Blame your travel agent!

seashore

No. I do a reasonable amount of research and ask on CC to get opinions and such. At that point, I figure I am responsible for what happens after I board the ship. Blaming the TA is getting around the fact that I did not care enough to do any research on my own -- and I got what I deserved. Buying a cruise isn't the same as asking someone to pick me up an apple pie while they're at the store; this is a big deal and I can't expect my TA to know my every expectation.

An agent works for you- if you did not get what you thought you were getting that blame is yours-- As far as activities and stuff--that has nothing to do with an agent- all they are responsible for is selling you a certain cabin- making sure it fits your needs.

We had a great relationship with our TA. She suggested ships and itineraries, steered us in the right direction, and looked out for deals.

When we first started booking cruises in 1989, getting info on our own wasn't as easy as it is now. We relied on her a lot. In the past few years, we've done more of our own research and had specific things in mind when calling her. She was still helpful in getting us an upgrade more than once. Unfortunately, she retired last year.

We booked our next cruise through an Internet TA. So far, I'm pleased with his services--and thrilled with the price--but we haven't taken the cruise yet.

I think we have to realise that not everyone has access to the Internet, some passengers have never travelled further than the next town before. These people rely on their agent.

A GOOD agent will ask "Do you like to dress up" "What sort of thing do you like to do" and very importantly "Do you like to eat at a set time, and share a table "

On a trip to Alaska on a "luxury line" known for its "up scale style" two of the people at the table had packed only jeans,sweat shirts and anoraks to wear, they only ever eat in "diners" and every night they ordered, "Beef (in some form), French fries or mashed potatoes", followed by vanilla icecream. On Formal /Semi formal nights they stayed intheir cabin and ate Room Service sandwiches.because they had no clothes to wear

On the last night, they asked "why are you giving them envelopes" when it was explained about "tipping" they announced they were not going to tip, the cruise had been lousy, there was nothing to do (the ship had a no announcements policy) and

that they would never cruise again

Their local agent in their small town booked them on the wrong type of ship, given their lack of experience I think she was to blame . She thought more of her commission than of her clients.

A GOOD agent will ask "Do you like to dress up" "What sort of thing do you like to do" and very importantly "Do you like to eat at a set time, and share a table "
AND will know what to recommend based on the answers to those questions!

Their local agent in their small town booked them on the wrong type of ship, given their lack of experience I think she was to blame . She thought more of her commission than of her clients.
And how do we get travel agents to stop performing such disservice?

IMHO, the problem is NOT the TA's, it's US and society as a whole. We have the mentality of shop, shop, shop... shop around and get the rock bottom price, but then once you get the rock bottom price, you want top level service as well... In my opinion you are going to have to pay a little more to get it all... Some agencies cut out alot of their commissions and rely on volume, well, if they are moving more volume (by making your cruise cheaper), then it stands to reason that they are not going to have as much time to devote to you. I own a business that is in high competition with your Best Buys, CDW's and Comp USA's of the world... our pricing is generally higher, and we don't even try to compete. We don't want customers that are strictly driven by price. Our customers are willing to pay a little extra to have the customer service experience that we provide. They get a live person when they call, someone who will take the time to help them and make the best recommendations for their particular needs. Margins are slim enough, if we cut everything down, we could not afford to offer this service, we would lose money. Bottom line is that if you are searching for the rock bottom cheapest price, you may pay for it on the customer service side.... cheapest does not always equate to "best"... IMO.

IMHO, the problem is NOT the TA's, it's US and society as a whole. We have the mentality of shop, shop, shop... shop around and get the rock bottom price, but then once you get the rock bottom price, you want top level service as well... In my opinion you are going to have to pay a little more to get it all...
You've said a mouthful there... worthy of repeating it! The more we-the-people push suppliers to cut price, the more they'll cut service to match.

imo if you end up on the wrong cruise its your fault--- all the ta can do is reccommend its up to you to make the final determination.

its kind of like some of the posting we see where someone wants the board to tell them where to do on a cruise and they provide no insight as to what they actually want to see do or go

AND will know what to recommend based on the answers to those questions!

And how do we get travel agents to stop performing such disservice?

That is easy Bicker! A lot of my business is word of mouth. If someone is happy with something, they tell someone. If someone is unhappy with something, they tell 10 people.

TA's who are not familiar with the product they sell will not be around for very long. It is all about customer service and product knowledge. I can remember doing a ship inspection a few years back of the NCL Norway. Some TA send a large group of handicapped people in wheelchairs on the ship. There were may areas that they could not get to and others they had to take long way around to get there. In the hour and a half I spent aboard, I heard a lot of grumbling.

