H.S. Senior Spring Break--No Way

AMEN! My thoughts exactly...this makes absolutely no sense to me.

By the way, it's not our place on this board to imply or comment on parenting skills, but some do anyway. I get your point here.

Ugh...seeing problems ahead for our June AOS cruise. Surprise trip for 18yr old daughter and her 17yr old best friend. Both excellent students and will be off to college this fall.

They will want to stick together and I know they would like to find a club for dancing/hanging out...doesn't sound like that is going to happen :(.

I'd bet that a 16-20 year old club would be PACKED. On our cruise Jesters was empty and the DJ was begging the 18 yo's to stay and have fun. They didn't, though, because they wanted to be with their 17 yo friends. I want to emphasize...they were not there to drink alcohol. They wanted to dance and have fun doing so. I think a 16-20 yo club (or something along that line) would be a great hit.

Good, but maybe they should just allow the 18 yr olds to be with the 17 yr olds if they are still in High School and have more activities for the 18-20 yr olds. Not sure if I want my DD to be with 20 yr olds. Just me though.

I'd bet that a 16-20 year old club would be PACKED. On our cruise Jesters was empty and the DJ was begging the 18 yo's to stay and have fun. They didn't, though, because they wanted to be with their 17 yo friends. I want to emphasize...they were not there to drink alcohol. They wanted to dance and have fun doing so. I think a 16-20 yo club (or something along that line) would be a great hit.

When my 16 year old daughter can go to a club with 20 year olds, we will stay home until she is older... Too much risk IMO, even with my National Honor Society student who I trust explicitly.

These are teens, even the best of whom, do not ALWAYS use good judgement - especially on a vacation with peers who they will never see again. Apparently you were never 19 or 20 years old??? Let's be realistic - why do you think Spring Break in Cancun IS what it is?

I also have an 18 yr old senior and have yet to book our annual cruise because he has enjoyed the teen areas in the past and will be too old to attend. There are supposedly a few 18-20 yr old mixers but that doesn't help if you have a 17 and a 18 yr old.

We have also seen that 18 yr olds are sometimes let into the teen area depending on the staff. Last June on the Mariner, my son hung out in Fuel and the living room with 18 yr olds since they were allowing them in. The prior year, June 2007, they weren't allowing 18 yr olds in. My son saw them turn away a few kids that were with a bunch of 17 yr olds. The whole group stayed out of the teen area all week since they couldn't hang out together.

RCI really needs to come up with a solution.

do your kids have curfews at home?

also, does your state have a curfew, I know all 17 year olds here in florida have to be home by 1 am or they can actually get ticketed and the parents have to come get them.

I am not from Florida but I think you might be referring to a driving curfew which obviously these kids are not doing on a ship.

When my 16 year old daughter can go to a club with 20 year olds, we will stay home until she is older... Too much risk IMO, even with my National Honor Society student who I trust explicitly.

These are teens, even the best of whom, do not ALWAYS use good judgement - especially on a vacation with peers who they will never see again. Apparently you were never 19 or 20 years old??? Let's be realistic - why do you think Spring Break in Cancun IS what it is?

I think Spring Break in Cancun and it's serious problems is mostly due to ALCOHOL. We are discussing a non-alcoholic club. Each teen has to deal with others not using good judgement, and they will always be exposed to it.

Yes, I was 19 or 20 once, and I raised two sons, one of which used alcohol too much in high school. I know what I'm talking about.

To reiterate: older teens hang out together anyway. Give them an alcohol-free environment to enjoy themselves, and the rest is up to them, but without the alcohol.

It would make more sense for all ages if RC grouped kids by grade. They could use a current report card (feel free to black out the grades !) or student ID. In the summer, group kids by their upcoming grade. Then the "teen club" would be determined by whether or not you were done with high school, not whether you are 18 or not. I agree that the vast difference in social outlets provided to 17 vs 18 year olds makes it hard for many families to enjoy a cruise when their kids can't easily hang out together.

I also have an 18 yr old senior and have yet to book our annual cruise because he has enjoyed the teen areas in the past and will be too old to attend. There are supposedly a few 18-20 yr old mixers but that doesn't help if you have a 17 and a 18 yr old.

