Help me choose a cruise

aberfiprep21

Which cruise  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise

• Carnival- Miami, cozumel and key west
    • Carnival- Tampa, cozumel and grand cayman
    • RCL- key west, cozumel, and costa maya ( on small ship)

Looking for a cruise to take the girlfriend on in may. I have narrowed it down to three choices.

4 day western caribbean- departing from miami going to key west and

cozumel, on carnival and has one day a sea

*on the fascination

5 day western caribbean-departing from tampa going to grand cayman and

cozumel, on carnival and has two total days a sea

*on the inspiration

or

5 day western caribbean-departing from ft. lauderdale going to key west,

cozumel, and costa maya, on RCL and has one day at sea

* on the empress of the seas (RCLs smallest ship)

Keep in mind-

ive never cruised, she has.

Scared of getting seasick (problem with the rcl ship-love the itinerary scared of the small old ship).

Graduation present so she cant help pick

We are 22, and 23

I am big for surprises too, but I think this is a category where I would bring her in on the deal. For the money and time that will be invested (even in a short 4-nighter), her tastes and past cruise experience - will be VERY valuable.

And for so many (all of us reading/writing to this board today) love 'thinking' about cruising, as much as the trip itself.

Here is what "I" would do (placing myself under public scrutiny)...Invite her for a 'special' evening, whatever yall define as special. Dress up, dine in, etc. Then with a romantic, candle burning flare - hand her a fancy wrapped package. The size that a bracelet or watch would come in. "What is this? Fancy diamond bracelet?" No, as she opens it, she finds only a yellow highlighter. "What the..." she might say.

Then dump out a big pile of cruise brochures, postcards, pictures, website printouts, etc - and invite her to spend the week with you on the open sea. You spend the rest (or almost the rest of) the evening pouring thru the choices, the beach photos, the possible moments you may share upon the dance floor, the jestski rental.......highlighting the top choices.

At least, that is how I would go about it.

You will end up with something you both agree on, you will learn about each other while you talk and decide, and the part that will make more sense when you are older....is that the vacation and even the preparation of a vacation, is not about a 'gift' to someone....but a chance to 'share time' with someone.

Gushy mode now off. Smooth sailing!

I am big for surprises too, but I think this is a category where I would bring her in on the deal. For the money and time that will be invested (even in a short 4-nighter), her tastes and past cruise experience - will be VERY valuable.

To me that sounds like a great idea, but honestly it wouldnt get me anywhere. I have tried to sit down at a romantic evening and plan a trip, but all i get is IDK and i dont care its up to you. Shes very easy going, and doesnt like to make decisions. Plus yeah its a surprise, but its for a college graduation. Shes worked so hard I just want to reward her, but surprise her at the same time. Honestly I know which cruise I want to take, but being that it is a 7 day im very hesitant. I get motion sickness with everything, so i want to "test" the waters out with a short 4-5 day to see if i like it enough. Thanks for the suggestion tho, i might try again to get her to help in a way that wouldnt give up what im planning.

Host Terry-what exactly is a tender port? sorry but i am a newbie, and very unfamiliar with cruise terminalogy

you mqy be worried about getting seasick needlessley- Do you get motion sick while driving cars?? how about on roller coasters?

A quick way to determine is doing a per day cost- what do you get the most for your money?

The wog-Thanks for that bit of info...clears things up a lot :)

Serene-Yea I get sick in cars, when driving on curvy roads. Rollercosters, well it depends on how many loops. To many and im done for the day..

Ill try the cost per day thing....thanks

SInce you do get motion sickness. Pick a cabin low on the ship and stay midship. Buy some sea bands- bands you wear on your wrists that use accupressure to ward off seasickness. On shorter cruises when you get home you will feel movement then also...

I think the 5 day starting from Tampa is the best -- mostly b/c of the ports of call. I am 32 and started cruising in my late 20's. Key West is fun, but not as exotic as Grand Cayman. You will have a blast there -- make sure you do the swimming with sting rays! Cozumel – oh my! If you get on a ship that you don’t think will have great night life – Cozumel will more than make up for that. It can get crazy there (but safe and fun crazy). I think of the ones you mentioned these are the ports someone your age will enjoy most.

I think a gift is an awesome idea. Pick out the cruise and then let her plan the rest with you (there is lots of planning once the cruise is purchased). My best advice -- avoid Key West and Nassau if possible. Nassau just doesn't offer much to do (in my opinion), and Key West is just Key West -- nice, but also somewhere you can go anytime. I know not all of these are among your options, but in case you end up looking further...

