Azamara Cutting Back on Cruise Critic Party??

tgg

I just got home from 2 back to back cruises on Journey, April 25 and May 2. There was a CC party for both weeks. It was held at 7:00pm the day we sailed. Although we were told over 25 people had signed up, not all showed at each party. They served wine, champagne, and hors douveres. You could ask for a drink if you didn't want one of those beverages (which I did). We went around the room and introduced ourselves by our screen names and real names. It was nice to do this at the beginning of the week so we know who we all are after posting here and on our own roll calls. Plus the staff knows who the active CC posters are and who to get feedback and ask our opinions from (which they did a lot).

On our 2 cruises there was a party almost every day. There was the CC party, Welcome Aboard Captain's party, repeaters party, back to back party, Captain's Club party. I wouldn't say AZ is cutting back or skimping on the parties.

I go to Office Max, Office Depot (or the like) and get a package of blank business cards. I go to http://www.avery.com and get the template for printing business cards. I design my own PERSONAL cards for my cruising and print out a few pages (I think there are 10 cards per sheet).

Share them with your new found friends from CC.

We were just on in March in the Carib. on Journey and had several wonderful parties put on by Azamara. Included the Captain and senior staff and our wonderful CC/Captain's Club hostess! They were happy to have us there and they were more than vocal about how they read the CC boards and how important the input they receive is to them. Name tags...I brought some that CC members could fill out if they wanted to...list...made that up off the roll call from the information CC members provided .."official list"...that was created by linking to and/or going to the Azamara website on your own. Great party YES! Great chance to meet other CC members YES! I appreciate that there is concern regarding giving out your information...but I don't think that CC members and/or Azamara asks you to do that in order to attend a fun filled time to meet your fellow passengers...and if you feel uncertain about any of this then please just don't participate. LuAnn

I just got home from 2 back to back cruises on Journey, April 25 and May 2. There was a CC party for both weeks. It was held at 7:00pm the day we sailed. Although we were told over 25 people had signed up, not all showed at each party. They served wine, champagne, and hors douveres. You could ask for a drink if you didn't want one of those beverages (which I did). We went around the room and introduced ourselves by our screen names and real names. It was nice to do this at the beginning of the week so we know who we all are after posting here and on our own roll calls. Plus the staff knows who the active CC posters are and who to get feedback and ask our opinions from (which they did a lot).

On our 2 cruises there was a party almost every day. There was the CC party, Welcome Aboard Captain's party, repeaters party, back to back party, Captain's Club party. I wouldn't say AZ is cutting back or skimping on the parties.

Hey Susie, welcome home. How was the second cruise?

As of CC parties, it is a great way for the lines to get business and develop some loyalty. If someone doesn't want to go, they are never forced to, regardless whether they post on CC boards.

I am fascinated by the party on the Quest for this Saturday's sailing; we have 75 people registered for it and I just haven't seen those kind of numbers on any sailing that I've been on. Wonder where they'll host it???

Hey Susie, welcome home. How was the second cruise?

The second week was a bit better than the first only because the sun was out every day! We had just as much fun playing trivia every day, the ports were wonderful, the service on board still excellent. Did you know a hundred people stayed on for the back to backs? For the guest entertainment they brought on a violinist who was excellent.

Just to clarify. When you register for a Cruise Critic Party with either Azamara or Celebrity ( cannot speak for other lines) the registration is done by the cruise line. The only thing that Cruise Critic actually does is provide a link to the registration site. Everything else is done by the cruise line. No information is shared with any other cruiser or participant.

Thank you for the explanation.

As of CC parties, it is a great way for the lines to get business and develop some loyalty. If someone doesn't want to go, they are never forced to, regardless whether they post on CC boards.

Parties are fine, but I don't see how they contribute to "getting business" or to developing loyalty. Who would actually choose to cruise on a particular line just to attend one short party? EVERY line and many travel agent consortiums offer cocktail parties. It didn't start with Cruise Critic.

Consortium-sponsored parties often offer the most unrestricted amounts and types of free drinks, from my experience.

Perhaps, for some people, the Cruise Critic party is about free drinks. For the rest of us, however, it is about meeting the people who have posted on our roll call, often for several months.

For those of us who have arranged private tours, it is our first chance to meet the people with whom we will be spending considerable time in the days ahead. The party is also about meeting the ship's senior staff and being able to ask questions in a small, friendly, group setting or one-on-one.

Drinks are inexpensive. Access to the people who run the ship is priceless.

The implicit message of these parties is "We care about you and what you think." IMHO this builds loyalty and repeat business. As a marketing person, I can tell you that it is easier and less costly to get repeat business from a happy customer than to cultivate a new one.

Well said. AND there is no question that the feedback that the frontline ship's managers receive is wanted, used, and appreciated. This is one of the advantages of the smaller ship, the passenger's wants can get "upstairs" and often can be accommodated. The ship's officers of the Azamara Journey and Quest certainly give the impression that they are interested and care.

Perhaps, for some people, the Cruise Critic party is about free drinks. For the rest of us, however, it is about meeting the people who have posted on our roll call, often for several months.

For those of us who have arranged private tours, it is our first chance to meet the people with whom we will be spending considerable time in the days ahead. The party is also about meeting the ship's senior staff and being able to ask questions in a small, friendly, group setting or one-on-one.

The implicit message of these parties is "We care about you and what you think." IMHO this builds loyalty and repeat business. As a marketing person, I can tell you that it is easier and less costly to get repeat business from a happy customer than to cultivate a new one.