I just doesn't seem to have happened, Joe. While good TAs do get a lot of repeat business and business from word-of-mouth, bad TAs seem to get a lot of new business all the time, as many purchasers maniacally seek ever-lower rates and fares, jumping from one unsatisfying TA to another unsatifying TA, making their decisions primarily based on price.

I just doesn't seem to have happened, Joe. While good TAs do get a lot of repeat business and business from word-of-mouth, bad TAs seem to get a lot of new business all the time, as many purchasers maniacally seek ever-lower rates and fares, jumping from one unsatisfying TA to another unsatifying TA, making their decisions primarily based on price.

But we even see it right here. There are always people complaining about one thing or another. Not everyone is price driven. There are people out there who are willing to pay a little more to receive good service. When I talk to "shoppers", people who are calling every TA in the Yellow Pages and one of them tells me that someone 30 miles away gave them a price $10 less than me, I tell them to book it with them. A good TA's client's know what the TA does for them and the value they offer. I really don't want the person who is going to nickel and dime a vacation to death and have even "fired" clients.

There used to be a TA in the next town over. We were constantly having people come in with horror stories of how they were treated. The other TA's poor service was a boon for us. That same TA closed up and relocated three town away. We are now seeing an influx of business from that town.

I have just had a problem with a local TA (she was the Supervisor of the office) A few weeks ago I tried to book a segment of 2006 Cunard World cruise with her, she kept claiming "difficulties" and then said "they will not accept bookings until after Jan 2005)

My research showed this info to be incorrect, so went with another agent , who in 30 mins had everything arranged. First agent very upset.

Yesterday (Sunday) I decided to also book QE2 for 12 day cruise May 2 2005 for the Med. the first agent did not work, so did some checking with Cunard myself re prices, availibilty, air , pre cruise hotel . Left voice mail with first TA giving her all details and asking her to make reservation and to phone me ASAP this a.m. This would give her a second chance to regain my "good will"

First call, she claimed "They are having problems, willl get back to you later" second call "I have a cabin but it is not the cat you asked for (more money)"

Third call "got cabin cat sorted out, price is $2799, but they do not fly from SWF,only from Tampa, did not book hotel as I am not sure if they will do just one night single"

Price in brochure was $2199, air was from SWF and the hotel price for first night single was $410"

I told her all this only to get, "I do not know where you got the figures from, I have just got off the phone with Cunard"

Well I got on the phone myself to Cunard, and everything (price, airport hotel etc ) was just as I said it should be, so I made the booking inc. ins. direct with Cunard.

Got back to TA and informed her of my phone call and actions, she just informed me "I would have corrected it if you had given me time"!!!!!

I will not give this TA third chance, this experience proves that if I had been a first time cruiser I would have overpaid on cabin, ($600) air and travel to her airport ($200 instead of $90) and as for hotel, well that is anyones guess.

Sorry but I think she should have got it right the first time not expect me to give her correct information, so she could "get it right" She is not a novice, the office is part of a much bigger group, she just does not pay attention

Blaming the TA is getting around the fact that I did not care enough to do any research on my own -- and I got what I deserved. Buying a cruise isn't the same as asking someone to pick me up an apple pie while they're at the store; this is a big deal and I can't expect my TA to know my every expectation.

Plus, if you don't ask the questions, they won't know what information you need. You can't expect an agent to be presumpuous and say that one cruise line might be too formal, the other too casual for you. It's up to you to participate in the process and allow your agent to make suggestions based on the information you willingly provide. No one in the service industry is a mind reader. For every instance of someone saying, "They should have told me," my answer is, "You should have asked."

But we even see it right here.
Anecdotes, sure, but anecdotes don't really provide much insight into the actual market environment. Many purchasers make their decisions primarily based on price, and that will significantly drive the sector.

My experience had nothing to do with price, or discounts, I was paying the cruise lines stated price.

The agent even when given full facts, cat, air ,price , hotel etc and that I had spoken with Cunard just hours before, still could not be bothered to get it right. Truth is she just wanted to "click on" , believe she tried to do everything with her "machine" , remember GIGO, (garbage in ,garbage out). Even when told she had "got it wrong" she expected me to tell her the correct answers so she could "get it right"

Somone posted that the TA works for the passenger, I just wish that someone would tell my local TA that .She seems to be of the opinion that the passenger should do all the work so she can collect her commission .

So I am voting with my feet. this agency will not get any future bookings from me.

Archived