Trivia-Fun or Cut Throat

Penguins Lover

They only time I saw trivia get ugly was during battle of the sexes. We were up convincingly(it was the last day) an they sat there as a group and yelled at the staff member. After a few minutes of watching her get abused, I stood up and yelled back at the ladies. After the event, I walked in and appologized to the staff member. I just couldn't take seeing her abused over a question she was right about and one that was not going to affect the outcome of the game. You get them every now and then. I'm sure some of the women came off the cruise complaining about me. But hey the staff doesn't deserve it and I hate seeing a crew member getting abused for doing her job.

When we cruised B2B a few years ago we, as well as others, made it apoint to tell the Act. Staff when they started a trivia we had had on the previous cruise. It was appreciated by all, and we enjoyed playing more. There are wrong answers on the sheets and there are those who argue about it. Ignore the bother and enjoy the game!

BTW, the best trivia cruise, EVER, was on Zenith in 2003. That group of cruisers was the best during the games. (Not to say others cruisers have not been.) We are traveling with another couple so we will have our foursome made up in advance.

I think the problem is that many people play trivia on a ship thinking that it is comparable to playing jeopardy and don't expect to find out that a person can get credit for a wrong answer and not get credit for a correct one because the determining factor is an answer sheet that has a lot of mistakes on it. Since it is only obvious that there is a mistake on the answer sheet when someone playing the game is an expert on the subject matter in question, there are probably a lot more mistakes on them than most people realize. The funniest part of trivia at sea is that some people do very well because they play it so often that they keep giving the same wrong answers that the answer sheet has. The music trivia games do not have this problem because the person giving the quiz knows the real answers.

Yes, it would be nice if Alex Trebek and his team of researchers were available to confirm answers.

Just for curiosity, since I had my notebook and I had free internet access while in Hawaiian ports, I checked a few questions that I remembered people questioning. They were correct or at least also correct.

It's sort of like football without instant reply, if the ref blows a call, oh well! (sometimes blown calls go in your favor ;))

We were on a B2B on Carnival and we kicked butt on a cumulative trivia game. We won all kinds of nice stuff at the end of the week. We were bummed, because the next week the questions were exactly the same. Of course we didn't play. What fun would that be?

How about Floridians?

The Caribbean cruises are lousey with them... in numbers and players.

All Florida residents are welcomed as they are lousey current trivia players.

Usually their hearing aids don't work well so they miss a part of the question.

When you hit the med then things reverse. Or is that cruises in Australia and New Zealand.

They only time I saw trivia get ugly was during battle of the sexes. We were up convincingly(it was the last day) an they sat there as a group and yelled at the staff member. After a few minutes of watching her get abused, I stood up and yelled back at the ladies. After the event, I walked in and appologized to the staff member. I just couldn't take seeing her abused over a question she was right about and one that was not going to affect the outcome of the game. You get them every now and then. I'm sure some of the women came off the cruise complaining about me. But hey the staff doesn't deserve it and I hate seeing a crew member getting abused for doing her job.

Same thing on my Solstice cruise.....

Once the women got behind and could not win on the last day......

Kill the host..........

Complain that they thought I could see the questions the host was asking...... Even with my glasses on.

Argue about points from the first day...........

They could not complain about me as mens captain.

I just put up a C A U T I O N yellow tape to keep the teams seperate.

Hello this is fun....

Being Captain of the trivia team is keeping your team having fun, not picking on the other team (no matter the answer), getting all involved.

Arguing some points of questions or the puff questions given the women....

Thanking the game host every day.

Just for curiosity, since I had my notebook and I had free internet access while in Hawaiian ports, I checked a few questions that I remembered people questioning. They were correct or at least also correct.

It's sort of like football without instant reply, if the ref blows a call, oh well! (sometimes blown calls go in your favor ;))

The home office sends in most of the questions.

Some hosts create their own questions out of books and using trivial persuit cards.

That was fun - picking 3 cards for the opposite team and getting the grief for it.

We love trivia & play it on as much as possible on every cruise. We have played with & against some people who think that they know all the answers & thus take it much too seriously. Our favorite moderators are the ones who in the beginning of the cruise tell all that their answer is the only right answer, whether it is actually right or wrong. Often the answers are from "Trivial Pursuit", which has many answers which are at best, ambiguous.

Our favorite trivia was on the "Battle of the Sexes" on the final Zenith cruise. Tuggars was the Captain of the woman's team & I was the Captain of the men's team, & the men lost on the final day due to a challenge by the women, which was upheld by the moderator. From some of the reactions of my teammates you would have thought the world had ended! Suffice it to say that I will never captain a team again!!!....but for the rest of the week we had a fantastic time.

In short, we love Trivia competition, but do not take it to heart; after all, how many pens can you write with.

Now, if the prize was a free cruise, watch out!!!!:D

I just got off the Infinity and had a great time. The service was great and the activity staff was very good. I just wanted to know how people feel about trivia. I always go to trivia to meet people and have fun, winning is nice, but if we don't win it is not the end of the world. There was a man on board who had words with fellow passengers because he always wanted to be right. One day we were correcting our answers and this passenger wanted the answer to be James Bond, but the song was from Goldfinger and the staff member said either one, the passenger got angry and the other passenger said mark it wrong, it is only for fun and a pen and he pointed right at her and said it is not about the pen, but about being right. He was real angry. I am just curious, are these events more than being fun because I do not want to insult anyone in the future if most people view it as more?