Tgg,

You said it PERFECTLY. Somehow a "marketing person" can get right to the point of the discussion.

BTW, on my last cruise on the Journey, passengers were able to not ONLY visit the kitchen galley area, but ALSO the bridge and engine room. How is that for "openness"?

If you saw my earlier posting, I said BRING BUSINESS CARDS with you. I create "special" cruise business cards using my home computer for the meet and greets and any other special friends I have met along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Could not have said it better! And as a "marketing person" I also agree! How fun to meet the people you have "talked" to (sometimes for over a year!) and then meet staff on board! It's not about the "free drinks"...it's about the whole wonderful experience of Cruise Critic! We now have friends all over the world who we have met and kept in contact with for many years...in fact, we just got back from Vancouver, where we spent an extra night, so that we could meet 3 couples who we have met on seperate cruises! How special is that??????? LuAnn

• 2 weeks later...
Can anybody tell me (or guess for me) what the minimum number of guests required for a meet & mingle is? Obviously 25 people is enough and one cabin is a bit rediculous. 15? 10?

Officially, Azamara will host one once 25 members have signed up. However there are numerous reports that they will host regardless of size. They seem to be putting quite the emphasis on these parties, and with the smaller ship size, 25 people is much more difficult to achieve than on the larger Celebrity and RCCL ships.

2 times and have had the "official" party...both times very nice with complimentary munchies and drinks and the Captain has attended along with the CD etc. They really are interested and show that they value CC members input..the CD definately monitors the boards. So just talk it up on your thread and be sure everyone signs up...you should be ok with 25 unless it's a really dead thread..gee that kinda rhymes? :o LuAnn

Hi LuAnn! We met on the Solstice in April. Wasn't it a great trip? We're booked on the Quest for 17th October, Rome to Athens, with a very interesting itinerary. However, the thread is very slow and don't know whether we will manage to raise 25 interested people! But let's hope so.

Busy reading various reports on Quest..

Cheers

Pat

We just returned last evening from a cruise on Azamara's Journey. The Cruise Critic party was amazing! It was held at night and featured drinks and wonderful appetizers. It was attended by the hotel director, guest relations manager, cruise director, captain's club hostess, and many officers. They also had a coffee on the last day of the cruise. The Journey made CC members feel very welcome indeed. The staff on that ship is extraordinary!

Hi LuAnn! We met on the Solstice in April. Wasn't it a great trip? We're booked on the Quest for 17th October, Rome to Athens, with a very interesting itinerary. However, the thread is very slow and don't know whether we will manage to raise 25 interested people! But let's hope so.

Busy reading various reports on Quest..

Cheers

Pat

Yes it was a terrific cruise..loved the ship and we sure had a great group of CCers on board. There are several of us doing the T/A on the Connie in September. Hope you have Captain Smith on the Quest. But he might be on the Journey as he left the Quest back in early March for vacation. Enjoy...we love Azamara! LuAnn

We just returned last evening from a cruise on Azamara's Journey. The Cruise Critic party was amazing! It was held at night and featured drinks and wonderful appetizers. It was attended by the hotel director, guest relations manager, cruise director, captain's club hostess, and many officers. They also had a coffee on the last day of the cruise. The Journey made CC members feel very welcome indeed. The staff on that ship is extraordinary!

We were on in March and had a wonderful time! I'm jealous! LuAnn

Because there were about 50 Cruise Critics on Journey's May 23-June 6 cruise from Barcelona to Copenhagen, the Azamara folks hosted three get togethers (maybe more, but we attended three), the first in the Looking Glass Lounge. There was also a koffee klatch in Michael's Club/library. But the best was a cocktail party held in two suites, which were generously opened to Cruise Critic members. Azamara provided the drinks (including Mumms champagne) and hors d'oeuvres and both John Howell, the cruise director and Philip Herbert, the hotel director were there to ensure we were all having a great time.

Because there were about 50 Cruise Critics on Journey's May 23-June 6 cruise from Barcelona to Copenhagen, the Azamara folks hosted three get togethers (maybe more, but we attended three), the first in the Looking Glass Lounge. There was also a koffee klatch in Michael's Club/library. But the best was a cocktail party held in two suites, which were generously opened to Cruise Critic members. Azamara provided the drinks (including Mumms champagne) and hors d'oeuvres and both John Howell, the cruise director and Philip Herbert, the hotel director were there to ensure we were all having a great time.

Actually, the party in our suites was hosted by Andy and me and by Alicia and Dustin. It was our idea, we planned it, and the champagne and drinks all came from us. We decided to share our suites and our champagne with all the cruise critic members. We had fun throwing the party and were pleased at the great turnout, including Liesl, Philip, and John. We included them in our invitation list and also many officers. The captain called us and apologized for not attending our party because he was taking the ship out of Antwerp! What a great captain!

I mention all this because we don't want other CC members to compare and think that the Journey threw three parties for us and not for them.

P.S. Hope you enjoyed our party!

Sheila and Andy

We are on Quest from 6th September and hope to enjoy a CC meet & mingle - I say hope because our previous experience on Celebrity Mercury out of LA on 11th May was a bit dissapointing due to being a morning meet with no alcohol and no ships officers except the Cruise Director's assistant (coffee, tea biscuits and orange squash not juice). We did get to meet a few others from the roll call, other than that poor show.

I don't think sharing the Navigator with smokers and other sundry people actually helped.

Archived