How far is Quincy Market(Boston) from dock?

lumpkin8

We have a 1 day stop in Boston, on the Caribbean Princess in Sept, and I want to know if we can walk it from the dock? If so, is it a flat walk, or are there hills, and about how long would it take to walk?

Are there any other sites within walking distance of docking?

Thanks.

Boston is a very small city and most parts are pretty walkable but according to Google it's a 3 mile walk. If you look at Black Falcon Pier you will see that there really is not much right at the pier, still a working fishing boat pier.

Not sure what you are looking for in terms of Quincy Market? The market itself is mostly chain stores although Fanueil Hall is a huge food court and around the permiter of the market are some street performers.

If you only have one day I would recommend lunch at the No Name restaurant if you want fish and then a quick taxi cab ride to the North End for a cannoli!

Some interesting and inexpensive things to do: walk the Freedom Trail (or at least part of it) as it takes you around the city and points out places of historical interest. Included on this tour is Paul Revere's house and the Old North Church (one if by land fame), the Old Granary buriel ground where many historical figures are buried including Mother Goose.

Next to the cemetary is the Boston Common, this was originally a cow pasture and is 50 acres of land in the middle of the city. You will be able to see the Statehouse from the Common, just up the hill in what is known as Beacon Hill. On the other side of the Common is the Public Garden and the famous brownstones. Here is where you will find the Bull & Finch pub which was the inspiration for the Cheers television show.

Wear comfortable shoes as there are lots of cobblestone walkways and they are killers if you aren't careful. Lots of uneven stones.

A good resource is CityofBoston.gov

Edited by AuntieBon

For $2/pp you can easily take the "T" to anywhere in downtown Boston, walk around as much as you want, and take the "T" back to the Black Falcon pier. I don't advise walking in South Boston - it's a boring area with long blocks and a waste of the short amount of time you have in port.

Quincy Market does have a lot of chain stores, but it is a quaint setting with some unique stores and lots of food choices. It's worth a look if you're at that end of town or walking to the North End. http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/

• 1 month later...

I agree with 138East, Quincy market is still worth checking out. Although there are a number of chain stores, they also have unique shops and restaurants, like Durgin Park (one of the oldest in the city). Make sure you visit Faneuil Hall as well. It was built in 1742 and hosted many meetings leading up to the American Revolution. On the third floor is a free museum dedicated to the Ancient & Honorably Artillery Company, the oldest organized militia in the US, dating back to the 1600's!

It is centrally located and an easy walk to the North End or Boston Common. If you plan on walking the Freedom Trail you'll want to remember that it is 2.5 miles one way (5 miles round trip). There are 16 historic sites along the way, some are free and some charge admission.

If you plan on exploring on foot, I'd suggest taking the T (subway) or taxi to Quincy Market and walk from there. Save your walking for the scenic areas, not the seaport.

Here's the Freedom Trail map from their website. http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/maps/pdfs/boston-nps-map.pdf

And the National Park site http://www.nps.gov/bost/planyourvisit/index.htm

There is one visitor's center in Boston Common (city of Boston) and the other (NPS) by State and Congress across from the Old State House. And still another over by the Constitution.

Here are the directions from Black Falcon to Boston Common. For $2/pp you take the Silver Line bus from the Black Falcon Terminal to South Station. At South Station you walk all the way to the right on the platform and go up 1 flight to the Red Line - direction Alewife. Take any train two stops to Park Street, which is at the Boston Common. It is a short walk to the Visitor Center at the beginning of the trail.

There is also a "T" option for going from Long Wharf at the Aquarium over to the Constitution if you don't feel like walking it. http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/boats/lines/?route=F4

Boston is a very small city and most parts are pretty walkable but according to Google it's a 3 mile walk. If you look at Black Falcon Pier you will see that there really is not much right at the pier, still a working fishing boat pier.

Not sure what you are looking for in terms of Quincy Market? The market itself is mostly chain stores although Fanueil Hall is a huge food court and around the permiter of the market are some street performers.

If you only have one day I would recommend lunch at the No Name restaurant if you want fish and then a quick taxi cab ride to the North End for a cannoli!

i so do not agree with the above poster. i am from Boston and love going here for lunch. there are excellent sit down palces for lunch but the real fun is the food court which has freid clams, clam chower among places. lots of vnedors selliung cool stuff. everytime i go back i spend time here.

Edited by ellbon

i so do not agree with the above poster. i am from Boston and love going here for lunch. there are excellent sit down palces for lunch but the real fun is the food court which has freid clams, clam chower among places. lots of vnedors selliung cool stuff. everytime i go back i spend time here.

