Vancouver to Seattle for 5 adults?

laginog

What would the easiest and cheapest way be for 5 adults to get to Seattle from Vancouver after our Southbound cruise? It's quite a bit cheaper to fly home from Seattle than it is from Vancouver. Plus, I know we can get a Priceline airport hotel in Seattle for around $30-35 for that last night. We're assuming that a bus would be the cheapest but is there some place I can look for the route and rates? Would we catch it at the port or does Princess offer transfers of some sort?

laginog

many passengers rent a van or car to drive to vancouver. my friend and i are going to save money also by flying into seattle the day before. we are going to use www.quickshuttle.com. this is a bus service that you catch at seatac and then they drop you off in vancouver at various locations. then when you get off the ship they take you back to seattle. it is around $75 per person for the roundtrip. you can give them a call and find out the best times too choose for leaving and coming back since there would be more time for all of you get luggage gathered and such. i hope this helps and have a wonderful time.

I agree with renting a mini van one way from one of the larger rental companies. We do it all the time going both directions. You can reserve right online. They always have cars that need to be shuttled back to their origin either Vancouver or Seattle. A 7 passenger mini van will set you back around $80 to $100 plus tax. A stael for 5 of you. No need to wait for a shuttle or bus. You can usually pick it up right at the pier. Hope this helps. Reserve as soon as possible the rates do fluctuate. It is a straight shot to Seattle about 3 hours drive time 150 miles. Allow extra time for the port of entry traffic.

Does anyone know...or know how we can find out..which car rental places are right at Vancouver pier? We will be travelling with 3 older people and we don't "get around" too well. I don't think they will want to "bus" over to somewhere else to rent a car. If they have to do that, they might want to just stay on the bus all the way to Seattle. But...we will have a day in Seattle so...having a car for a day might be a good idea. Also, would a mini van hold 5 of us....and a lot of luggage??? Like maybe 8 big pieces and a couple small bags??

Hertz is right at the pier as well as Alamo. If you call the Pan Pacific Hotel they can tell you which companies are there. They also have shuttles to take you to the rental offices that are within 5 minutes of the pier. A mini van will hold at least 7 with space in the rear to store your bags. We have stuffed at least 8 pieces in a van when returning from Alaska on the Coral. A little tight but well worth it.

Pretty well all of the major car rental firms have a desk at the Cruise Ship terminal. You will find the car rental desks to the right of the main exit doors.

Quick Shuttle is a great service direct form the cruise ship dock to SEA airport and cost is $46.CA one way.

Soi the cheapest way for 5 adults would definitely be a rental car.

Each of the major rental car companies have several different agencies. I don't know how to figure out which ones are the ones at the pier! Since I'm not familiar with the area, I don't know the streets to know which ones are "at the pier". And none of them actually mention the pier, to make it easy for me!!!!! Any hints anybody? For example...This is the list for Hertz... And they all look like this!!!

Vancouver International Airport

P.O. Box 23255,

Heliport

455 Commissioner Street,

Million Air

5455 Airport Road, South,

North Vancouver

1755 Capilano Road,

Renaissance Hotel Harbourside

1133 West Hastings Street,

Seahurst Aviation

Vancouver Downtown

1128 Seymour Street,

Via Rail

1150 Station Street,

Westin Bayshore Hotel

1601 Bayshore Drive,

We used Hertz one-way (Vancouver - Seattle), and our location was the one on Seymour Street. We caught a shuttle bus from the pier that took us to the rental car location after the cruise. For some reason, Avis was cheaper going the other direction, so our Seattle - Vancouver was through Avis, and they were about 1 or 2 streets from the Hertz location.

We had 4 in our family, but soon realized that the 4 of us plus our luggage were never going to fit in a regular car, so we changed our reservations to a mini van about 1 week before the cruise. Unfortunately, by that point in time, the van was expensive, but we didn't feel like we had a choice (next time I'll know to schedule a van up front). There would have been plenty of room for 1 more passenger, but we did fold down the rear seat to get the luggage in (4 large suitcases, a garment bag, a cosmetic bag, and 3 backpacks for carry ons). One thing to remember is that since it's Alaska, the clothes will be bulkier than a warm weather cruise. We had jackets, a couple of fleece blankets, and sweatshirts (my DD and I are wimps about the cold).

