In Victoria

kimchee1212

Hi,

I'm going to Alaska this summer on the Golden, and we're schedule to be in Victoria around 7 (?). My family really wants to explore the city, but we'd also like to enjoy our final night dining on the boat.

We have confirmed second seating, so is there any way we can eat earlier on that night to get the best of both worlds?

Thanks~

Hi,

I'm going to Alaska this summer on the Golden, and we're schedule to be in Victoria around 7 (?). My family really wants to explore the city, but we'd also like to enjoy our final night dining on the boat.

We have confirmed second seating, so is there any way we can eat earlier on that night to get the best of both worlds?

Thanks~

Horizon court buffet, pay restaurants- Sabatinis, or the Crown Grill.

So there's no way to eat on the ship's dinner menu then, hm?

Well you could get switched to Any Time dining for your voyage instead. Personally AT dining worked very well for us, but I guess that is a personal preference.

You could just turn up at one of the AT dining rooms anyway. But that is very much frowned upon by everyone so I really wouldn't recommend it.

Horizon Court really is your best option for that evening but will be very busy. Princess will allow you that last evening to switch to anytime dining but please understand that many of the people that have eaten in anytime dining all week will want to be eating early to then go visit Victoria just like you and there will also be many others besides yourselves in late traditional the previous evenings that will also use anytime that evening to then visit Victoria so it will be extremely busy.

When we sailed on the Golden in 2007 the evening that we stopped in Victoria early traditional and anytime dining started 1/2 hr earlier than normal to help accommodate dinner before arriving in Victoria.

Enjoy Alaska, its absolutely beautiful ! :)

I sailed on the Golden with 3 friends in 2007. We had the early seating at a table for 8. The other 4 people never showed all week long. The night in Victoria, 2 people from the late seating, same table came to early seating. The waitress told them it would probably be ok since the other 4 never showed. So.... you could always just ask your waitress if she thought it would be ok to go to early seating on that night.

Grandmato4 - Hey Joy! How's it going?!

Rebecca

Putterdude,

Thanks for the great picture and map.

The port for cruise ships is far from the "inner harbor" area. How does one get there from the port? Taxi, shuttle bus or something else?

Is there anything to do in the immediate area where we dock - - ie. shops, restaurants, etc?

We are going in early June on a Holland cruise, same thing. They will be there 6pm till midnight. Seems there are so many ships now that you just get a 'piece' of a day. Ours is also the last night of the cruise.

I am taking part of a repositioning cruise on the Island Princess with my daughter next month. To my surprise, we actually get an entire day in Victoria, very rare !

We already have our reservations for the high tea at the Empress Hotel. We are also going to chinatown & butterfly gardens.

Victoria is a fabulous place. To just be there a few hours at night is awful, especially the last night where you have to pack.

Putterdude,

The port for cruise ships is far from the "inner harbor" area. How does one get there from the port? Taxi, shuttle bus or something else?

Is there anything to do in the immediate area where we dock - - ie. shops, restaurants, etc?

There are shuttle buses and taxis, however if you're in good shape and don't mind walking, it's really only about a 15 minute walk. There is a coffee shop (which serves soups, sandwiches, etc.) across the parking lot from the dock. Your best bet is to go the Inner Harbour area. Another option is to walk to Fisherman's Wharf and have some fish & chips at Barb's Fish & Chip stand.

There are shuttle buses and taxis, however if you're in good shape and don't mind walking, it's really only about a 15 minute walk. There is a coffee shop (which serves soups, sandwiches, etc.) across the parking lot from the dock. Your best bet is to go the Inner Harbour area. Another option is to walk to Fisherman's Wharf and have some fish & chips at Barb's Fish & Chip stand.

Yummo...Barb's Fish & Chips :) The BEST fish and chips I have ever had. But last fall she wasn't open in the evenings.

Putterdude,

After you clear customs and walk outside there will be a number of cabs and a shuttle which will take you to the Inner Harbour across the street from the Empress Hotel. A taxi will cost you about $10 each way and the shuttle $6/7 pp rtn. You can walk, it is very safe and will take you 15 to 20 mins. You won't find much in the way of shops until you get into the downtown area, particularly Government St. which runs in front of the Empress. Duriing summer evenings there are a number of buskers who perform on the causeway of the Innner Harbour just on the water side of the Empress. Enjoy.

http://www.causewayartists.ca/welcome.html

After you clear customs and walk outside there will be a number of cabs and a shuttle which will take you to the Inner Harbour across the street from the Empress Hotel. A taxi will cost you about $10 each way and the shuttle $6/7 pp rtn. You can walk, it is very safe and will take you 15 to 20 mins. You won't find much in the way of shops until you get into the downtown area, particularly Government St. which runs in front of the Empress. Duriing summer evenings there are a number of buskers who perform on the causeway of the Innner Harbour just on the water side of the Empress. Enjoy.

http://www.causewayartists.ca/welcome.html

Hi Frank!

Thanks for the info, as we will be stopping in Victoria on our Alaska cruise in early July. I might have more questions for you before we go.

Have a great pacific coastal cruise on our beautiful Coral. :)

Cindy

I live in Victoria. Take the shuttle down to the inner harbour. In front of the Parliament Buildings you can take a horse and buggy ride through James Bay. In front of the Empress Hotel there should be tour guides that can arrange for city tours on a double decker bus or take you out to the gardens. Also, down in the inner harbour there is a little passenger ferry that just cruises around the local harbour waters and makes various stops at different hotels, pubs. You can get off if you like or just stay on and do the loop - I believe it is $5.00. Have a great time - I leave this Sunday from LA on the Coral Princess to beautiful hot weather!!!!

Archived