I also get sea sick and found that the size of the ship, location of the cabin, time of the year, temperature, etc., did not change my symptoms. They were the same on all the ships. It is a fact of life for me and I simply take the required medication and it rarely bothers me.

Also -- which cruise line you chose in somewhat important and somewhat not important at all. Don't worry about the young and old designations for different cruise lines. I cruised twice on Holland American and loved it both times even though it is supposed to cater to an older crowd. Everyone on the board has their own opinion and many will be in complete contrast to one another. It is important to remember that a cruise is what you make of it. A first time cruiser is almost never disappointed! Have a great time!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Remember that the Grand Caymen Port is a tender port!

Also remember that Grand Cayman was devastated 3 months ago by the hurricane so, although they are rebuilding as fast as they can, much of the island is still a mess.

Carnival seems to be getting better, and I think I like big ships better, too.

BUT Cozumel is FAB, my mom said Key West is just one big party, and we really liked the ruins at Costa Maya. Plus I think you will enjoy a sea day to lounge at the pool.

I used a patch the whole trip and was good to go. Bonine/dramamine is good for some (not me), and I have heard the bands are good (will get them for my kids for our Disney cruise).

Whatever cruise you choose, you will have a blast. The shorter Caribbean cruises are known for having younger crowds. DH is 42, I'm 38 and we had a BLAST on our 7 day Western on Star Princess in Oct. Two couples at our table were on honeymoons--all in their 20s. This and the couple in their 50s at our table--well, we had the BEST time. Drinks, laughter and conversation flowed nightly. We gambled, danced and partied late each night (all of us!).

Happy cruising!

Kristin

• 1 month later...

Need help choosing a cruise ship. Going to western or eastern carribean in March. I'm taking my girlfriend. we are 25-32. We don't want an older cruise, or a big family cruise-like Disney. Any thoughts? please help

I would go with Tampa / Inspiration.

I took that Cruise in Decemeber with my wife (both 49) and our kids (daughter 22, son 20). We had a blast!

Good value. Good Ship. Good introduction to Cruising.

Suggest you get a room mid-ship if you think motion sickness is an issue.

Here is a link to my review of the cruise, which contains a link to my pictures.

Bill's Inspiration Review and Pictures

Good luck! Keep the group posted on your progress!

Bill

• 1 month later...
Looking for a cruise to take the girlfriend on in may. I have narrowed it down to three choices.

Anothrr idea,

We are a lot older than you but, a friend of mine and I are going in May, we are going on a 4 day Mystery Cruise. I think this is going to be fun and very different. If you are interested in this I can send you the details.

Deena@hcis.net

I am all about trying to convince someone that a 4 or 5 day cruise is way too short, unless you just CAN'T do it for some reason. Many times you don't get your sea legs for 3 or 4 days. I know more people that have gone on 4 day cruises and say they will never cruise again. I don't think I know a soul that has gone on a 7 day or longer and NOT loved it.

Heck, it takes at least 3 days just to see the whole ship. There is soooo much to do onboard. If you do a 4 or 5 day, realize that that day 1 and 4/5 are boarding and disembarking. So you are virtually on the ship/port or 2 or 3 days. You can also get onto much nicer ships (the older smaller ships are nice IF you lOVE to cruise like I do, I actually like the smaller ships better), if you do a 7 day. Much better variety, ship choice and VALUE!

Unfortunately the only 4 & 5 day cruises are on older ships and that MAY affect your cruise. I can't say because I don't know you, but I would recommend giving the sea at least 7 days of your life, OR you may never cruise again.

Mrsfuzzmo

• 2 weeks later...

aber, there are lots of things to handle sea sickness so don't worry about that. You can get the transderm patch that works fantastic, you can take Dramamine or Bonine or get medication from the ship's doctor. I was on a cruise with a couple who had never cruised and the woman was seasick until I told her about the medication from the ship's doctor. She went right up and took the meds, and was never seasick for the rest of the 29 day cruise.

Also, the older ships, including the older Carnival ships, are less stable than ships that are less than 7 years old, and I think even the Carnival ships that do the short cruises are older than 7. Do an itinerary that's very port intensive and without many sea days. That way, you're basically only cruising at night when you're sleeping so motion won't be a problem. Get a room as mid-ship as possible, not one up high or low or one that's far front or far aft. Mid-ship rooms have the least motion.

• 3 weeks later...

With over 550 banks on that small island of Grand Cayman, I dont think they have any problems rebuilding. Go check out the Turtle farm, its a blast. I would go out of Tampa on the Carnival ship. Make sure you get a Main deck or a cabin lowest to the bottom, to prevent sea sickness.

Archived