Azamara Cutting Back on Cruise Critic Party??

tgg

Well smack my B*M for enjoying a free drink and a few canapes at a CC get together. All the months I spend insulting people on these threads, it is nice to actually meet them in the flesh so that they can pay homage.......just a joke.

We had a great time at the Quest CC get together last year and just as a final few words, I have NEVER EVER worn a name badge anywhere and I am not aware that they collect any personal data other than I like the occasional drink.

Cheers....hiccup

Brian

and if you are talking about people collecting info on roll calls you do not need to give it to them - we never give out our room number but the rest, (name, where we come from) I do not see a problem

I have had the option of wearing a name badge and I did because it really helped to find all whom I have been swapping info on the roll calls

Oh and whats the problem about the cruise line providing a drink - same as they did on our last trip for the Service get together, the Captains Club, etc etc - whereis the difference?

GAWD............if you don't like the idea of the party-don't go. I've never even seen badges......As someone else said- cruising is a business, a BIG business, and the party probably falls under the category of public relations, and advertising.

People on CC are verbal-sometimes good and sometimes not so good. The cruise lines want to keep us happy and are concerned about any bad press they might get on these boards.

Hence happy public relations. Now they're being bashed for giving us a NICE party. Geesh-lighten up.

You don't have to provide your full legal first and last name to anyone?

You don't have to provide your cabin number?

The ship already has that information. To sign up for the party, all you have to tell Azamara is your name. (You have to use your full legal first and last name to board the ship. It has to match your passport. This is nothing new.) Nobody other than Azamara has to know your cabin number.

You seem to have a privacy issue that most of us are not understanding. Maybe you can explain it differently to help us.

The ship already has that information. To sign up for the party, all you have to tell Azamara is your name. (You have to use your full legal first and last name to board the ship. It has to match your passport. This is nothing new.) Nobody other than Azamara has to know your cabin number.

You seem to have a privacy issue that most of us are not understanding. Maybe you can explain it differently to help us.

Yes, I do have a privacy "issue". :)

The fewer bits of information that are tied together, the better. (You just may want to trust me about that even if you see nothing wrong about it yourself.)

I have no problem with the cruise line having my full legal name. I just want them to keep it to themselves. I don't want it outside my door for all to see (Princess), welcoming me to my cabin on my TV screen where wandering travel agents and others might take a photo of it, etc.

I also have an "issue" with personal information being displayed on a badge, listed on a "roll call", added to a website, etc.

(I have seen many instances online of Cruise Critic members with badges displayed right under their cute little faces. Extensive videos, too. Many of these photos and videos made by individual members and worn at parties where people have been photographed remain on the Internet.) I just shake my head and hope that no one who might want to do harm sees them.

As background, I have personal friends and family members who have had their identities stolen, and I know others who have had their homes burglarized while they were on vacation, and I have friends who are detectives, attorneys, a parole agent, system analysts, programmer analysts, etc. as well as all the numerous "normal" folks with whom I am related or acquainted, none of whom has ever been on the wrong side of the law.

It doesn't take more than 5 minutes to make a profile (for free) on anyone who posts online and gives out several pieces of information.

Do you think that prisoners, criminals, spammers, naughty teen-aged whiz kids and lesser folks have no access to the same threads you are reading right now? Do you think they can't follow the links in posts? Do you think that if you write "email me at dogs at Cruiser dot com [change dogs to cats])" that anyone (person or software) is fooled?

Remember "Hill Street Blues?" Keep to the admonition: Be careful out there.

It really, truly, does not make you a less friendly person.

To Gillianrose,

When you hit on "Register for a Azamara/Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle" at the top of this page, you will be immediately directed to the appropriate place ***** Azamara's website. You have to give your booking number. Since you feel so strongly, I guess you really don't want to chance something like that. You have to go with what your feelings are and I respect that. I have been on over 35 cruises and have been to about 10 or so Cruise Critic parties and have never been robbed at home or contacted by anyone I didn't know. I have an unlisted telephone number and seldom get any phone calls from anyone I don't want to speak with.

Sheila

To Gillianrose,

When you hit on "Register for a Azamara/Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle" at the top of this page, you will be immediately directed to the appropriate place ***** Azamara's website. You have to give your booking number. Since you feel so strongly, I guess you really don't want to chance something like that. You have to go with what your feelings are and I respect that. I have been on over 35 cruises and have been to about 10 or so Cruise Critic parties and have never been robbed at home or contacted by anyone I didn't know. I have an unlisted telephone number and seldom get any phone calls from anyone I don't want to speak with.

Sheila

Thank you, Sheila, for the detailed response, although I'm not clear about whether Cruise Critic has access to the first and last name and/or booking number in the process you stated. (I've never clicked.)

As to phone calls, I'm guessing, that even you have been the recipient of at least a dozen or so of those unsolicited "This is the second notice of your warranty...blah, blah, blah" calls, since our phone numbers are also unlisted and we get those annoying calls on our landline home and office phones and cell phones.

Is there anyone here who has NOT gotten those calls (not counting those of you who have Caller ID block on your phones)? If there is a way for them to start making calls to stateroom phones on ships (and there probably is), I guess that is next. :mad:

Am I the only one that thinks this is getting off point?:confused: I thought CC was about learning more things about the cruises and things to help us all have the best possible vacation and not personal concerns. I was a flight attendant for 27 years and a private investigator also and between those two, I have learned, as I think most have just living, that everyone has different opinions and concerns-like one unnamed person who is concerned about kids on the cruise, smoking, personal privacy, tables too close to each other in restaurants, etc. Does not have them a bad person, NO-just someone who has needs and wants control-me too-I am a control freak, but I find I can work around them and still be happy and pleasant to be around-I hope!! Please, let's get back on talking about cruising and not solving personal problems on CC. Thank you:D

I think this thread is just GREAT.

Yes your ID can be stolen, but I am not sure who would really want mine, but at the end of the day most of this theft is from Credit Cards.....so keep hold of them.

If any of you are on my next trip please do NOT ask for my full name, it is a secret even if we become friends....even my Wife doesnt have this info.

I think I heard someone behind me !!!!

Gotta go......I just saw Big Brother

Brian

Hi Sheila

How very sweet of you to say that........I would love the opportunity of meeting you too.

Life is way too short to be so serious about things that just do not matter.

A tout a l'heure

Brian

You don't have to provide your full legal first and last name to anyone?

You don't have to provide your cabin number?

Nope, not for a Cruise Critic Party. Someone on the roll call emails HAL and they set it up. They had me as Jade & DH.

I am new to the CC, saw something about the party being cutback and can only say, I picked this cruise b/c it is supposed to be upscale. I think the old version of the party is the way to go. We are spending enough money on the cruise, drinks the rest of the trip et al--the first party should be good, and all-inclusive. I appreciate a free drink or two!

Just to clarify. When you register for a Cruise Critic Party with either Azamara or Celebrity ( cannot speak for other lines) the registration is done by the cruise line. The only thing that Cruise Critic actually does is provide a link to the registration site. Everything else is done by the cruise line. No information is shared with any other cruiser or participant.

I think that where some confusion is occurring is that Roll Call Groups often put together their own, not affiliated with either the cruise line or with Cruise Critic, social gatherings ( most commonly at sail away) and here information is often shared among those concerned including names, hometowns, stateroom numbers, etc. But these gatherings are totally voluntary, no one HAS to share anything, no one HAS to wear a name tag ( I hate the d*mn things myself) or attend the gathering. These social gatherings do not have any official status and nothing is provided by either Cruise Critic or the cruise line.

In either case, you do not have to participate; if you don't want to be involved then don't register and/or don't go. It really isn't any more complicated than that.

We have just got back from 24 days on Quest. We had more than 25 sign up for the cruise critic party but it was quite clear that they will ALWAYS host the event despite the number who sign up. They see it a very important and just one of the many ways they seek feedback. The only problem is, if there are less than 25 singed up, Miami does not send the names to the ship and the party has to be advertised in the daily program.

