Another Man Overboard

Brenda33

O no, I just dont understand how somebody can just fall over those railings. And is very suprising that if they saw him fall in, why they couldnt find him, did they get that far away before turing back to locate him. How horrible this is for him and his family.

Brenda, Someone posted this yesterday, I'm not being snootty, I swear. I did find it interesting though that they had called off the search after, what, 24 hours.

I wonder how they determine how long to search? I would think that he would have been fairly easy to locate - I mean it seems as if several people saw him "fall", I would think an alert would have been raised immediately; it's not as if it took hours or days for them to realize he was missing. Thoughts, ideas, opinions...:confused:

O no, I just dont understand how somebody can just fall over those railings. And is very suprising that if they saw him fall in, why they couldnt find him, did they get that far away before turing back to locate him. How horrible this is for him and his family.

Yeah, I know. There are really no details......couldn't understand that they saw him fall in, yet couldn't help him. I wonder what he was doing that caused him to fall in, etc.

Yeah, I know. There are really no details......couldn't understand that they saw him fall in, yet couldn't help him. I wonder what he was doing that caused him to fall in, etc.

He may have been drunk and if so his senses were off and could have drowned.

Maybe if they called off the search and rescue after 24 hours they may have thought they did not think they could find and or save him after that.

It really is sad for all.

Won't be long now until Congress raises the rail-height

and they put a stainless steel birdcage right up and over the ship

right the way down again, til it meets the high rail on other side :cool:

:confused: 39 yrs. old? -and he doesn't know how to stay on a ship ? :confused:

I am sure that is takes a bit of time and a lot of ocean to turn a cruise ship around. If the person was drunk, ill or was injured in the fall they could drown and sink in minutes. As someone that was a search and rescue swimmer in the Navy for 20 years I can tell you that it is a very big ocean and a body is just a very hard to see speck in a sea of specks that all look the same from search altitudes.

Well if he fell and the ship was sailing at say 25 mph and I really hope this isn't what happened but the ship would suck you under it and the propellers would do you in.:eek:

Won't be long now until Congress raises the rail-height

and they put a stainless steel birdcage right up and over the ship

right the way down again, til it meets the high rail on other side :cool:

:confused: 39 yrs. old? -and he doesn't know how to stay on a ship ? :confused:

Maybe they can pass a law that we all have to wear our beautiful orange vests during the entire cruise....or maybe just while drunk!

Maybe they can pass a law

that we all have to wear our beautiful orange vests during the entire cruise..

..or maybe just while drunk!

That would be cool!

Then we could all do the color-coordinated thing like Mrs. Aplmac, here...

Mrs_Aplmac.jpg

Nothing new, this was reported two days ago.

I will say this, it is impossible to fall overboard, unless you are doing something really stupid, like walking on railings. People do not fall off of cruise ships without outside interference, whihc can include lots of alcohol.

totally off topic - but is it just me or is it a little weird in the Article the man fell off a NCL ship in the Bahama's and yet they show a pic of the ship in the glaciers in Alaska ......ok maybe it is me but I had to laugh and found it distracting from the seriousness of the article...

I will say this, it is impossible to fall overboard

-unless you are doing something really stupid, like walking on railings.

People do not fall off of cruise ships without outside interference

which can include lots of alcohol.

Thank you, sir! ;)

Nevertheless, we shall all suffer the restrictive consequences

of one nitwit's death by misadventure!

Everything has to be geared to the lowest common denominator

don't forget that ;)

Nothing new, this was reported two days ago.

I will say this, it is impossible to fall overboard, unless you are doing something really stupid, like walking on railings. People do not fall off of cruise ships without outside interference, whihc can include lots of alcohol.

Was this alcohol induced;)...Oh stop....just kidding!!

A few years ago a man was doing chin-up's on the outside of his balcony, his NEW wife stated that he was smiling all the way down. This happened on the Conquest. I believe they found him washed up on an island a few days later. A poster on this boad was on the ship and stated that he heard him hit a life boat then the water.

Was this alcohol induced;)...Oh stop....just kidding!!

I don't in any way mean disrespect, but...

could this be why smuggling liquor aboard is prohibited?! (not assuming he wasn't drinking 'Carnival alcohol'...)

Going to duck and run now! :D

Soon, saying to someone, "I'm going on a cruise," is going to evolve into something akin to saying, "He went Postal."

Three day cruises are notoriously "Booze-Cruises" which makes for situations filled with poor judgement.

[This is posted with no disrespect to the people involved in this unfortunate event.]

A few years ago a man was doing chin-up's on the outside of his balcony,

his NEW wife stated that he was smiling all the way down. ===> She inherited nicely? :)

I believe they found him washed up on an island a few days later.

A poster on this board was on the ship and stated that he heard him hit a life boat then the water.

Coroner's verdict: Death by misadventure.

Happens all the time...people with little appreciation for the value of their own lives!

Either that or quite simply their inherent "inability" to die while on vacation!

I cruise all the time and all the overboards causes my friends and family to second guess cruising even when I tell them there is absolutely not way to fall off unless you are sitting and the rail in some way or someone pushes you or you jump. The rails are too high. Sometimes, people do stupid things and they just don't think anything will happen. THe crew can't watch every corner of the ship. A lot of the time they do it from their own balcony where no one sees them sitting out there. What I don't understand is why the post about the incident didn't explain what happened, if the family and friends saw him then surely they know what he was doing. By only posting that he fell overboard, it makes people think it is the cruiselines fault. don't get me wrong I too sympathise with this mans family and wish they could have found him, but on the other hand I wish more was said on how it happened.

Well if he fell and the ship was sailing at say 25 mph and I really hope this isn't what happened but the ship would suck you under it and the propellers would do you in.:eek:

Not to disagree with you but when I was on the Disney Magic, with my daughter, a few years ago we went to a Q&A time with the captain. One of the kids asked the captain "If I fell overboard what would kill me first? Hitting the water, getting sucked under the ship and chewed up, or being eaten by sharks? The Captain said that it would probably be none of the above. It would probably be from drowning. Especially if no one saw him fall. They have done many tests, with different dummies, logs, etc. and none of them got sucked under the ship.

He may have been drunk and if so his senses were off and could have drowned.

Maybe if they called off the search and rescue after 24 hours they may have thought they did not think they could find and or save him after that.

It really is sad for all.

Drunk ...? Suicidal...? If it's the former, I have heard anecdotal stories of people being able to do really weird s*&t when the alcohol demens are biting...and going overboard I could imagine would be a simple task. If it's the latter, it's ALWAYS possible for someone with a 2 ton gorrila on their back to find a way to get the job done.

Either way, it's totally, absolutely and completely sad, and my thoughts and condolences go out to the family.

As mentioned in other posts, these huge ships don't exactly turn on a dime ... it's sometimes better (though on the surface it can seem sort of mean) to turn the job over to the Coast Goard or other law enforcement, and continue on course as planned. Cruel on the surface, but definately pragmatic.

Totally sad...

Michael

Archived