but was strongly worded.

If you were asking a serious question and got the responses you wanted, why not let it go? Why make cracks about how "uptight" you think everyone is? Are you looking for or trying to create reasons to make snippy remarks to others?

beachchick

On Princess the Muster drill is done in Lounges- Very easy - over within a few minutes-- you dont have to wear the life jacket until they tell you to. (show up at the last minute-- you have to stand because there wont be no more seats left)

Everything is closed-- stewards are supposed to go in and check the cabins. (i dont know how they would do a roll- call to see if you are there or not)

On the Pearl 2 weeks ago we mustered in one of the restaruants. Each life jacket has the cabin number on it and we were greeted by name, and checked off the list.

Also there was to quote a crew member "absolutely no pictures or video in the muster area." A woman sitting at the table next to us must have thought this meant everyone on the ship EXCEPT her even after 2 warnings. She had a :eek: look on her face when one of the ship's officers took her camera away from her.

Bruce

I am wondering,on a 14 day cruise with passengers boarding 1/2 way thru the cruise r we obligated to go a second time and what about people joining part way thru a cruise!!!!!:)

I am wondering,on a 14 day cruise with passengers boarding 1/2 way thru the cruise r we obligated to go a second time and what about people joining part way thru a cruise!!!!!:)

Depends. Are you talking about two 7 day cruises b2b, or a single cruise that lasts 14 days?

Bruce

If it is a B2B, you will have to do it twice.

While I agree this may be a bait, the term OP is used not only on Cruise Critics. It is used on just about every kind of forum on the internet. And, just about every forum on the internet has those posters with a lot of negativity. The anonymity of the internet just brings that out-it's the nature of the beast. The OP may be a pot stirrer but I believe in giving the benefit of doubt and answering the question. It just may be legit.

Pearl

Anyone care what the actual requirement is?

First of all, the requirement comes from a SOLAS recommendation that many countries, including the US, have incorporated to regulations/law. Have I confused you yet?

SOLAS recommendations call for:

on a cruise of less than 1 week, a drill with in 24 hours of leaving port

on a cruise of more than 1 week a drill b4 getting underway AND once a week thereafter

Ships loading pass' in the US get graded on how well they conduct these drills, by USCG. The inspectors are often in plain clothes.

If you don't participate and the cruise line ignores that, their grade goes down....if it goes down enuf they don't get to load pass' and sail from a US port.

An anticillary task achieved at the drill is verifying the 'muster list' for accounting for everyone on board in case of an emergency.

there are some lines I'll sail....and some I choose to NOT sail.

or if I need to spell it out for you .... a cruise line that doesn't care if you skip the drill...very well may not care where you were when they boarded the lifeboats

Do you go to the muster drill? It's not mandatory, is it?

Yes, it's mandatory.

Yes, I attend - everytime - every cruise.

In case of an emergency, it's important you know what to do, where to go and what might happen.

The U.S. Coast Guard requires it be held and requires all to attend...and many times are onboard making sure it happens and that everyone participates.

They will let you know. As posted, cruises that are more than 1 week long require a muster drill each week.

The most irritating part of the muster drills is the people who screw around and don't listen, making the crew wait for them to stop and wait for them to pay attention. Yes, we ALL want to start our vacation. It would be these people running around complaining and have no clue if something did happen.

It's 20 minutes, no big deal.

The most irritating part of the muster drills is the people who screw around and don't listen, making the crew wait for them to stop and wait for them to pay attention. Yes, we ALL want to start our vacation. It would be these people running around complaining and have no clue if something did happen.

And it always sickens me when I see people blowing the whistles.

• 2 weeks later...
Crowngal are you by any chance the same poster, under a different name, that was here a couple months ago saying how she just couldn't do the muster drill and then said she was cancelling her cruise so she didn't have too?

No.

The term OP is used not only on Cruise Critics. It is used on just about every kind of forum on the internet. And, just about every forum on the internet has those posters with a lot of negativity.

True statement.

I have never gone through a second muster drill on a cruise longer than a week. However, I have been aware of the crew having various drills when we are in port, necessitating lowering of the lifeboats. EM

Muster Drill IS serious. Also, it is a PITA waiting for those who think they have something 'better' to do while the rest of us are waiting for them to be called again, and again, and again....

FWIW - after our first cruise, the ship sank on the next sailing.

Yikes. What ship?

I was just on a 17-day cruise that had only one muster drill. Interestingly, the drill took place on the second day of the cruise, when we were leaving the first port of call. It was still within the first 24 hours of the cruise, but only barely.

There were crew drills several times during the trip.

I had no idea people didn't like going to muster drills until I started reading the Cruise Critic boards. People worry about looking silly in a life vest? Seriously? It would never have occurred to me to skip out. I'd be annoyed if I had to stand around waiting for someone who didn't want to come out until they were told they really really had to.

• Administrators
On Princess they do not go around banging on cabin doors, nor have I ever seen crew members standing around with checklists to mark you as present.

So you have cruised before, and still posted the first question with which you began this thread? Sorry, but that's very hard to believe -- anyone who has already taken even one cruise knows darned well that muster drill is mandatory -- the ship closes down -- the endless PA announcements -- the crew is at the drill -- and everyone stands at the drill waiting for those few who didn't show up, until they are accounted for.

I've sailed seven different cruiselines, two of them owned by Carnival Corp (as is Princess), and on ALL of them some form of attendance was taken at muster drill -- either you reported in to a crew member and were checked off, or a crew member looked at the cabin number on your lifejacket and checked you off. So you are saying that Princess doesn't take some form of attendance at muster drill, and Princess passengers are free to blow it off? :rolleyes:

On the Pearl 2 weeks ago we mustered in one of the restaruants. Each life jacket has the cabin number on it and we were greeted by name, and checked off the list.

Also there was to quote a crew member "absolutely no pictures or video in the muster area." A woman sitting at the table next to us must have thought this meant everyone on the ship EXCEPT her even after 2 warnings. She had a :eek: look on her face when one of the ship's officers took her camera away from her.

Bruce

Bruce, they thought I was my daughter though! LOL!

so ull be hot and cramped for 20 mins.. just take a lil while walking dont rush down there so u get stuck along the back wall ( like i did) w 2 rows in front of u on a hot august day... its funny all the organe vest... but hey if the boat is sinkin.. wouldnt u want to know wat to do???

So you have cruised before, and still posted the first question with which you began this thread? Sorry, but that's very hard to believe -- anyone who has already taken even one cruise knows darned well that muster drill is mandatory -- the ship closes down -- the endless PA announcements -- the crew is at the drill -- and everyone stands at the drill waiting for those few who didn't show up, until they are accounted for.

I've sailed seven different cruiselines, two of them owned by Carnival Corp (as is Princess), and on ALL of them some form of attendance was taken at muster drill -- either you reported in to a crew member and were checked off, or a crew member looked at the cabin number on your lifejacket and checked you off. So you are saying that Princess doesn't take some form of attendance at muster drill, and Princess passengers are free to blow it off? :rolleyes:

No, Princess does not take attendance at muster drill. Passengers are not supposed to "blow it off" and stewards are supposed to check the cabins. That being said, my partner, on a cruise with his sister last year onboard Emerald Princess, took a nap in the cabin during muster. :rolleyes: He's Elite and it was a "been there, done that" sorta thing I guess. Personally, I enjoy the muster. Just another opportunity to meet new folks, chuckle at the people blowing the whistles and wearing their vests before being told to put them on and the crewmember who gives the demo is usually a hoot.

Archived