Our delays in June were fairly minimal. We were going through the border crossing on Sunday both days -- no idea if it changes a lot other days.

On our way into Canada, we waited probably 5 - 10 minutes at the Peace Arch Border crossing. I wish we had gotten out and looked around a little bit, but we were in a hurry to get to the ship. On the return trip, the Peace Arch border was closed due to a boy scout event, so we were detoured through the truck crossing. The wait here was a little longer -- but still no more than 15 minutes. However, at that time, the cars waiting to cross into Canada were lined up for quite a stretch. I would imagine, if you were going the other way, that the wait would have been at least 30 minutes or more.

Since I had read that the waits could be quite long, these didn't seem bad at all. They just checked our drivers licenses & birth certificates, asked us what the purpose of our travel was, how long we would be, did we have any items to declare, and sent us through.

Few cars are at Canada Place, and the suggestion to go get the car and come back is RIGHT ON. Then if needed you can walk to the downtown offices, if you have no mobility limitiations. sometimes far quicker than waiting in the shuttle lines. I have rented from National, Avis and Budget AND walked to them all. Alamo used to charge additional drop off fees- verify this. Allow at least 4 hours for the Canada Place- Seatac drive, plus gas and return time needed for the rental. More if you aren't savvy at city driving or directions. :) Better to have more than less. :)

Border delays can be lengthy. When we drove through south bound last summer early August we got into the express lane by mistake. the wait for the regular lanes was at least 2 hours. We were told to park and had to go inside to explain the wrong lane usage. But it still was worth renting a car. You should check all the larger rental companies. Hertz will have what you need right at the pier. I would not go get the car at the off site location and come back as it will be a zoo at the pier. Only took us about 10 minutes to rent the car. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We arrive in Vancouver on monday, June 20 and I have scheduled a flight home from Seattle at 2:10 p.m. the same day. Have I made a mistake? We plan on using the shuttle service from the ship to the airport.

Thanks for the help.

Try to get early off tags and get going as soon as possible. It will be close. You should have a contingincy plan in case there is an unforseen delay. Our flight was at 6PM and we also got caught in major construction traffic south of Seattle on the way to Tacoma. You may want to look at a later flight while you are this far out so your not rushed. :)

We arrive in Vancouver on monday, June 20 and I have scheduled a flight home from Seattle at 2:10 p.m. the same day. Have I made a mistake? We plan on using the shuttle service from the ship to the airport.

Thanks for the help.

You are cutting it way too close (at least for my comfort). Presuming you get off with the first group of passengers, you'll be hitting Monday morning rush hour traffic. Even though you are going against the main flow of heavy traffic, it will still be relatively busy. And don't forget, if you are using the shuttle service, you'll be waiting for fellow passengers to load.

If there is any delay or accident whatever, you'll be sweating buckets. Also there is no telling what the border line up will be like and you still have to go through security at Sea-Tac.

Not saying you can't make it - just that it will be close! If at all possible, try to get a later flight.

ell

Thanks for the help.

My clear bet is - you will not make it. Change this flight now. A great deal of people now want "priority disembarkment". No guarantees you will be first off your ship. With the ship shuttle - there is all the required loading and unloading of people and bags. No guarantee your terminal will be the first stop. Seattle is a huge airport, a one hour window for departure is usually necessary for checking in bags, getting through security and getting to the gate.

I have not done this, but we plan to take Amtrak to Vancouver from Seattle the morning of the cruise. I've done much research so I know there are a only a couple times to choose from. The train Vancouver to Seattle I believe is around 6:00 PM. Not a very convenient time after getting off the ship. With a car, you would have a place to put your bags.

Yes,

My Husband and I did the train from Vancouver to Seattle in May of 2000. We took the skytrain to the Amtrack station. We were able to check our luggage with Amtrack at noon.* We then spend the afternoon touring Vancouver. Hopped onto the train and ate diinner along the Sound at we headed South. Got into Seattle right around 10 PM.

* Please note that this was prior to 9-11 so they may not allow you to check luggage that early for security reasons. I would contact Amtrack to find out if you are allowed early luggage check-in. They did have lockers in the Amtrack station but their weren't large enough for our large suitcases.

Deb

Archived