We have also seen that 18 yr olds are sometimes let into the teen area depending on the staff. Last June on the Mariner, my son hung out in Fuel and the living room with 18 yr olds since they were allowing them in. The prior year, June 2007, they weren't allowing 18 yr olds in. My son saw them turn away a few kids that were with a bunch of 17 yr olds. The whole group stayed out of the teen area all week since they couldn't hang out together.

RCI really needs to come up with a solution.

You would think that RCI would want to make these kids happy so that they will return with families in the future. My daughter is CONVINCED that RCI did not even want them on the ship. I know for a fact she will never cruise with RCI in the future and that is a shame because RCI IS a great cruise line. I just wish that things had been better. Even after having parents ask nicely for some "wiggle room", RCI would not budge.

It would make more sense for all ages if RC grouped kids by grade. They could use a current report card (feel free to black out the grades !) or student ID. In the summer' date=' group kids by their upcoming grade. Then the "teen club" would be determined by whether or not you were done with high school, not whether you are 18 or not. I agree that the vast difference in social outlets provided to 17 vs 18 year olds makes it hard for many families to enjoy a cruise when their kids can't easily hang out together.[/quote']

GREAT IDEA! I hope RCI reads this board.

We just got off a cruise with our 18 year old. We knew going into it that his options were limited and we were correct, as they certainly were. There is a huge gap with RCI cruises, the 18 to 21's don't have many options.

As a result he spent most of his time with us, which was ok too:)

This is one of the reasons we probably won't do a family cruise this year or next because one son is over 18 and one is just under...

There is no reason why RCCL couldn't figure out a way to keep kids that are in high school in the teen club (whether or not they are 18).

Even the police use discretion. As you say; they can get ticketed, but I am sure they are not ALWAYS ticketed. These cruise ships should be the same. If the kids are playing basketball, board games in the game room, sitting in the hot tub, etc. then they are not causing trouble and should be left alone to enjoy their trip. They should not have to be confined to their rooms. If the parents are okay with it, then I believe the cruiseline should be as well.

There's a discretion in tickets, but there's no discretion in going home at 1 am.

Last year we cruised with our 15, 17, and 19 year olds. The cruise line was VERY strict about keeping the age groups separated. So much so that they would not even let the 17 y/o in to look for the 19 y/o. This was in January. We have been on Summer cruises were patrols seem are even more evident.

Our first cruise with our kids, they were 15 going on 16 having a birthday on board and the other was 17. They did not enjoy the cruise all that much but made the best of it. They did not cruise again untill they were 21 with friends and they fully enjoyed and are now diamond members also. They enjoyed cruising so much more when they were treated by staff better when they were older. My daughter likes cruising so much she is getting married while on our next one. I think cruising is not set up for teens 13-17 and I wish we would have waited till our kids were over 18 to take them on there first cruise. I still think that cruises are a great vacation for anyone over the age of 18. If and when my daughter has kids, if she wanted to go cruising I would rather her leave the kids with us and we will take them to Disney and the adult kids can have there fun on the ship with no worry if the kids will enjoy themself. Flame away!?

I have a 16 year old and a 19 year old (boy's). We were planning a cruise for summer 2010, however they both told us they would rather wait 2 more years, (then they would be 18 and 21) so there is more to do for them. 18 can dance, 21 can drink. I told them I don't blame them for waiting.

We also just returned from a cruise on the Adventure of the Seas (April 12+). I'm sorry to hear that your young people were disappointed. What may have been a negative for you group was a very positive experience for the two of us. Many times we commented on how well-behaved the young people were on that cruise. We were greatly impressed. It was our understanding that there was a large number of young people aboard...however, due to their behavior, it never seemed as such. Maybe the enforcement of the rules and the curfew helped.

The first time our family (of 10) cruised the younger ones had a wonderful time. Our family spent a lot of the evening hours together, old and young (high school and college age) alike, and at the end of the cruise everyone wanted to book another. None of them were enrolled in any type of organized activity and found plenty of pleasure in the cruise experience.

Cruising may not be for everyone.

I see why the ship would want to keep age groups separate, but I definitely see how it would be frustrating and upsetting for siblings that would like to hang out together, and for friends with birthdays a few months apart who are separated.

