**Warning Don't Use Caribbean Dockside Creditcard Phones**

I used my credit card to make a phone call home to the UK from a dockside phone in St Lucia. The call lasted 5 - 6 minutes, got my credit card bill the other day, the phone call cost £31.45p :eek:

I called the phone company customer services using the free phone number shown on the credit card bill, told them they had ripped me off, they agreed to refund £12 back onto my card as a sign of good faith. My advice is not to use these phones which appear to be located in most, if not all the ports we visited during our two week cruise throughout the Southern Caribbean.

Terry

You're right! Never use a credit card or charge the call to your home phone! Always buy an "international calling card" at the port where you will use it, and avoid those ridiculous charges!

Even here, in the States, the de-regulation of the phone company has led to some outrageous phone charges (on payphones!!)

Lesson learned!

Or do your research before you leave and buy a card here in the US. ATT and others have options for calling from overseas. I use onesuite.com which has access numbers in a lot of countries. Lots of options. I NEVER use a phone where I don't know in advance what the rate will be - in the Caribbean or elsewhere.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I did this on our first cruise too. Called home from Grand Cayman and got the answering machine....cost me $51.00 each time! I didn't know until I got my cc bill. Never again will I do this!!!!!:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived