Credit card safety!

Kestre

Finding cheap tickets and booking excursions puts your credit card number out to a lot of different people while booking your cruise. I wanted to give you a friendly reminder to check your credit card/online account to verify transactions. I just checked mine and discovered four charges over the last two months that were not originated from me! Two of them were from overseas, in fact. The companies were: "Disney Movie" "BMC - Double Day" "cam4fee.com" and "member-cs.com" My bank gives me a sixty day time frame to report these, sign an affidavit, and receive a credit back for the charges. I'm also getting a new credit card of course.

Don't forget to also check for any changes in airline schedules (Alaska Air switched my departure time by six hours a few weeks ago)!

That's a good reason to book directly with the cruiseline, instead of those "3rd party" agencies!

And, it doesn't just happen with travel agencies...any transaction can have "fraudulent" transactions!

Just watch your statement!

Which bank backed the credit card that you used?

I use brand name banks, and every time there has been questionable activity (a couple of times I ordered online :o ), I have had a call from the bank informing me of concern of transactions. I have received calls from Citibank, Chase, Capital One, Discover off the top of my head.

<snip> My bank gives me a sixty day time frame to report these, sign an affidavit, and receive a credit back for the charges. I'm also getting a new credit card of course.

Don't forget to also check for any changes in airline schedules (Alaska Air switched my departure time by six hours a few weeks ago)!

Your bank gives you sixty days to report fraudulent charges because that is the federal law. All credit cards are required to do this. Some credit card companies (I use Citicard and Bank of America) have excellent fraud detection units. Check your credit card issuer.

Citicard offers a service online that allows me to create a virtual account number with a specific dollar limit and time up to 12 months chosen by me. I use it for all purchases online. I can cancel the virtual account anytime online. It prevents my real credit card number from being used. It works like a normal credit card number, expiration date and security code and the merchant uses it as the same. I also have a Bank of America credit card and they offer a similar service. They both encourage their card holders to use it instead of using their real credit card numbers when shopping online or on the telephone.

Always check your airline reservations. The airlines change their schedules usually every quarter. Flight numbers, times and even destinations change. If they change your flight reservation, they will work with you to fit your plans as best as possible for free. Call their toll free number.

• 3 months later...

If your bank offers single use virtual credit card numbers such as Bank of America's ShopSafe you can use these for any excursions requiring a credit card to book in advance. If you create a shopsafe number for the amount of the transaction that prevents anyone from using that card number for anything else.

I personally would just use cash in the ports to avoid the possibility of credit card fraud.

As an employee of a bank, who actually works with the fraud department, you have no idea how many bogus transactions attempt to post to accounts....most of these are prevented and never actually are seen by customers. Credit card fraud does not only happen on vacations, it can happen in your own town when a waitress takes your debit or credit card from you and brings it to the back to be swiped.

All she needs in a moment to copy down the number, security code printed on the back and expiration date. Even when the card does not leave your sight, cases of fraud have been seen regularly at any place your card is swiped. All someone needs is a card reader (available online) some software and a palm pilot.

just watch your account, check your statement - don't recognize something? call right away, the deadline is 60 days from the time your statement is mailed....it's not alot of time. Each Bank's rules are slightly different about how the form must be filled out and signed, so contact your bank to find out what their policy is and how it must be handled.

Archived