We just got off of the Infinity on Sunday April 12. We went to ONE trivia game, after that we never went again. The same man was there and he made the whole game not fun at all. And we were really looking forward to playing. Sad that some people feel the need to ruin it for all others. Other than that, it was a great time!

Laura

Also just got off the Infinity April 12th. After our balcony neighbors shared their experience at Trivia that day, we decided not to even bother going. Although we did laugh that grown-ups could act so silly.

It's a shame that some people don't realize the affect their actions can have on others.

Not to worry, there was plenty to keep you busy on that cruise. It was great and the people I met and interacted with were the best.

Nancy

November/December 2008 issue of Cruise Travel magazine has article on page 36 entitled "Trivia Matters" subtiled "Games at sea can create cutthroat competition". On recent cruise Cruise Director would do a quick trivia before Bingo and give out tickets for Future drawing. This one man came and sat right in middle of theatre in 1st or 2nd row and wouldleave after the trivia. Cruise director asked what "Veni, Vedi, Vici" meant and some lady gave correct answer and Cruise Director said she was wrong. Man in middle said it was Olympic Motto. Yours truly went bisserk and the Cruise Director who was a lawyer(as was man in middle) came over and I told him Olympic Motto was "Citius, altius, Fortius". The Cruise Director refered to me as "Mr. Latin". I got a ticket, so did first lady responder and so did man in middle. So sometimes it is about being right. No I am not a Lawyer.

I think what some people on this board have more fun doing than counting burned out lightbulbs is making fun of lawyers. Why is this always necessary? My husband happens to be one, and I hope that when your mother needs to get on medicaid so that their nursing home care is paid for, and gets her a room there to boot, you ask your fellow cruisers to help out, rather than one of the professionals who know what they are doing. Not all lawyers are the bad ones who everyone seems to feel compelled to complain about. Did you know, by the way, that there are more lawyers as Jeopardy contestants than anything else?

Actually, my husband, the lawyer, loves to play trivia. I can thank him for our collection of navy and white mugs compliments of NCL and HAL trivia games. Celebrity never gives away anything that great. I don't think we've gotten pens though.

We were on the Infinity March 15th cruise and really enjoyed trivia with Ryan and Matt. I agree some people are very competitive about it. Our tablemates talked us into going and we had great fun....mostly cause we'd laugh at ourselves not knowing the answer and making up something ridiculous. Or, when we did have an answer one of our teammates would say it out loud....oh well......all in fun! Some of the other teams were way too serious about it.

• 4 weeks later...

We recently returned from a Celebrity cruise and we were amazed by how nasty some people get during trivia. We found that one guy, who's very well known by the crew as he's a very frequent cruiser, keeps all his answer sheets from previous cruises in a binder, and brings them to every trivia game. Sheesh, is it that important to win a pen that you have to cheat that way? We stopped going to trivia because of this guy. So OP, I can understand your questions. I feel sorry for anyone who has to take their trivia GAMES so seriously.

All I have to say is that people are from all walks of life and it is not one profession over another. Trivia is just for fun and for an opportunity to meet new people. One or last cruise we met Carol and her husband and it made the whole trivia more enjoyable.

Hey, I know that guy who has the loose leaf binder with all the answers from previous trivia games. It got so bad on one of our Constellation cruises that hardly any people showed up for trivia. People even stopped going to Name That Tune trivia.

My wife and I cleaned house on the country music Name That Tune...

The lady who came is second ( like 9 points behind us!) is the one who "graded" our paper...

After the scores were announced she (jokingly....I hope) turned around, pointed at me and said 'You're a disc jockey, aren't you!!!"....

I told her I was a DJ at the largest country music station in Portland Oregon.

She replied "I Knew It!"....Only a DJ could beat me!".......

I didn't have the heart to tell her I work for a bank.....I left her thinking she got took!.....

My wife and I cleaned house on the country music Name That Tune...

The lady who came is second ( like 9 points behind us!) is the one who "graded" our paper...

After the scores were announced she (jokingly....I hope) turned around, pointed at me and said 'You're a disc jockey, aren't you!!!"....

I told her I was a DJ at the largest country music station in Portland Oregon.

She replied "I Knew It!"....Only a DJ could beat me!".......

I didn't have the heart to tell her I work for a bank.....I left her thinking she got took!.....

Now, that is REALLY funny !!!!!

Sheesh, is it that important to win a pen that you have to cheat that way? .

No, it's not about winning a pen. It's about a compelling need to feel superior in order to satisfy a shaky ego. At least that is my perception of these overly competitive people who behave boorishly. However, I enjoy these kinds of games and refuse to allow "them" to ruin it for me.

WE love the trivia for its entertainment value , on a cruise last year a gentleman queried everything and on the first day made it clear he was highly competitive the staff members had met him before and they all made an announcement on the 2nd day that the answer sheet was final , we became friends with his team and had a very enjoyable week and he still e mails us with his quiz league questions [which are completly out of our league !!! } We teamed up with an Australian lady married to a Norwegian and a Kiwi , we are meeting up with the Australians next year and doing the transatlantic together on the Equinox so more Triva . :)

Archived