Jewelry to Europe and Med Cruise?

narnia1

1) put all valuable jewelry in your carry on.

2) In hotels there will usually be a safe in your room - use it.

If not ask to have it put in the hotel safe.

3) On the cruise you will have a safe in your cabin - use it.

I take my good jewelry too. I love to wear it and that is what it is for :)

I never take my rings off. And they are very valuable. Some ladies prefer not to wear their diamonds. Personally, that's why I have insurance for each piece. Would feel naked without.

Necklaces and bracelets I just lock in the safe.

I leave all my good jewelry at home and have acquired many nice faux peices that fit the need. One less thing to worry about. it's bad enough watching over the cameras, passports & money.

I love to take my good jewelry on cruises, but never take anything of value, with the exception of my rings, on land trips. Insurance is fine if the pieces can be replaced, but some of mine can't and I'm not willing to take the risk.

I took my jewerly and used the safe as well. However, our camera was stolen when we put it down for 2 minutes while having our photo taken on formal night. So, keep your valuables with you at all times and always use the safe. You'll get no help getting them back. :(

Lost once-in-a-lifetime photos of my kids... Better safe than sorry.

While on ANY vacation it is not a good idea to put anything down anywhere. In Europe I had a travel purse that I wore across my chest.....even in restaurants while I ate. Do not put it on the back of your chair or even on top of the table.

Here's a funny story - had a baseball hat on while disembarking in one port in the Caribbean (going to the beach) and when you leave the ship you must put in your seapass and not wear sunglasses so they can see if it is you leaving.....so I put them on top of my head on the hat..... forgot about em and then they asked me to take off my hat. Well the sunglasses dropped on the floor. A bunch of people were coming back on the ship and a lady picked them up and ran off with them. True story ! I ran after the group yelling "did anyone pick up a pair of sunglasses" and then the elevator door shut. Hope she poked herself in the eye with em:D

Just be sure to get your jewelery out of the safe when you leave!Last year on our Med cruise I left all my beautiful jewelery in Venice!

In the craziness of leaving the ship with 3 small kids , I forgot all my valuable pieces behind , only realizing I had done this in line to board the plane in Venice. Oh , having to tell my husband what I had done wasn´t easy!

After a long saga of phone calls and e-mails and such , I finally got all my things back.It was complicated , but I was so happy when everything arrived safely in the mail.

Moral of the story...check your safe twice. But I will continue taking my good jewelery on cruises , because I rarely wear it and you only live once.

Kim

Just be sure to get your jewelery out of the safe when you leave!Last year on our Med cruise I left all my beautiful jewelery in Venice!

In the craziness of leaving the ship with 3 small kids , I forgot all my valuable pieces behind , only realizing I had done this in line to board the plane in Venice. Oh , having to tell my husband what I had done wasn´t easy!

After a long saga of phone calls and e-mails and such , I finally got all my things back.It was complicated , but I was so happy when everything arrived safely in the mail.

Moral of the story...check your safe twice. But I will continue taking my good jewelery on cruises , because I rarely wear it and you only live once.

Kim

OMG That sounds like something I would do! That's why I take no good jewellery on vacation. Everything is safe at the bank!! No stress for me! I don't even want to think about it!!!

So glad to hear that there was a happy ending!

I will be cruising to the Med shortly with 7 days of land in Italy and Spain. I would like to wear good jewelry for those formal nights, but is it safe? What do people do to protect. Thanks.;)

You can chum up with one of the security guards. The security guard will guard the jewels.

On the serious site.

There are safes.

As to Spain, I would recomend you to be protective with the stuff you have.

I leave all my good jewelry at home and have acquired many nice faux peices that fit the need. One less thing to worry about. it's bad enough watching over the cameras, passports & money.

I'm with you. It could be stolen right off your fingers in some ports. My jewelery besides having a price value, has sentimental value.

Thank god for Swarovoski Crystal. I've bought some lovely pieces.

I always take good jewelry on our cruises. I wear it comfortably anywhere on the ship. I have made it a practice to NEVER wear jewelry off the ship except for a watch. Even my wedding band stays in the safe. Europe and the Caribbean Islands are known for crafty pickpockets and purse snatchers. I don't want to have to worry about it. Additionally, if you hope to do any bargaining when you are shopping, you don't need the merchants "sizing you up" by the jewelry you are wearing.

Thanks all for your replies. The concern I have is when we arrive in Barcelona and have to take a bus from the airport to the hotel-or in Venice when we take the train to Rome after the cruise. I am worried that even having it in the carry on exposes me to risk as someone could snatch the carry on which will be over my shoulder or my DH's backpack. My carry on bag I can put across my chest, but I know that thieves also know that folks carry jewelry in their carry ons. QVC here I come!!!:p

Thanks all for your replies. The concern I have is when we arrive in Barcelona and have to take a bus from the airport to the hotel-or in Venice when we take the train to Rome after the cruise. I am worried that even having it in the carry on exposes me to risk as someone could snatch the carry on which will be over my shoulder or my DH's backpack. My carry on bag I can put across my chest, but I know that thieves also know that folks carry jewelry in their carry ons. QVC here I come!!!:p

You are right about crafty pickpockets. I got hit in Venice. I carried my wallet in a vest pocket. When I guy 'bumped' me I checked everything and no problem. I entered a store and while dickering over price, took my wallet out. Didn't buy the item, so lazily stuck it in my front pocket thinking that was safe. The same guy who bumped me earlier pressed by me in the store. I minute later, I felt a bit of a draft and realized my front pocket was flapping in the breeze - sans wallet. I was impressed! Hit me and didn't even know it. Luckily my wife and I carry different cc's and I only had a few Euros. We had xeroxed our ID's and cc and left a copy with our friends at home. They cancelled after we called them. Easier that way.

I was wrong in my earlier email when I said my wife takes her good jewelry and puts it in the safe. She takes her 'OK' jewelry, not the good stuff. What do I know, it all looks nice to me.

Denny

Why expose yourself to this extra worry. It is, after all, a vacation to escape worries!

I wouldn't bring anything that is dear to you and/or difficult to replace.

Archived