If you notice I didn't say anything about the market itself just that the stores around Quincy Market have unfortunately gone too "mall like" for me. I do like the food court and the non chain restaurants. After awhile they are all been there done that.

I need to correct my "T" directions in Boston, having schlepped in there today. If you take the Silver Line to South Station, you must go DOWN one flight of stairs at the right end of the Platform.

I think it is too far to walk, take the T as others have said.

I still like walking around faneuil hall/ quincy market area. There are some chain stores :( but there are still lots of cute stores to check out. Also, what might be chain stores in our area might not be in your area!

The food court is good even if you just walk through it.

take the walk over to the north end, great food, go to Mikes Pastry on Hanover street-awesome pastries.

If you have never been, I certainly think a visit to Quincy Market is in order. As mentioned Durgin Park is there and is probably one of the oldest restaurants in the country as well as just the atmosphere. It can be fun. Yes, there is a Hard Rock there as well as some named stores you will recognize, but there are also vendor kiosks with some unique items and then you can say you have been there. Boston Common is about a 10 min walk or so and then you could go for a swan boat ride in the Public Gardens.

I need to correct my "T" directions in Boston, having schlepped in there today. If you take the Silver Line to South Station, you must go DOWN one flight of stairs at the right end of the Platform.

Have been reading all the info on Boston. I am still a little confused. Let me get this straight ships dock at Black Falcon pier or is there another pier? Then as suggested we should take a taxi into Boston's Faneuil Hall. Another option would be taking the T(Silver Line Bus) to South Station, then transfer to the Red Line. This should bring us near the Boston Commons. This is near the start of the Fredom Trail. Am I correct?

They start the tour at either the Museum of Science or the Prudential Center. Check out their site, as it takes you all over and gives you a fun and quick history of the town. I grew up in Burlington, Massachusetts and have lived in San Diego for 30 years. Boston is still home and a great city! I met 8 girlfriends in Boston 2 yrs. ago for 5 days and we started our first full day at Charlie's Sandwich Shop (my cousin's restaurant on Columbus Avenue) and then the Duck Tour from the Prudential Center. It was well worth the $ and a lot of fun! It gives a good overview of the city with interesting tidbits.

Quote on their website - "You've never toured Boston in anything that comes close to this tour. The fun begins as soon as you board your "DUCK," an authentic World War II amphibious landing vehicle, renovated for sightseeing. First, you'll be greeted by one of the legendary tour ConDUCKtors, who'll be narrating the tour. Then you're off on a journey like you've never had before. You'll cruise by all the places that make Boston the birthplace of freedom and a city of firsts! View such sights as the golden-domed State House to Bunker Hill and the TD Banknorth Garden, Boston Common and Copley Square to the Big Dig, Government Center to fashionable Newbury Street, Quincy Market to the Prudential Tower, and more. As the best of Boston unfolds before your eyes, your ConDUCKtor will be giving lots of little known facts and interesting insights about the unique and wonderful city of Boston."

Here is their website:

http://www.bostontours.us/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=334

Yes, Quincy Market is a must and well worth your time. Legal Seafood, a 10 minute walk away, is a terrific place for fish, but a little pricey. Union Oyster House (around the corner from Quincy Market) has the best clam chowdah and is the oldest restaurant in the country!

Enjoy Beantown. There's so much to see and never enough time - a Sox game, a swan boat ride, a Sam Adams beer in the restaurant right across from his burial site, a slice of Boston cream pie at the Parker House, a slice of Regina pizza, fried clams, lobstah...I'm getting homesick and hungry. Have a fun time!

Have been reading all the info on Boston. I am still a little confused. Let me get this straight ships dock at Black Falcon pier or is there another pier? Then as suggested we should take a taxi into Boston's Faneuil Hall. Another option would be taking the T(Silver Line Bus) to South Station, then transfer to the Red Line. This should bring us near the Boston Commons. This is near the start of the Freedom Trail. Am I correct?

There is only one pier - Black Falcon. There are usually 3 ways to get to Faneuil Hall - the T, taxi, or cruise transfers. A taxi ride will be about $16 each way. Cruise transfers (if they are offered) may be about $12-14/pp round trip. The T is $2/pp for each ride including continuous transfers. You can take the Silver Line and Red Line to Park St, which is at the Boston Common and near the start of the Freedom Trail (http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/). From there you can follow the Freedom Trail through downtown Boston to Faneuil Hall (10 minute walk) or at Park St. you can can transfer to the Green Line direction Lechmere to either Government Center or Haymarket to get to Faneuil Hall. If you are wandering around Boston all day, I think it makes sense to start out on the T. When you decide to come back, you can see where you are and either take the T back to the pier or a cab.

Let us know what your vision for your day in Boston is. For example, the T runs a water taxi from Long Wharf (Aquarium) to the Constitution and back for $2/pp each way. There is also a Harbor walkway that extends along the waterfront. The walk between Long Wharf and the South Station area (Northern Ave) is particularly nice, but the walk from Northern Ave to Black Falcon is not as nice.

...Union Oyster House (around the corner from Quincy Market) has the best clam chowdah and is the oldest restaurant in the country!

Right! However, it is a very popular lunch spot for office workers in the area (Government Center), so plan on a late lunch if you're there on a working day.

Regarding the "T", in addition to the $2 normal fares, they also offer several "Charlie Cards" including one, which I assume still exists, that allows unlimited rides all day. Cards are available from vending machines at subway stations. Check the MBTA website for more information on routes, schedules and fares.

A couple of years ago I offered to buy a drink for the first person to tell me why they are called "Charlie Cards". Somebody answered within minutes, but I still owe him the drink as our paths haven't crossed on a cruise. Not repeating the offer - too many New Englanders know the answer.

If you only have a day in Boston, I think the Duck tours and the Freedom Trail offer the best opportunity to see as much as possible.

There is only one pier - Black Falcon.

Let us know what your vision for your day in Boston is. For example, the T runs a water taxi from Long Wharf (Aquarium) to the Constitution and back for $2/pp each way. There is also a Harbor walkway that extends along the waterfront. The walk between Long Wharf and the South Station area (Northern Ave) is particularly nice, but the walk from Northern Ave to Black Falcon is not as nice.

How far is the Long Wharf (Aquarium) to where the ship is docked? Can we start the Freedom Trail from the Constitution? All your recommendations are welcome. Thanks for all your input.

Edited by sailaway5

The aquarium is one of the more annoying locations to get to on the T from the cruise pier because it requires taking 4 trains. However, all the downtown stations are close together. You might enjoy the Boston Harborwalk from the South Station area to the Aquarium - about 10-15 minutes if you don't dawdle. http://www.bostonharborwalk.com/placestogo/

You can start the Freedom Trail anywhere you like and walk as much of it as you like. If you want to start at the Constitution and come back into downtown, you could take the Silver Line to South Station, change to the Red Line direction Alewife and go 1 stop to Downtown Crossing (get on the very front car of the train), and change to the Orange Line direction Oak Grove and go to Community College. From there you can walk over to Bunker Hill to start the Freedom Trail or go directly to the Constitution.

I agree that is too long a walk from Black Falcon to Quincy Marketplace/Faneuil Hall.

I would go the Charlie Card Route & take the T. (subway)

The Silver line picks right up at the pier & runs quite frequently, take the bus to South Station. From here you can get anywhere.

The best way to see Boston in a short amount of time is The DuckTours. Check out their website. It is about a 90 minute tour.

If time remains, go back & check out some of the locations that seemed of interest to you.

example: get off at Prudential Center (end of DuckTour), walk down Newbury St, take right on Dartmouth, left on Boylston. See Trinity Church & John Hancock Bldg in Copley Sq. Continue walking to Boston Gardens/Common. Walk over the smallest suspension bridge in the world to the swan boats. Follow the red line of The Freedom Trail. Follow along Tremont St, pass Park St Church, burial grounds & Kings Chapel. Next go to Government Center. (NOTE: City Hall was inspired by the back of an upside down penny), continue following red line, see the Halocaust Memorial, Ye Olde Union Oyster House.. ( have a bite to eat & request John F Kennedy's favorite booth.)..Check out Faneuil Hall & Quincy Market...Continue into the Notrh End. If still hungry, plenty of places to choose from on Hanover St. Pizza at Galleria Umberto, across the street have dessert at Mike's Pastry, next door cappucino at Caffe Vittoria. Then head back to the ship & soak your feet in the hot tub.

The Charlie card was named after a man named Charlie, he didn't have enough money to get off his trolley & he still rides the Green today. Catch it on you tube. The Kingston Trio/Charlie on the MTA.

Hope this helps.:p

Good suggestions, dblonde. Think I'll print it out to use next time I'm showing some out-of-town visitors around Boston.

One small point that can be confusing to out-of-towners: Although the Silver Line is identified by color, as are all Boston subway lines, it's not actually a train, but large articulated buses, silver in color, that run on streets and in a few tunnels.

The various posts about the "T" may sound a little confusing, but it is really one of the easiest US subway systems to find your way around.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Doesn't Boston have a HoHo trolley system? Is that something that would be recommended for a day of sight-seeing?

Whoops... I see there is another thread that discusses the Boston trolley. Sorry.. didn't mean to duplicate another thread.