lobster tail on connie

teegeezfun

okay, i am from new england and used to the maine lobster with big claws. can another new englander compare the lobster served on connie with the maine lobster i love.

if it is not a maine lobster tail i don't want it. i'll chose the fillet that night!!!

yep, you can have my lobster tail...have had the kind of lobster you folks are describing when i was down in florida. very disappointing compared to what i am used to. it's all about the cold water, i guess. it sucks for swimming but makes great lobsters.

enjoy all!!!

Its probably more food prep than the type of lobster. When you cook one three things can happen, two of them bad. Undercook (slimy results) and overcook (rubbery results). Best is when it comes out just right.

Our experience on various cruise lines probably follows that 1 in 3 chance. Probably because they are cooking for 1500+ passengers, many of whom want more than one no matter how bad they taste.

We've had similiar experiences trying to do it on our own, with New England lobsters. Want good lobster, go to someplace in New England where they really know how to do it (and probably could do it with a Carribiean lobster).

Now how about steamed crabs for dinner on a cruise line? Cover the tables with newspaper, give everyone a mallet and let everyone go ;) .

I do love lobster (it ranks up there with my favorite foods of all time, along with foie gras), but I also prefer Maine lobster, having grown up in CT. I eat the lobsters on cruises, and sure it's good, but nuthin like a good sweet 1 1/4 -pounder boiled gently for just 15 minutes, with drawn butter and lemon... mmmmm....

But Oh Yes, King Crab, now you're talking! Can't really screw that up too bad. I'm salivating - bring on the mallets! :D

LeeAnne

Being from New England, do not think of the warmer water Lobster as Lobster as you know it or you will be disappointed, regardless of how it is cooked, IMHO. (Although how it is cooked can certainly make further difference.) I personally enjoy both types of Lobster, but the New England lobster would win "claws" down in a comparison test for me. I have lived in the Northeast and was just in Maine two weeks ago (ate 3, 1.5 lb lobsters in 2 days, yummy!). I do so love the Lobster there! I now live on the west coast. While we can get New England lobster here in some of the better restaurants and seafood stores - it is soooooo very expensive. Here I specialize in crab.

The lobster tails I had on the Infinity were of decent quality and well prepared but tasted of "freezer burn"-you know, sort of a sharp, metallic taste. I didn't like them but others at my table did (or maybe they liked the melted butter which masked the taste).

Hi...:)

quote by Lou:

"what do they do with the remainder of the lobster"?

Lou, who knows, maybe they get the tail by itself.....or...what do most restaurants do with leftover food?....throw it away?:eek: :(

Tails are available frozen and sorted by weight, Maine-Type of lobsters are available Tails only also, but they cannot be processed or sold processed in the state of Maine by state law. They are usally processed in Canada. Warm water tails are much less expensive per pound, and are available in larger sizes. Any one can overcook a lobster tail warm or cold, but even if you cook a warm water lobster tail perfectly, it just doesn't have the same flavor or texture of a cold water lobster. The body of lobster is used for: making stock, soup, stuffing, & other culinary uses for small bits of lobster. On our Coral Princess cruise last month, we had maine lobster 2 nights & rock lobster 1 night.

Harvey

Avoid the Celebrity bogus lobster tail, teegeezfun. (Holland America's, too.)

We're Cape Codders and love our "real" lobster. Celebrity's beef is terrific, but the lobster tails were...overcooked and without taste. On Galaxy the prime rib and veal cordon bleu (on the same menu with lobster tail) were much better choices. Ask for a tail on the side if you want to try it, but be sure to order something else for your entree, or you'll miss out on a good dinner.

Avoid the Celebrity bogus lobster tail, teegeezfun. (Holland America's, too.)

We're Cape Codders and love our "real" lobster. Celebrity's beef is terrific, but the lobster tails were...overcooked and without taste. On Galaxy the prime rib and veal cordon bleu (on the same menu with lobster tail) were much better choices. Ask for a tail on the side if you want to try it, but be sure to order something else for your entree, or you'll miss out on a good dinner.

We had two different kinds of lobster on X and HAL.

On Celebrity it was brown with lines (haven't seen this kind in Mass) and on HAL it was red. I actually liked both. Would eat any of them right now!!!

What you can do is order lobster and if it' not up to your likeing you can ask for different entree.:)

what do they do with the remainder of the lobster

The lobsters they serve don't have any decent meat anywhere but the tail. They don't have claws like Maine lobsters.

I went to college in Maine, and agree with most of you. . .what they serve on the ships is very dissapointing if you expect a New England lobster.

Still, I always order one as a side dish to make my own surf and turf. :)

okay, i am from new england and used to the maine lobster with big claws. can another new englander compare the lobster served on connie with the maine lobster i love.

if it is not a maine lobster tail i don't want it. i'll chose the fillet that night!!!

Order both....

Why comprimise.

Hi...:)

quote by Lou:

"what do they do with the remainder of the lobster"?

Lou, who knows, maybe they get the tail by itself.....or...what do most restaurants do with leftover food?....throw it away?:eek: :(

They have it at the grand show Buffet that night.

Chilled and sliced up.

Archived