What is meant by a guaranteed stateroom?

papergypsy

Another newbie question here. I have read a couple of posts that talk about a guaranteed stateroom and upgrades - sorry, but it is very confusing. I would think that if something is guaranteed, that means it is yours. But I am getting the impression that you can have your stateroom changed to another if you are guaranteed.

We have a guaranteed aft Superior Veranda Suite on Zuiderdam, and would really hate to find out our suite was moved forward.

Can someone please explain?

Thanks!

A guarantee simply means that you will get no less than that category of stateroom. The cruise line has the option of moving you to a higher category, but not a lower. In your case, they can place you in any SS/SY/SZ category stateroom they choose and you'll still be in a Superior Verandah Suite. Or, they could upgrade you and place you in a Deluxe Verandah Suite (S/SA/SB) or even the Penthouse. (Don't hold your breath! ;) )

Reserving a stateroom on a guarantee basis usually saves a little money. It's a good option for those who don't really care where they are on the ship. The main thing is to never book a lesser category and hope for better. (i.e., book an inside guarantee and hope they put you in an oceanview. It happens, but only rarely.) Book whatever you'll be happy in if you're not upgraded.

By a guaranteed aft Superior Veranda Suite, do you mean that you booked a specific cabin? If so, it is yours. If you simply booked a guaranteed Superior Veranda Suite then yes, you can be moved.

There may be some confusion as to what you mean by guaranteed. When I booked my next cruise, I booked a guaranteed MM (inside) cabin. There was no specific cabin chosen and it was with the understanding that the least category I would be assigned to was an MM inside cabin (Not sure if there IS anything lower). I've since been assigned a category E outside (ocean view), which is a higher category. When I booked my previous cruise, I booked a specific veranda cabin and it was "guaranteed" to be my cabin and that is where I was on the cruise.

Does this shed some light?

Reserving a stateroom on a guarantee basis usually saves a little money.
We've done seven guarantees and never "saved" a dime, except in terms of getting a higher priced cabin than we paid for by way of free upgrades.

Regarding guarantee upgrades - does booking through HAL vs a TA have any bearing on the probability of being upgraded?
As far as I can tell, no one outside of HAL knows how upgrades are decided. It does seem to me that first-timers (on HAL) get some of the best upgrades, whether they booked through a TA or HAL direct.

For the April 24 sailing of the Ryndam we purchased a H guarantee and were assign an C. We chose the guarantee because when we made our reservation is was the cheapest available for for outside cabins. This is our first cruise of HAL and we booked directly with HAL through their website.

Thank you all for your response, and yes, I think my question is answered.

We booked a specific SS cabin number through a TA. That number is on the confirmation we received when we completed payment. But the confirmation letter also says guaranteed. I would hate to be placed in a different cabin, especially since the SY and SZ cabins were less expensive.

If the upgrade fairy unexpectedly visits us, I will be gracious and will accept her gift. But I am not holding my breath.

Thanks to all of you and to CC for being such a great source of information!

We've done seven guarantees and never "saved" a dime, except in terms of getting a higher priced cabin than we paid for by way of free upgrades.
In our case, we saved a considerable amount on last month's cruise on the Westerdam. We booked a VH guarantee. That's the lowest level of balcony cabin. They were only available as a guarantee when we booked the cruise. We could not have chosen one specifically even if we wanted to.

Our previous cruise had been in an inside cabin, so any balcony would have been fine with us--even the VH ones with the steel railing instead of glass. We ended up in a VE cabin.

In our case, we saved a considerable amount on last month's cruise on the Westerdam. We booked a VH guarantee. That's the lowest level of balcony cabin. They were only available as a guarantee when we booked the cruise. We could not have chosen one specifically even if we wanted to.
I don't know about the prices when a category is only available as a guarantee, but I'm saying in other cases a specific VA is the same price as a VA guarantee, a specific VB is the same price as a VB guarantee, etc. The downside of a guarantee is that if you don't get an upgrade, then you'll get "the cabin that nobody else wanted" in the category.

For all seven of our guarantees we have been upgraded, between 2 and 7 steps. Only once were we somewhat unhappy with the assigned cabin, but not knowing the drawbacks of that cabin beforehand, we may well have chosen it as a specific cabin and paid the higher price.

I would hate to be placed in a different cabin, especially since the SY and SZ cabins were less expensive.
Don't worry, you will NOT be downgraded. Or at least not involuntarily. You may be contacted and offered a downgrade in exchange for some significant compensation - like a full suite on a different cruise, plus OBCs, etc. And unless you specifically said "Do Not Upgrade" on your reservation, you may still be upgraded. In your case, the next step would be at least an SC full suite, but possibly in a less desirable location.

Archived