Where to "Lunch" in Rome ?

benbax

Hello Everyone -

We're on the Navigator: 5/16 Monte Carlo - Athens and one of the stops is Civitavecchia for Rome.

Our excursion is "Rome on the Lighter Side" which allows us personal time to wander and have lunch in addition to some structured time.

Can anyone recommend a wonderful place to have lunch? I haven't been to Rome in over 20 years.

We're wondering if anyone has taken this excursion and has any recommendations.

Many Thanks!

Here are a few restaurants I like a lot.

Al Ceppo - Via Panama 2

Osteria Al Bric - Via del Pellegrino 51. REALLY like this place.

Grappolo D'oro Zanpano - Piazza Della Cancelleria 80

And there's always Nino's near the Spanish Steps. It's hard to find a bad meal in Rome. Enjoy.

We were near the Forum and in the Trastevere section and got lost looking for a restroom when we stumled on a restaurant called Trattoria Gioia. We had a marvelous lunch - it was not inexpensive, but the food and service were exquisite and the restrooms spotless.

Rome is a big city - you might want to let us know what part of Rome you will be in.

You might try posting this question on the "ports" boards -- someone will have great suggestions!

It really does depend where in Rome your tour drops you for your free time/lunch. All restaurants have a Tourist Menu at lunchtime, posted outside. This generally has two or three courses. Price will include service and tax but in Italy it is customary to add a little tip for the waiter.

Hi,

Following are some I like:

Otello alla Concordia, Via della Croce 81- In the Spanish Steps area

L'Orso 80- Via dell' Orso 33- near Piazza Navona

La Campana- Vicolo della Campana 18 - near Piazza Navona (they bill themselves as the oldest resturant in Rome. Very old fashion restaurant)

We were near the Forum and in the Trastevere section and got lost looking for a restroom when we stumled on a restaurant called Trattoria Gioia. We had a marvelous lunch - it was not inexpensive, but the food and service were exquisite and the restrooms spotless.

Rome is a big city - you might want to let us know what part of Rome you will be in.

unfortunately the excursion description doesn't say where they let us off - but we'll be sure to bring the list of restaurant suggestions we're getting.

Many Thanks.

You might try posting this question on the "ports" boards -- someone will have great suggestions!

It really does depend where in Rome your tour drops you for your free time/lunch. All restaurants have a Tourist Menu at lunchtime, posted outside. This generally has two or three courses. Price will include service and tax but in Italy it is customary to add a little tip for the waiter.

Great idea and many thanks for the info!

unfortunately the excursion description doesn't say where they let us off - but we'll be sure to bring the list of restaurant suggestions we're getting.

Many Thanks.

Philip, we did this exact same tour in May 2007, and they dropped us off near the Vatican. Not sure if they go the same route each time or not...?

Hello Everyone -

We're on the Navigator: 5/16 Monte Carlo - Athens and one of the stops is Civitavecchia for Rome.

Our excursion is "Rome on the Lighter Side" which allows us personal time to wander and have lunch in addition to some structured time.

Can anyone recommend a wonderful place to have lunch? I haven't been to Rome in over 20 years.

We're wondering if anyone has taken this excursion and has any recommendations.

Many Thanks!

We have been in Rome many times over the years and have only had one meal --- on our first trip at a restaurant that had been hyped in the U.S. -- touristy, not good, and over-priced (I knew we were in trouble when the waiter offered to let my wife eat with "the same fork Audrey Hepburn used!" Yeah.) Anyway, back to never a bad meal . . . . .

There are two fool-proof methods in my opinion:

1. Look for a trattoria with lots of Italians (not Americans =) hanging around and wallk in. Order the tourist menu and the house wine. Bene!

2. Get yourself to Piazza Navonna (we have taken a taxi just to get there) and eat at any sidewalk table. Then, have gelato at the gelatoria on the piazza (I don't remember it's name but someone here will -- it is a must!) Then, waddle or taxi back to wherever you are to meet for the return to the ship. We will be in Rome this August and I am already practicing my waddle =)

:DRally is so right. We too have been in Rome often and on our fist trip were taken in by Alfredo's which was touted by all the papers and magazines in the US. Stay away from the, written about, tourist traps and let your nose and eyes find a place where the locals eat. Enjoy! :):)

We spent time in Rome every summer and find the restaurants at Piazza Navona very tourist driven. Tre Scalini is known for their wonderful tartufo, but lunch at most of the restaurants is just okay.

We love the food at Pierluigi and eat there quite often They are located on Piazza de Ricci, Campo de Fiori area and are closed on Monday.

:DRally is so right. We too have been in Rome often and on our fist trip were taken in by Alfredo's which was touted by all the papers and magazines in the US. Stay away from the, written about, tourist traps and let your nose and eyes find a place where the locals eat. Enjoy! :):)

I wondered if anyone would recognize Alfredo's =) I lived in Firenze for a year as a young single man (20) and when I returned with my wife, 10 years later, she was anxious and wanted to do things I had not been able to afford back then. So . . . Alfredo's! Yes, well, the next night, we walked outside our hotel (Ciccerone, near Castel Sant'Angelo) and lo and behold, there was a trattoria with a few vespas parked on the sidewalk, so we walked in. I explained that the reason they had whole uncooked chickens laid out on the table inside the door was to show the freshness and quality of the poultry, and pointed out the serve yourself and get charged for what you eat antipasto table, so we sat down. I asked for the vino rossa della casa, which was delivered in a bottle, and we dined. Yes, the tables were set cheek by jowl (squeeze in as many tables as possible, please!) and that is the way it is. Nice folks on either side, from 5 years old to something over 80, who spoke no English but thought I was a very good fellow for attempting Italian (it had been awhile =) When we had finished the bottle of wine the waiter brought another (ever notice that table wine in Italy is not nearly as alcoholic as in the U.S.? I learned the reason for that but it is a story for another day.) So, at the end of the meal, my wife began to stress over the cost of the wine, and the fact that we had not finished the second bottle. As expected (by me) the waiter held up the unfinished second bottle, estimated how much of it we had consumed, and charged us for that amount, not the whole bottle (he probably refilled it in the kitchen =)

All in all, a great meal, new friends, and a leisurely walk back to Hotel Ciccerone.

We are meeting our daughter, son, and their young families in Rome this summer. Their first visit. They are stressing about a restaurant to celebrate my 62nd birthday, and carefully studying all the reveiws, etc. My wife just laughs and say, "don't worry, Papa will find a place, when we get there. And it will be great!"

We spent time in Rome every summer and find the restaurants at Piazza Navona very tourist driven. Tre Scalini is known for their wonderful tartufo, but lunch at most of the restaurants is just okay.

We love the food at Pierluigi and eat there quite often They are located on Piazza de Ricci, Campo de Fiori area and are closed on Monday.

Dorie,

Thank you for reminding me of Pierluigi's name! I kept trying to remember it! Yes, we also had a great dinner there. You can sit outisde, it is great!

I agree with your comments about the Piazza Navona restaurants... not very memorable. My first time in Rome I went to Tre Scalini (for the tartufo). Actually, back then both the tartufo and the food were great. I went back several other times and the tartufo was still great. In 2004 I went back for the tartufo and was disappointed in it. It wasn't the same!

Archived