Minors and Passport question

eandj

Please correct me in my thinking if I am wrong....and let me know if this is correct, please. Thanks.

If my 3yr. old granddaughter accompanies her dad and his wife on a summer cruise (not sure where yet) , she can do that using her original birth certificate and a consent form notorized by her birth mother. (they have joint custody)

If the parents had to interrupt their cruise due to an emergency illness on the cruise or emergency at home, they would need the passport for the child to leave the cruise from another port. (non U.S. territory) In other words, it would not be a round trip cruise from and back to the the U.S. in that case which would be acceptable without the passport.

Personally - I wouldn't leave without a passport!

Getting the consent form notorized is also a good idea. I travelled to the US with my kids to meet my husband there on business. We had the consent form notorized and that was the only thing that allowed me to board the plane with my kids!

If it's after June 1st, I think she'll need a passport, anyway...

While flying home without a passport would be a MAJOR hassle, it can be done.

Until 6/1/09, you don't HAVE to have a passport to cruise the Caribbean (none of the countries require a passport--it's the USA that is requiring it!)--don't know about Europe, but I wouldn't do that route without a passport.

Thanks for the info. This may all be a moot issue for us anyways. Just read new info..... My granddaughter's dad is over $2,500 in arrears for his child support which makes HIM inelegible for a passport. Nice move for the government to work with the states in calling out the dead beats, in my opinion! At least he'll have to pay up before galloping around the Carib!

Thanks for the info. This may all be a moot issue for us anyways. Just read new info..... My granddaughter's dad is over $2,500 in arrears for his child support which makes HIM inelegible for a passport. Nice move for the government to work with the states in calling out the dead beats, in my opinion! At least he'll have to pay up before galloping around the Carib!

HAHAHAHAHA well I am glad it was "good" news. :D

Actually, to answer your question in case the dad does pay off his back child support so he can go "galloping" around the caribbean....if it was a closed loop cruise...meaning - the cruise leaves from one US port and arrives back in the same port...THEN he would only need a birth certificate/driver's license for both him and the baby (and notarized letter of consent from mom)

If there was an emergency and they needed to fly back, it would be better to have a passport. He could get back in but he would have to go to the US Embassy in that country, get an emergency passport...blah blah blah. ;)

HAHAHAHAHA well I am glad it was "good" news. :D

Actually, to answer your question in case the dad does pay off his back child support so he can go "galloping" around the caribbean....if it was a closed loop cruise...meaning - the cruise leaves from one US port and arrives back in the same port...THEN he would only need a birth certificate/driver's license for both him and the baby (and notarized letter of consent from mom)

If there was an emergency and they needed to fly back, it would be better to have a passport. He could get back in but he would have to go to the US Embassy in that country, get an emergency passport...blah blah blah. ;)

Cruisinmama where would I find this information about closed loop cruise documents. My TA was very definite that we would need a passport if traveling after 6/1/09. We are going on RCCL out of Port Canaveral and returning there, so it sounds closed loop to me. TIA

there is another debate of this on the carnival board, but what I found so far is that minors under 15 only need a birth certificate, adults still need a passport. here is the latest link I found. Im still trying to find out for sure though.

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=905&p_created=1105727944&p_sid=k6Krhrvj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjQsMjQmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Y2xvc2VkIGxvb3AgYWZ0ZXIganVuZSAxc3Q*&p_li=&p_topview=1

When I was speaking with someone at Celebrity, she make sure to tell me several times that the children absolutely MUST have a passport to be allowed on the cruise. I'm not sure about what the US Government is saying but anyone with questions might want to check with their cruiseline, if they won't let your children on the ship without a passport, the fine print from the us government doesn't make much difference. The cruise line is essentially responisble for getting the ship and everyone on it through customs.

I hope your daughter gets the back child support she is owned!

Cruisinmama where would I find this information about closed loop cruise documents. My TA was very definite that we would need a passport if traveling after 6/1/09. We are going on RCCL out of Port Canaveral and returning there, so it sounds closed loop to me. TIA
Here is the official government site:

www.getyouhome.gov

and here is the RCCL position:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/gatewayPage.do?pagename=passport_guideline&pnav=4&snav=0

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth."

You might want to point out both of these to your TA. ;)

there is another debate of this on the carnival board, but what I found so far is that minors under 15 only need a birth certificate, adults still need a passport. here is the latest link I found. Im still trying to find out for sure though.