Sue

We have just got back from 24 days on Quest. We had more than 25 sign up for the cruise critic party but it was quite clear that they will ALWAYS host the event despite the number who sign up. They see it a very important and just one of the many ways they seek feedback. The only problem is, if there are less than 25 singed up, Miami does not send the names to the ship and the party has to be advertised in the daily program.

Sue

That is great and the way it is handled by HAL. The difference is that with HAL someone from the roll call will contact ship services and request space for x number of people.

Everyone is different, and that is great. Some people are social butterflies (like me) and others have personal concerns that some of us may not understand. Not a problem. I do try to go thru life in a positive manner and also try to not let the little things (some may not think they are so little) bother me.

Bad things can happen no matter what precautions you may take.

I always enjoy the Meet and Mingle parties no matter which cruise line. I also attend sailaway parties the are arranged thru the roll calls. Yes, I wear my silly little name tag. My screen name is MY name-proud of it (maybe I was just not creative enough to come up with something cutsey). If someone does not want to attend or not wear a name tag, that is their option---no big deal. We all do what is best for us.

What is served at a meet and mingle is not of importance, it is the opportunity to finally meet fellow travelers, to share stories of past travels and those planned and to experience things that are new to your own life. Of course, a glass of wine (or two or three) will not be rejected. ;)Juice or coffee is okay as well.

Brian, you are just tooooooo funny. Watch for us on a rollcall-you sound like you would be fun to cruise with. By the way, that we me that you heard and I got you on film---posted it on youtube already. :eek::rolleyes::D Just joking.

Sure hope everyone had a great day and that all your future cruises go as perfectly as mine do.

Wow Robb.......my head is getting so big !!

I really do appreciate your kind comments and yes, I do try and maintain a light hearted approach to life and these Boards.

What with the Swine Flu and the recession there is way too much else more serious going on in the World than worrying about Name badges on a CC Party......and lets not even consider the real problems of the world.

Anyway I hope we can all meet one day but I doubt there is a ship on the seas that would hold all my "Fans ".....maybe a rowboat.

Brian

Sue

Hi, Sue,

I was also on the 24 day cruise. We had 2 CC meet and greets, both supplied with champagene, hors dorves, and officers. Sue (the cruise director) was there to meet and greet all of us and talk to each of us individually.

We started the cruise with two days of ports, so our first sea day was our first CC party. Then we had a run of 8 days at sea and on one of these sea days was our second meet and greet.

There is no "cutback" on CC meet and greets. The cruise line WANTS our input.

Wow Robb.......my head is getting so big !!

I really do appreciate your kind comments and yes, I do try and maintain a light hearted approach to life and these Boards.

What with the Swine Flu and the recession there is way too much else more serious going on in the World than worrying about Name badges on a CC Party......and lets not even consider the real problems of the world.

Anyway I hope we can all meet one day but I doubt there is a ship on the seas that would hold all my "Fans ".....maybe a rowboat.

Brian

Hello Brian,

We're booked for the transfer from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino airport on Aug. 23 after the Best of Italy cruise. So it means you'll be attending the CC party on that cruise -- then I look forward to meeting you; now with all the talk here and words of your reputation:rolleyes:, should I bring my autograph book?!:D

Kidding aside, I agree with you and Robb. Life is stressful enough, we must find a way to lighten up and give our body/mind/soul a bit of a break.

Back to the thread, when we sailed on Journey last year, only about 10 people had registered for the CC party, but the party was held and it was just lovely. The top brass was there, bubbly and hors-d'oeuvres were served and we got the impression they valued our opinions and ideas. The attendees were also able to meet in person for the first time and finalize arrangements for private tours. Overall, it was a winning event for both the cruise line and the passengers.

Definitely looking forward to the Best of Italy on Aug. 9. See you then!

Sylvain

Archived