Azamara Cutting Back on Cruise Critic Party??

tgg

I went to sign up for the Cruise Critic party for our upcoming cruise, I noticed a change in the description of the get together. On our winter cruise, there was champagne, mixed drinks, and elegant hors d'oeuvres. The party was given even if there were fewer than 25 people. The party is now described as follows:

"If a minimum of 25 people are registered 3 days prior to your sail date, you will receive a confirmation email and you will have an opportunity to meet your new Cruise Critic friends on board at the Azamara Cruises/Cruise Critic Social party. Light refreshments, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks will be provided, compliments of Azamara. A bar will be available where guests may purchase alcoholic beverages. If your party does not reach the 25 person minimum, you will receive a cancellation email from Azamara Cruises."

Sounds like the economy has taken its toll. Too bad.:( Guess it's nice that they do it at all.

Hi Tgg !

I do not believe much has changed. There has always "officially" been a 25 person minimum, though we've seen reports of smaller gatherings. Another thing to consider, is the time of day your party is. If it's in the morning, you wouldnt have items such as hors d'oeuvres & champagne etc, it's more likely to be pastries, juice and coffee.

I am fairly certain the party will be very enjoyable. Please let us know about it, when you return home. Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi Andy,

On our 3 Azamara cruises, the party was always before dinner, never in the morning. It was a cocktail party. Our June cruise has fewer than 25 people signed up and I'm wondering if it will be cancelled. It would be a pity because it was a nice way to meet the people we'd been chatting with on this site. Many of the senior officers attended and it was fun to meet the people in charge of the many departments on the ship.

Perhaps someone who has been on a recent cruise can comment.

Hi,

My DH and I came home from our Azamara Journey Mediteranian Cruise on 4/16/09

Since we only had one Sea-day, later in the cruise, our CC Party was on the first Day, in the afternoon. After the long flight everyone was very tired, not everyone showed up.

Still, we had Champagne or any other mixed drinks and elegant appetizers.

I don't remember meeting some People, I was too out of it, especially after several glasses of Champagne.

Hi Andy,

On our 3 Azamara cruises, the party was always before dinner, never in the morning. It was a cocktail party. Our June cruise has fewer than 25 people signed up and I'm wondering if it will be cancelled. It would be a pity because it was a nice way to meet the people we'd been chatting with on this site. Many of the senior officers attended and it was fun to meet the people in charge of the many departments on the ship.

Perhaps someone who has been on a recent cruise can comment.

Hi Tgg !

On our sailings, it was held in the morning, and it was thrown together at the last minute, because I requested it. Even on short notice, they did an excellent job ! In the early days, Azamara did not offer advance registration for the Meet and Mingle. Obviously, things have changed for the better. I agree that it's a plus, if the Meet and Mingle is held later in the day. Hopefully, someone whom has recently sailed with Azamara, can update us.

Just sign up for the June 14 on the Quest and it said that there are only 2 people signed up. Seems like something isn't right.

Hi Macruise !

Please refer to this post, for some additional information. Thank You !

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19256045&postcount=6

We were just on the 3/20 TA, on the Journey, and they had a lovely party, with alcoholic drinks, nice food, etc. Not just cookies, like some lines. I can't remember what time the party was........ I just posted a review. Great trip!

There seems to be a disconnect between the Azamara ships and the Azamara web site. Perhaps Celebrity changed the way they do the get together and it was changed on the Azamara site as well. I'm glad to hear that the get together is being done the way it has been in the past. It's a great party.

was on the Quest from HKG on 28Feb2009 to SIN.

the web site said that 30 people signed up.

separate e mail was received prior to sailing

congratulating us for reaching goal of 25.

we had three days a sea. No Cruise Critic Party

was sked.

was on the Quest from HKG on 28Feb2009 to SIN.

the web site said that 30 people signed up.

separate e mail was received prior to sailing

congratulating us for reaching goal of 25.

we had three days a sea. No Cruise Critic Party

was sked.

That seems very strange..did anyone that you know ask about it?

Jancruz1

Why should a small group of 25-50 people out of an entire ship full of people be singled out to receive a party and get to meet senior officers and get special benefits such as drinks, etc. regardless whether those passengers have taken cruises with Azamara, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean? It's not a repeater's party, not one based on line loyalty which the line puts on anyway. I think it's fine if people on a cruise want to put together their own party but I don't see why Cruise Critic or Azamara has to be involved in an OFFICIAL capacity anyway. I may be in the minority here on Cruise Critic, but roll calls become very annoying when the main topic becomes constant imploring of other people on a roll call to sign up for these parties.

We have cruised for many years and have always met some nice folks on our own on the ship. Without parties. Without BADGES.

I would prefer Azamara and other cruise lines concentrate on providing the best they can onboard for ALL passengers on each sailing and not feel as if they have to cater to a small but perhaps vocal group of people who post on Cruise Critic or any other forum.

