Single Cruising

SusieV

We have a friend who is considering taking a cruise by himself. He's never cruised before but we know he is not the type to enjoy a Carnival cruise. Beyond that, as long as the food's good, he'd be happy on just about any cruiseline- he's not a complainer.

He's very flexible and can travel last minute- in fact he's thinking of going in the next couple of months.

Can anyone recommend some cruises with low single supplements for the next little while? He would like to cruise as cheaply as possible.

Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

Susie.....as you probably know, Cruise Critic's Terms of Service is pretty strict now about what can and can't be said on these boards. Would be happy to email you directly about my experience, since I have taken over half my 13 cruises as a single traveler. Contact me at TheNightDawg@aol.com and will reply privately.

Hi Mr. NightDawg

It looks like you're happy with whatever cabin assignment you get. A PENTHOUSE suite!

All I have on my crossing next month is a small porthole. LOL

I might be tempted to try an inside next year. It can't be any different from a cabin with a porthole, except natural light.

If the price is right, just might grab one.

Hi:) I will be sailing solo NEXT Saturday:D ......actually it will be my 6th solo cruise in a row.

We are not supposed to talk "TA's" on here......and I guess it all depends on what "good pricing" means to him.

Normally single cruisers pay double:eek: ...yes, double on Celebrity, but sometimes good deals can be found. Some of Luxury Lines do offer very low supplements though.

If you want email me at

lo1958@hotmail.com and we can also talk outside these boards.

Hi NightDawg:)

Well, I can't talk TA on this sight, but the Terms don't say I can't disclose how much I paid. For the upcoming Celebrity Summit Jan 16th sailing , I got an inside Category 9 cabin, all to myself, for $624 TOTAL (includes tax and port). And outside and suites were also available at different rates. It was the Celebrity "Happy Hour" special last week and the TA I used puts out a weekly free newsletter telling you of the upcoming sales for single travelers. Some are reduced single supplement....some are NO single supplement. At $624 for a 7 day/6 night cruise on Celebrity (and on the Summit no less!)...I am one happy man. I told one of my buddies and he grabbed a cabin on that sailing as well.

If you would like to know the website to sign up for the free weekly newsletter, please email me at TheNightDawg@aol.com and will be happy to pass that info onto you.

I've cruised Celebrity twice as a "solo" (four other times as a "non-solo"). Both solo cruises (one in a SkySuite, the other a 1A) were around 135%. Best solo deals for me were on off-season, less-popular and/or longer cruises. My per diem for my SkySuite solo cruise was less than my per diem for a window cabin with another person on a Crystal cruise (nothing against Crystal-it ties with Celebrity as my favorite cruiseline).

Well I have to say this.

I'm a professional single, Masters degree, normally don't drink much, love Cirque du Soleil, some performance art, classical music and Soca. I've traveled a bit, been to europe a couple of times for short trips, have friends around the world. I'm starring middle age in the face and I generally expect things to be done the right way the first time. I'm a bit of a social snob, I love reading The Economist on plane trips, My favorate show is "Dead Like Me" and the popularity of "Desparate Housewives" escapes me. I've cruised 10 times in the last 8 years on 4 different lines all on my own...

...and I like Carnival best.

Don't assume your friend won't enjoy Carnival, you may be surprised.

I've done 17 cruises as an independent traveler and the mass market lines are horrible for single supplements. Most of them are in the 150% to 200% range, with most being the full 200%. Tell your friend to look for two-for-one specials whereby he'll only pay the first person fare. You won't find Celebrity offering these 2'fer deals, so he will have to look at other cruise lines. Crystal has had some amazing offers lately where the SS is only 5%, and with their sale prices for 7 day cruises starting at $995, that's a great price. The other luxury lines, Silversea and Seabourn, have SS starting at 110%, which is far better than the 200% of the mass markets.

Archived