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=905&p_created=1105727944&p_sid=k6Krhrvj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjQsMjQmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Y2xvc2VkIGxvb3AgYWZ0ZXIganVuZSAxc3Q*&p_li=&p_topview=1

This page link is for foreign visitors TO the US, not for US citizens. The government link at www.getyouhome.gov is good or directly from the DHS website at http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/

(which is also linked on State Dept. Passport page, http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html )

When I was speaking with someone at Celebrity, she make sure to tell me several times that the children absolutely MUST have a passport to be allowed on the cruise. I'm not sure about what the US Government is saying but anyone with questions might want to check with their cruiseline, if they won't let your children on the ship without a passport, the fine print from the us government doesn't make much difference. The cruise line is essentially responisble for getting the ship and everyone on it through customs.
This is because your Millenium cruise is ONE WAY, not round trip. This does not fall under the passport exception and absolutely DOES REQUIRE passports after June 1, for any age.

Are you stopping in St Thomas? The first time we stopped in St Thomas we were asked for picture ID when returning to the ship - even for the kids (took passports to shore with us as we were told when we were getting off the ship everyone must have picture ID) This past visit, they didn't want to see picture ID for the kids - just the adults. Hit or miss if you'll be asked to produce picture ID for the kids!

True! My ex has neither a driver's license nor a passport for this reason. How sad. Not.

The closed loop rule ends and the Must have passport begins on June 1. That's for adults. Children under 16 can still use a birth certificate. Note the sites listed here and make sure you concentrate on the NEW rules if you are cruising Mex, Carib, canada after June 1.

And I have never needed picture ID for the kids, even in St. Thomas. ;)

Like I said - hit or miss! Been there twice - once was needed and asked for - the other time not. And only in St Thomas - every other island did not ask for picture ID when returning to the ship. Our cruise director even made an announcment about taking photo ID for everyone!

The closed loop rule ends and the Must have passport begins on June 1. That's for adults. Children under 16 can still use a birth certificate. Note the sites listed here and make sure you concentrate on the NEW rules if you are cruising Mex, Carib, canada after June 1.

You are incorrect. The close loop rule does not end on June 1. On June 1 if your cruise is not a closed loop then the rules apply. I called carnival to verify what I was reading on the government website and on the carnival website. My interpretation of what I read on both was that I did not need a passport for a July 18 closed loop cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. When I called Carnival she confirmed my interpretation that I would not need a passport for that cruise - only a certified birth certificate and my drivers license.

I stand corrected. :) This site deals directly with cruisers and is easy to understand. Be sure to read the ENTIRE article. But always check with the cruiseline as the itierary may require something different. Better to be prepared.

http://www.expertcruiser.com/blog/cruisers-passports-required-june-1-2009/

The only problem with the the closed loop cruise requirements would be if you needed to fly home from a port. Another problem is if you need two pieces of info, it puts a delay for you (and everyone else) in the already long Customs line. UGH.

If everyone traveling out of the country was required to carry a passport, no issues. And with so many cruisers heading overseas and doing TA's a large % already have ours.

The only problem with the the closed loop cruise requirements would be if you needed to fly home from a port. Another problem is if you need two pieces of info, it puts a delay for you (and everyone else) in the already long Customs line. UGH.

Yes, to fly back you would need a passport. But what do you mean about "2 pieces of info" - a birth certificate and Govt Issued ID (driver's license) is 2 pieces of ID. ;)

And yes, I have passports for everyone in my fam, including kids. :D

Yes, to fly back you would need a passport. But what do you mean about "2 pieces of info" - a birth certificate and Govt Issued ID (driver's license) is 2 pieces of ID. ;)

And yes, I have passports for everyone in my fam, including kids. :D

Yes that's what I mean...the two pieces of i.d. I know it takes longer to get thru the line with families who have to present all the paper work for the adults and kids. Been behind them...and try to avoid lines with lots hands full of paperwork. :)

Yes that's what I mean...the two pieces of i.d. I know it takes longer to get thru the line with families who have to present all the paper work for the adults and kids. Been behind them...and try to avoid lines with lots hands full of paperwork. :)

Ohhh I gotcha. It just all depends on the agents. I've traveled with friends who had no passports. They went in one agent's line, we went in the other. And we all made it out in the same amount of time. :) As with all things, it just depends. ;)

Archived