Why should a small group of 25-50 people out of an entire ship full of people be singled out to receive a party and get to meet senior officers and get special benefits such as drinks, etc. regardless whether those passengers have taken cruises with Azamara, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean? It's not a repeater's party, not one based on line loyalty which the line puts on anyway. I think it's fine if people on a cruise want to put together their own party but I don't see why Cruise Critic or Azamara has to be involved in an OFFICIAL capacity anyway. I may be in the minority here on Cruise Critic, but roll calls become very annoying when the main topic becomes constant imploring of other people on a roll call to sign up for these parties.

We have cruised for many years and have always met some nice folks on our own on the ship. Without parties. Without BADGES.

I would prefer Azamara and other cruise lines concentrate on providing the best they can onboard for ALL passengers on each sailing and not feel as if they have to cater to a small but perhaps vocal group of people who post on Cruise Critic or any other forum.

Well, Celebrity Century refused to give us any party because it was only a 5 night cruise. This was even though someone who sailed Celebrity multiple times per year tried to call. It was a major turnoff to ever sailing on Celebrity again. You are right. They do not have to do anything but we were just asking for coffee tea and cookies and a space. On the other hand on Eurodam 3 night last August-September we had over 80 people and HAL provided the Crows Nest, passed appetizers and alcohol and Senior officers. They even told us a press release was coming that day announcing Bermuda for 2010.

There seems to be a disconnect between the Azamara ships and the Azamara web site. Perhaps Celebrity changed the way they do the get together and it was changed on the Azamara site as well. I'm glad to hear that the get together is being done the way it has been in the past. It's a great party.

Its not quite a disconnect - the official line in 25 people - only if it reaches 25 does Head Office transfer the names to the ship so invites can be issued. When we were on Quest in January a few days before sailing we got the standard email - you did not reach 25 so no party.

On board, we noticed in the dailies reference to a party which 10 of us went to. Heike the Hotel Director explained that she still likes to do the party regardless of the numbers and that as she does not have names from HO she puts the note in the activities for the day. She also said it worked better as invites did not get lost in delivery

It was a lovely party the first morning at sea with champagne and beautiful canapes

Actually, there are currently 67 of us signed up for the party on the May 16 Quest sailing. I think that these parties are nice affairs, it is interesting to talk to the ship's senior staff, and I have been told that the feedback that they get from these parties is useful to them.

Don't forget that word of mouth advertising is priceless when it's positive, and these boards do provide a lot of mouth-advertising.........

I agree with gillianrose. I don't see why Azamara or any cruise line should do something. I get the feeling that it's people wanting something for nothing and a free drink rather than a social get together.

If people really wanted to get together for socialization purposes, they could simply agree to meet at a certain area of the ship and meet each other there.

I agree with gillianrose. I don't see why Azamara or any cruise line should do something. I get the feeling that it's people wanting something for nothing and a free drink rather than a social get together.

If people really wanted to get together for socialization purposes, they could simply agree to meet at a certain area of the ship and meet each other there.

Well that's certainly true for those who have signed up for the roll call, but what about the ship staff. I agree that Azamara does get something out of hosting these parties - they get good PR, they get feedback, and they can "sell" another cruise, albeit perhaps indirectly. I have a feeling that if Azamara could not quantify the benefits of the parties to the company and have those be greater than the cost of hosting the parties, the parties would stop. I know, I'm just being a capitalist curmudgeon.:eek:

Sam

Exactly. Plus, we are opposed to wearing badges and the accumulation of personal data "requested" in order to make up those badges.

It's a social get together, not a bunch of people looking for a free drink. People make plans for private tours together, and get together for dinner. Topics raised on Cruise Critic get discussed. Senior staff has a chance to answer questions on a one-to-one basis.

If it didn't pay for Azamara to host these parties, they wouldn't. They're running a business.

Badges? I've never seen one. Tongue in cheek?

It's a social get together, not a bunch of people looking for a free drink. People make plans for private tours together, and get together for dinner. Topics raised on Cruise Critic get discussed. Senior staff has a chance to answer questions on a one-to-one basis.

If it didn't pay for Azamara to host these parties, they wouldn't. They're running a business.

Badges? I've never seen one. Tongue in cheek?

I agree.

Its just a nice thing that cruise lines do. It costs them very little, and it gives us a chance to meet some like-minded people as well as some of the ships company in a very relaxed atmosphere.

The world needs more meet and mingles.:D

I am a little confused on why people are so upset at the idea of the CC parties on board being offered:confused:. Yes, people can meet lots of nice people on the cruise without them, but is available, what is the down side? My husband and I travel by ourselves and the idea of meeting people who have been writing on CC is great for us. If you do not like the CC party on board, the do not go and if it irrates you when people talk about them, then, just do not read about them. For whatever reason, if the cruise lines want to offer the party, I think it is a nice idea and we will take advantage of it, if there are enough people signed up. If not, I will not get all bent out of shape. After just finding CC a few months ago, I have enjoyed reading everyone comments and it has helped me connect with some nice people whom I will be going on private tours with. All a good thing.

Life is short, live it :D, don't complain :eek: about it!!;):D

Archived