Maybe some kind of lounge area where siblings could hang out, or a rule allowing 18 year olds who are still in HS would help? I'm glad I didn't go on my first cruise until I was 21+ because I was able to avoid this issue

Our first cruise with our kids, they were 15 going on 16 having a birthday on board and the other was 17. They did not enjoy the cruise all that much but made the best of it. They did not cruise again untill they were 21 with friends and they fully enjoyed and are now diamond members also. They enjoyed cruising so much more when they were treated by staff better when they were older. My daughter likes cruising so much she is getting married while on our next one. I think cruising is not set up for teens 13-17 and I wish we would have waited till our kids were over 18 to take them on there first cruise. I still think that cruises are a great vacation for anyone over the age of 18. If and when my daughter has kids, if she wanted to go cruising I would rather her leave the kids with us and we will take them to Disney and the adult kids can have there fun on the ship with no worry if the kids will enjoy themself. Flame away!?

No flames...

But having gone on multiple cruises with kids that were not yet teenagers - I would have to disagree that cruises are best for those over 18.

We have been lucky enough that my two girls have been in the same age grouping on each of our cruises. I would consider waiting if necessary if it turns out they would be separated. I would also think the cruise line might come up with a different grouping to accomodate teens. If not 16-20...maybe 17-20?

We aren't to that age yet...it is something I will have to watch out for.

Most of the younger kids are more clever than you think. My nephew(15) and his friend found others their age and had no problem getting alcohol. They brought it back from ports and found others to buy it for them. They were drinking all the time.

Most of the younger kids are more clever than you think. My nephew(15) and his friend found others their age and had no problem getting alcohol. They brought it back from ports and found others to buy it for them. They were drinking all the time.

This is why now we cannot bring our own wine or alcohol on board from home or ports anymore on RCCI, because of underage drinking and people going overboard (falling or jumping). That is also why under 17 are NOT put with the 18 and over, because of drinking and rape. RCCI in protecting themselves and the ones under 18. This is why there are so many rules on RCCI. And what year was your nephew on this cruise, it very hard to bring it from a port and to your cabin now and for the last few years?

I guess I don't understand why they can't make their own (clean) fun. No one has a deck of cards or knows games that don't require equipment? There are no recreational opportunities or places to dance?

When I was young, we didn't have any place to go, either, and we just hung out with each other, talked and laughed. I have not yet come to understand the need to be constantly entertained. We were brought up to figure it out ourselves, make our own fun, entertain ourselves.

I realize I could get slammed pretty hard, but, I'm just saying, I don't get it. Why must there always be "something to do"?

I guess I don't understand why they can't make their own (clean) fun. No one has a deck of cards or knows games that don't require equipment? There are no recreational opportunities or places to dance?

When I was young, we didn't have any place to go, either, and we just hung out with each other, talked and laughed. I have not yet come to understand the need to be constantly entertained. We were brought up to figure it out ourselves, make our own fun, entertain ourselves.

I realize I could get slammed pretty hard, but, I'm just saying, I don't get it. Why must there always be "something to do"?

I agree with you so no flames! I am glad RCCL have these rules and are very strict with them. We have run into that problem with my daughter because she is always the youngest in her grade. I just tell her that life is not always fair and learn to live with it.

I have a 16 year old and a 19 year old (boy's). We were planning a cruise for summer 2010, however they both told us they would rather wait 2 more years, (then they would be 18 and 21) so there is more to do for them. 18 can dance, 21 can drink. I told them I don't blame them for waiting.

My son just turned 21 in March. Between 18 and 20 , he always said "its no fun when everywhere you go some security guard is telling you

"Sorry son, you can't go in there"

"Sorry young man, you have to go in the other area"

"Sorry, the young gentleman will have to wait out here for you"

And I understand his point.

In the fall him and I have a father/son trip planned to Las Vegas. MTV has made it look like the coolest place on earth for young people *LOL*, and he has been dying to go.

My dad and I had planned to do the same thing many many moons ago, but he passed away before we had the chance. So I think I am even more excited about this trip.

I agree but you know what? a couple of teens sit down at a table or on a couple of lounge chairs ...even at home if they hang out at the sea wall, or in a school yard and just hang out and talk or play cards. someone will eventually come by and tell them to move along, or call a cop, or security.

I am a dispatcher for our local police and fire department. You know how many calls we get on a Friday or Saturday night that there are kids hanging out here or there . I ask them what they are doing wrong.

Sure there are your trouble makers , but most times you just get some crank that will say "They are just sitting there, but they don't belong there and I pay taxes , I want a cop.

Archived