Senior Rate Lowest Price?

cvrap

I've noticed that for the past couple of weeks the senior rate is the lowest rate below past guest and all for our cruise. Do you think there is a reason for this? Are they trying to get more 55 and older?

It's still more than our rates we got a few months back and we're all interior. The balcony rooms are the really good deal but we're not able to upgrade to that at this point. I'm watching the interior and OV rooms for seniors as there are a few in our group but it's not fallen below what we paid yet.

Just curious!!

Often Carnival throws up a last minute senior rate. If you are already booked, say at the early saver rate, then the senior rate probably isnt less. I have noticed some good last minute senior rates. I guess I like them better than last minute by which state you live in because they never have my state for my cruises.

.... as you said, you originally booked at a better price. The senior rates are to attract last minute bookings.

I was just wondering why they seem to target the senior group and not offer that rate to others.

Our rate is still a little better. I'm going to keep watching, of course, because we did book early saver and I'm guessing if they don't get the seniors rate booked, they'll offer it to others.

This is just a guess, in order of discounts:

Past Guest

Senior Rate

Military Rate

Employee Discounted Rate

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule....and I left out the "hurricane discount" ($99 per person for 3 days to nowhere courtesy of Gustav on the Ecstasy last year) :eek:

My understanding is that the military rate (when offered/available for a given cruise) is the lowest rate available. I cannot comment on the others, since I am not yet a senior, nor am I employed with Carnival. The Past Guest rate is definately NOT the best discount. Also consider locale discount....some folks receive it. Do not know what the criteria is though. Others to be considered are special group rates....but then that would more than likely be a T/A thing. At any rate....happy sailing to all and calm seas/blue skies.

We have found that the "Military Rate" has always beat the Senior, and Past Guest rates when available. Most of the time by a couple of hundred dollars, once again depending on the cruise (time of year, length of cruise, etc.).

When we booked, as well as the Fun Saver and Fun Select we had a choice of past guest, senior (yes it's over 55) and resident. Past guest was best (3 in a balcony). Then a few months later, senior rate was best. Then a month after that, past guest was best for guest 1 and 2, but person 3 was higher than person 3 in senior category (total for 3 of us was best with past guest rate). Now all 3 categories show the same price......so you never can tell....just have to keep checking.

just be aware that its not always the best rate, usually interline or military beats the senior rate. Keep watching for a rate drop if you qualify for other discounts.

I agree with firefly, military rate, when available, has always been lower than the senior rate. DW and I look for any and all discount rates when we book.

This is just a guess, in order of discounts:

Past Guest

Senior Rate

Military Rate

Employee Discounted Rate

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule....and I left out the "hurricane discount" ($99 per person for 3 days to nowhere courtesy of Gustav on the Ecstasy last year) :eek:

My experience has shown the "military rate", when available, to be the best rate. Unfortunetly they are limited and sell out quickly. My upcoming Holiday trip is "pack and go" priced. The military rates were sold out. Still the "pack and go" was such a good deal that I upgraded to o/v for what a 1A would have normally cost me at the military rate.

Archived