Childrens Gratuities

topspin1267

First of all, prepaid gratuities are not the same as the tips that are automatically added to your onboard account. Prepaid tips are paid, along with your cruise fare, before you ever set foot on board. Autotips are added to your S & S account, just as any other onboard purchases are.

Ok, I'm a little confused now. I thought when you prepaid tips, that was to cover the autotips that are added to your S&S account. Am I wrong?

I think you tipped very fairly and generously, in fact, I never give the Maitre'd more than $10 but we all tip what we feel is fair.

Thanks. Ok, I thought so. It will be interesting to see what the "others" have to say as well.

Ok, I'm a little confused now. I thought when you prepaid tips, that was to cover the autotips that are added to your S&S account. Am I wrong?

Yes. Pre paid tips and auto tips are two differents things. One you pay before you cruise, and one you pay at the end, or later.

To the OP:

Your child's tips per meal are roughly $1.83. If you wish to redirect, make sure there is not a server assigned to your child, so let your MD know.

I think you tipped very fairly and generously, in fact, I never give the Maitre'd more than $10 but we all tip what we feel is fair.

Oh, and I gave the Maitre' d his $ because he moved us from a shared table to a private table for the three of us....my girls were acting anti-social.

Right, I understand that part. But when you prepay tips doesn't that go towards the $70 per person autotips?

Correct. The difference is if you go down the pre-paid road, they may not be adjusted afterwards.

On our recent cruise, here is exactly what I tipped....feel free;) to tell me what you think...either way:

Cabin Steward $20.00 Tipped him half-way through our 6-day cruise.

Maitre' d $20.00 Tipped him on last night.

Head Waiter $20.00 Tipped him on last night.

Assistant $10.00 Tipped him on last night.

Room Service $2.00 every time they came....(every night;)).

These were obviously just Carnival-related gratuities.....others included porters at port, airport, etc. (It really can get a bit crazy, right??!!).

This is certainly appropriate based on your later post that this was in addition to the auto or suggested gratuities.

If you prepay your gratuities, auto tips are not added to your S&S card. You cannot adjust them. You can always give additional cash tips.

I cruised with my two daughters so those tips were in addition to the $180.00 auto-tipped. It's probably more than most people do....unless I'm missing something here.

What do you tip, out of curiousity?

I don't think you read my whole post. I stated if what you tipped was in addition to the auto-tip, it was generous. (I thought the additional were for 2 people, but even for 3, it was fine).

As far as what I tip, we always do the auto-tip and then at least $20 to the steward, waiter and at least $10 to the assistant waiter. We only tip the Maitre d' $10. We also add $20 at least to the specialty restaurant.

On your original thread, you didn't say you kept the auto-tip on, you just mentioned amounts. That's why I gave you two answers. I think you got upset at the first one without reading through the entire post. YMMV.:)

Well' date=' surely your children eat somewhere.....that's what the gratuities are for. Your [b']dining room waiters also work the buffets and other eating venues onboard the ship[/b]. Just leave them on your account. It's easier than trying to remember who waited on your kids and when.....

The kids also sleep in the cabin, use the bathroom, leave a mess for the steward to clean.

Think of it as going out for dinner somewhere. Would you subtract the child's meal and tip only for adults? Probably not. Same on a ship.

So if the dining room waiters are working in the dining room how do they work in the buffet at dinner as well? The buffet gets $1 per person per day.

Your kids in the cabin.....The steward only cleans 1 toilet and shower which is less work than cleaning two cabins,so why the same tip as 2 cabins when the work is much less in one?:D

Going out at dinner? Adult meal costs $10 tip = $1.50

Kids meal cost $1.99 tip + .30

So using your analogy, it would be,and expected to be cheaper for kids then.

Steve

We've eaten breakfast from the buffets and in the dining room, lunch if at all pizza, burgers, etc but not the "lunch buffet", and dinner always in the dining room. During breakfast and lunch, we've seen our dinner waitstaff performing various duties on the Lido deck food stations, serving beverages (coffe and juice at breakfast, etc.) or clearing tables, or serving in the dining room. So, here's my question..... who's working the Lido deck buffet areas during regular dinner times?:confused:

We like Carnival's auto tip policy, and usually tip extra in cash throughout the week for whatever reason we feel like. The only reason I would remove an auto tip would be if there was a problem with a member of the service staff that could not be resolved by speaking with the crew member first and then if necessary their manager.

So far, this has been one of the most civilized tip threads I've seen here. Sure, there were some misunderstandings but it seems like cooler heads have prevailed. If only all the world's problems could be handled so easily!

During breakfast and lunch, we've seen our dinner waitstaff performing various duties on the Lido deck food stations, serving beverages (coffe and juice at breakfast, etc.) or clearing tables, or serving in the dining room. So, here's my question..... who's working the Lido deck buffet areas during regular dinner times?:confused:

!

What is there really to work?Any moron can clean off a table.Everyone seems to think its such a big deal when in reality that is what the cruise lines want you think. The amount of people who eat in the lido during dinner is much less than during the day but the reality is all they need is a table cleaner.

Just another myth they try and pass onto cruisers.Just like the crew must turn in all cash.

SO if you tip your waiter or steward on day 1,must they turn it in? We don't know if the auto tips will be removed do we? Or let me guess,they keep hundreds in their pocket,a list of every dollar from every person just in case they need to turn it in at cruise end if the autotip was removed.

If Waiters and room stewards must turn in cash,does the omlet guy need to as well?:D

Steve

My comment to the poster is that when their kids eat in the Kids Club or Adventure Club - they eat in the buffet - so the people they are removing the tips from are getting left neglicted. If they really want to do it right - just adjust the tips to increase the tips for the buffet areas for the child. But your child is missing out if they never eat in the dining room with you the whole vacation. My son since he was age 9, loves it. He always tries the one kids dining night - and always wishes he had skipped it.

This was not my experience. When we were on the Valor last week, the Camp Carnival kids ate in a section of Rosies that was shut down. The counselors prepped a couple of trays of food with the selections of the day on them, brought them to the kids and then prepared their plates based on each child's order. Then the camp staff cleaned up after the whole crew and moved on to their next activity. The kids were not served by the buffet or lido staff, their meals were served by the camp counselors. From what I could tell, they weren't even served the regular buffet food. They had things like burgers and fried cheese sticks that I never saw on the buffet.

My kids preferred the dining room, but I can certainly understand that some kids would rather eat with Camp Carnival. From what I've seen, your plan to give the dining room tips to the camp staff makes complete sense.

Archived