What to take on excursions??

karenmax

Hi - I am taking my first cruise on the Sea Princess on 5/2 to the Caribbean. I am not sure what to wear or carry with me when we leave the ship for excursions?

I have been getting so much valuable information from this site but didn't see anyone talk about this. (Maybe because it is a silly question) But I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

:rolleyes: Karen

Most important isyour cruise card.

Sunscreen, hat, camera, money.

Attire depends on where you are and what you are going to see. Caribbean, Mexico, etc, shorts, t-shirts, and such are fine, unless you are visiting a church.

If you are going swimming, wear/bring a bathing suit and a towel.

One thing to add to Paul's list that we always take on shore. Those tiny disposable rain slickers (2 fer a dollar). Very small, can be tucked in anywhere but they have come in VERY handy when a Caribbean rain shower decides it wanted to get us and all of our things drenched. lol

I see you'll be visiting St. Maarten and Barbados, prepare from some HOT weather! I loved St. Maarten, one of my favorite ports, we took a semi sub over some protected reefs, it was awesome, the Dutch side is really cute, and the people very nice, the French side, is, well....French. Anyhow, bring lots of Sunscreen, I would recomend some hand sanitizer too! Have fun!

Hi Karen,

Since some excursions have beach time, I'm going to wear a bathing suit with a sundress over top.

Also need my bottled water.

Have you gone over to the Sea Princess Roll Call? May 2nd from Barbados?

We're on the same cruise. :D

We were just stopped in Cozumel on the way back to the Ruby Princess and asked for photo ID. In 9 cruises, we have only taken our cruise cards with us and did not have any with us. We were a little uncomfortable as we didn't know what was going to happen. The officer finally waved us on. We will always take either our driver's licenses or our passports with us in the future while going on excursions. Some posters suggested photocopying the passports instead of taking the actual passports. Not sure if anyone suggested this, but we always take a dry box (purchased in a dive shop) to carry our money, cruise cards, etc. and keep them dry while in the water.

Definitely bring your driver's lic.--some ports require it for re-boarding the ship! Other than that, and you room key/ship's ID, take whatever you need for whatever you'll be doing! If you're shopping, take money! If you go to the beach, bring beach stuff!

I would also suggest, depending on the tour, extra tapes/dvd for video cameras (for photo-intensive tours) and any medications you may need during the day. If you have any food allergies, you may wish to take some sealed, pre-packed food that you can eat (DH has issues - we normally take pre-packed nuts, etc. with us so he has a safe "snack" if he needs one).

I also usually carry money, cards, cameras (if not in a case) etc. in a zip-lock baggie or a water-proof container (the kind of thing you can wear around your neck). Stuff tends to get wet if it rains or it's a beach excursion and, also, just from "sweat" from water bottles in a bag.

Shoes can make or break an excursion. Walking on a rough surface like rocks in flip

flops is torturous. Just be sure you wear some that will stay comfortable. I also take

an small container with Motrin and Tums just in case. The places they take you to

shop don't carry them. Generally they will tell you you can leave things on the coach,

as they are locked. I put stuff in a little tote bag I can leave on.....nothing that would

hurt if it was stolen.

I usually pack a back pack with the items listed above. I would absolutely recommend taking some water and a snack. Many times you can get incredible food, but I did have an excusion in Mexico that served unidentifiable sandwiches.

I would recommend not taking anything that you would be very disappointed if you lost (wedding rings, large amounts of money, ect). These will be much more secure in the room safe.

Most important items to bring:

Cruise Card

Identification (Passport or driver's license)

Credit Card

A little cash (for tips and small purchases or where they don't take credit cards

Camera and extra batteries/memory card

Bottled water

Hand Sanitizer

A hand towel

Tissues

Not so important unless it looks like rain - Umbrella or raincoat I always carry a small umbrella because you just never know when you will need it.

In the Princess Patter that you get the night prior to your port call there will be a map of the port/town/island, or at least the shopping area, take that with you as they come in very handy, especially if you get lost or turned around.

Jim

Hi - I am taking my first cruise on the Sea Princess on 5/2 to the Caribbean. I am not sure what to wear or carry with me when we leave the ship for excursions?

I have been getting so much valuable information from this site but didn't see anyone talk about this. (Maybe because it is a silly question) But I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

:rolleyes: Karen

Your Cruise Card

Then sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Plus sunglasses and a hat are usually a good idea.

We went to REI (or you can order online) and bought 2 dry sacks, 1 small and 1 med. You put your things in them that you don't want to get wet, roll the top down and buckle the latch. We climbed the water fall in Ochos Rios and didn't want to get our t-shirts wet. Turned out they have lockers that you pay for, get a key and then you get some of your money back when you return the key. So we didn't really need them there, but at Princess Cays they worked really well because it's sandy and wet everywhere. :)

We also each had a dry pak alligator wallets that went around your neck and tucked in your shirt like the money wallets. We carried our cruise card, ID, CC and cash. I carried a contact lens case in mine. You can also get the waterproof camera cases for non waterproof digital cameras and the sport cases you wear around your neck (they sell them on the ship as well). I don't know if they are cheaper if you buy them at a sports store before you go or if the price is the same. They are $7 at REI. We used those around the pools too.

We had a fanny pack that we put the dry sacks in and even if we weren't in the water, I used them for my camera and lenses just in case.

The nice part about the dry sack is that we weren't told when we were packing up that you couldn't carry the rum we bought in the Grand Caymans on to the airplane, it had to be in the checked luggage. People were frantically trying to make room in their luggage. I pulled out the dry sacks that had random things in them and put the bottles in those padded with some t-shirts. Made it home just fine. :cool:

Princess really should remind people that no liquids can be carried on because there was some serious repacking at the airport. :eek:

We went to REI (or you can order online) and bought 2 dry sacks, 1 small and 1 med. You put your things in them that you don't want to get wet, roll the top down and buckle the latch. We climbed the water fall in Ochos Rios and didn't want to get our t-shirts wet. Turned out they have lockers that you pay for, get a key and then you get some of your money back when you return the key. So we didn't really need them there, but at Princess Cays they worked really well because it's sandy and wet everywhere. :)

We also each had a dry pak alligator wallets that went around your neck and tucked in your shirt like the money wallets. We carried our cruise card, ID, CC and cash. I carried a contact lens case in mine. You can also get the waterproof camera cases for non waterproof digital cameras and the sport cases you wear around your neck (they sell them on the ship as well). I don't know if they are cheaper if you buy them at a sports store before you go or if the price is the same. They are $7 at REI. We used those around the pools too.

We had a fanny pack that we put the dry sacks in and even if we weren't in the water, I used them for my camera and lenses just in case.

The nice part about the dry sack is that we weren't told when we were packing up that you couldn't carry the rum we bought in the Grand Caymans on to the airplane, it had to be in the checked luggage. People were frantically trying to make room in their luggage. I pulled out the dry sacks that had random things in them and put the bottles in those padded with some t-shirts. Made it home just fine. :cool:

Princess really should remind people that no liquids can be carried on because there was some serious repacking at the airport. :eek:

Where do you get those sacks and exactly what are they called? That's a wonderful idea.

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/sea-to-summit/dry-sacks/sea-to-summit-lightweight-dry-sacks.html .800.643.3629

Sea to Summit Lightweight Dry Sacks are a less expensive and less bulky alternative to traditional dry bags. You can squash these into spots ordinary heavy dry bags won’t go. Ideal for clothing and sleeping bags or for keeping critical items dry such as cameras and film, GPS devices, cell phones or travel documents. Fits into little corners of your sea kayak or light enough to take backpacking or adventure travelling.

$ 8.05 (1 Litre) XXS

$ 9.05 (2 Litre) XS

$10.05 (4 Litre) S

$13.05 (8 Litre) M

$15.05 (13 Litre) L

$17.05 (20 Litre) XL

$21.05 (35 Litre) XXL

plus $5 shipping on the 2-Litre

;);):D;);)

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Ultra-Sil-Dry-Sack/dp/B000KXWLIQ

eh..., May 10, 2008

By Giorgio Moroder "Siddhartha" (NYC United States)

Brought this product (20L size) for a multi-environment trip. I was doing diving/snorkel, kayaking, sailing as well as hiking/trekking. I have excellent experiences with this company, from quality to service, and Cordura is a product that I trust. Thus, when I was looking for a dry sack, I decided to buy this. It kept things dry, but within one week of "normal" usage, the bag became spotted with holes and small tears, rendering it useless for anything other than lining a bag. If you are doing light activity, it will be ok but, unfortunately, I can not recommend this product over the other dry sacks on the market. Lightweight yes, but unless a few ounces are worth such a sacrifice in durability, I would say move on from this item page without hesitation. Again, Sea to Summit is a great company with great products, but this item is an expensive disappointment for someone who needs a drysack for varied, technical and intense activity. If you're doing some snorkeling off the soft sands of the caribbean or day-kayaking from car-to-kayak, it will suit you. but even still, there are greater values out there.

$8.90 - $26.90 = 1 Litre to 13 Litres

Product Description - Sea To Summit built the Ultra-Sil Dry Sack with Siliconized Cordura to make it both incredibly light and completely waterproof. The Ultra-Sil Dry Sacks can handle backpacking, climbing, or wet environments in general. Backpacker Magazine was so impressed with this ingenious stuff sack, they gave it the 2006 Editor's Choice Award. What does Sea To Summit mean by lightweight? How about 1.1oz for an eight-liter dry bag? That number easily puts a smile on the face of the most weight conscious outdoor enthusiast. *Sold individually.

Product Features

Material: Siliconized Cordura

Closure: Roll-top

Volume: [1] 1L; [2] 2L; [4] 4L; [8] 8L; [12] 13L; [20] 20L; [35] 35L

Dimensions: [1] 6 x 9in; [2] 8 x 12in; [4] 9 x 15in; [8] 6.5 x 18in; [13] 8.5 x 21in; [20] 10 x 24in; [35] 12 x 27in

Backpack Straps: No

Weight: [1] 0.7oz; [2] 0.8oz; [4] 0.9oz; [8] 1.1oz; [12] 1.4oz; [20] 1.8oz; [35] 2.3oz

Warranty: 1 Year

Country of Origin: China

:mad::eek::eek::eek::(

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/compare.html?items=ultralight_dry_sacks&items=lightweight_dry_sacks&items=durable_dry_sacks&x=45&y=6

Storage Systems Durable Dry Sacks™ Storage Systems Lightweight Dry Sacks™ Storage Systems Ultralight Dry Sacks™

Price MSRP $27.00 USD MSRP $21.00 USD MSRP $25.00 USD

Intended Usage Ultra-durable, waterproof, fully featured Durable, waterproof protection Ultralight, waterproof, simple construction

The format got goofed up, expected that. Look at the Link.

:D:D:cool::D:D

Archived